Just bought a giant sedona

SparkErosion

Aug 6, 2009
Hello everyone! My name is kevin and I'm completely new to bikes in general, I dont' know what brand is good what isn't, but I think that brands that sell at places like walmart (schwinn), or (mongoose) are inferior? What about the brand giant?

I went into a bike shop today and spent $380 (plus tax) on a sedona giant. I'm 5'7''. He mentioned to me something I didn't know, that when you get off your bike you stand between the vertical bar, but it can't be too high or too low.

I'm not sure if this is a good price or not, I've done some research and found the MSRB for a sedona giant is $500, and then I've seen people pay only $300.

I would love to learn more about the giant brand, I assume this is a good quality brand, better than what you'd find over, say, walmart?

I'm 21 as well and I am into my second week of my weight loss/healthy lifestyle regime. I took up running for the first week but noticed I was getting severe pain in my shins that ache every now and then, and after I'm done running severe pain. I was told if I continue with this I could possibly get hairline fractures in my ankle, so I decided to go biking instead of running. And I think its more fun. So far I've lost 6 lbs, (I'm 234), I talked to the owner of the store and he said that I shouldn't pop the tire on the bike being too heavy...my dad said I could.

Anyway, my last bike was a NEXT I bought at a place like walmart, It was fun but it seems like every bike I get a thorn or something gets in the tire and it goes flat. Unfortunately, I didn't have the funds to have them flat proof my tires on this new bike, I was told also that a certain type of flat tire proofing makes the tire harder to grade, I noticed this too with my first bike. However, they said they use a different method and an (innertube I think?) that doesn't have this problem.

Sorry for the long read, the bike is comfortable, I got to test ride it, and I mainly want to use it to travel around the streets for excerise. I hope I did ok! looking forward to hearing from you experts :D

No expert here, but from what I've seen, a lot of people get Giants. But most manufacturers have their good quality bikes, and their slightly less quality bikes. Typically the difference is in the materials used (steel vs. aluminum vs. carbon fiber) and the quality of the components (shifters, wheels, etc.).

As far as flat proofing your tire, I think it would be better to just carry a patch kit and a pump, or an extra tube with you. In my experience, flat proofing usually involves filling your innertubes with this green goo that's just a horrible mess. There is also a tire liner that I think some people use that goes in between the innertube and the tire and that's supposed to help with punctures.

Mine came with a manual. Go back to the bike store. They probably have it laying around in the back somewhere.

Again, no expert, and I'm new to the forum, but just saying a little of what I know. Good luck with cycling! It'll serve you good.