Just bought a Trek 1500

shrubby32

Jul 12, 2006
Trek was running a sale on the Trek 1500 Discovery Bikes. Just went down to my local bs and picked one up. It's my first road bike and I am pretty excited. I've been riding a Trek 7.2 FX and wanted to go a lot faster! Got messured and they are getting it ready, should be here by Friday. Anyone ever ride a 1500, what do you think. Good deal or not at $1000?

shrubby32 said:
Trek was running a sale on the Trek 1500 Discovery Bikes. Just went down to my local bs and picked one up. It's my first road bike and I am pretty excited. I've been riding a Trek 7.2 FX and wanted to go a lot faster! Got messured and they are getting it ready, should be here by Friday. Anyone ever ride a 1500, what do you think. Good deal or not at $1000?

Sounds like a reasonable deal at $1,000. I was actually fitted on the 1500, but bought the 1000 (didn't want to shell out the extra coin, given that I'm just getting back into road cycling after nearly 20 years off the bike). My 1000 is also in the Disco blue color scheme. Now get out & ride it!

Congratulations on your new bike! My husband and I just bought new bikes. He bought the Trek 1500 and I got the gorgeous Trek Madone 5.2. Did your 1500 come with the ultegra or 105 rear derailleur? His bike has a red/white/blue paint job but came with the ultegra rear derailleur. We looked at the discovery paint scheme but that had a 105 rear derailleur. Anyway, he loves his new bike and said the shifting is incredibly smooth and the bike is nice and fast, it is also pretty lightweight for a entry/mid level road bike :) Have a great time riding your new bike!

Deb76 said:
Congratulations on your new bike! My husband and I just bought new bikes. He bought the Trek 1500 and I got the gorgeous Trek Madone 5.2. Did your 1500 come with the ultegra or 105 rear derailleur? His bike has a red/white/blue paint job but came with the ultegra rear derailleur. We looked at the discovery paint scheme but that had a 105 rear derailleur. Anyway, he loves his new bike and said the shifting is incredibly smooth and the bike is nice and fast, it is also pretty lightweight for a entry/mid level road bike :) Have a great time riding your new bike!

It does come with the ultegra! Thanks!!

Deb76 said:
You know what its weird. i just bought a trek 1500 and it came with a 105 rear. but like two weeks earlier i test rode it and it had the ultegra. i'm thinking i might have gotten ripped off:confused:

Deb76 said:
You know what its weird. I recently bought a trek 1500 with the discovery paint job and it came with a 105 rear. but about two weeks earlier i had test ridden it and it had a ultegra rear. I also got a crappy worn down quick release. i'm thinking i got ripped off because i thought all the 07 1500s came with Ultegra rears:confused:

I also thought that one coming with a 105 vs. the ultegra derailleur was strange. My husband asked what the difference was being they had both the 105 and ultegra 1500's there and the store employee said the only difference was the rear derailleur. Both bikes were the same price which I think is even more strange but he of course opted for the ultegra version. I have talked with many people regarding components and all have said the 105 shifts silky smooth just like the ultegra does and that there really is not much difference between the two now.

Deb76 said:
I also thought that one coming with a 105 vs. the ultegra derailleur was strange. My husband asked what the difference was being they had both the 105 and ultegra 1500's there and the store employee said the only difference was the rear derailleur. Both bikes were the same price which I think is even more strange but he of course opted for the ultegra version. I have talked with many people regarding components and all have said the 105 shifts silky smooth just like the ultegra does and that there really is not much difference between the two now.
well mines been pretty crappy on the smaller chainwheel. If i'm gonna pay i might as well get the better part right?

I would check with the place you bought it from. Our bike store that we have purchased all of our bikes from has a 30 day return policy. If for some reason you decide you want a different bike or if you simply don't want it as long as it's in perfect condition they will refund the full purchase price. Maybe your bike store offers something similar? I hope it all works out for you and that you can get the 1500 with the ultegra :)

Deb76 said:
I would check with the place you bought it from. Our bike store that we have purchased all of our bikes from has a 30 day return policy. If for some reason you decide you want a different bike or if you simply don't want it as long as it's in perfect condition they will refund the full purchase price. Maybe your bike store offers something similar? I hope it all works out for you and that you can get the 1500 with the ultegra :)
Well i emailed trek yesterday and got a reply today (wow that was fast!) and they said that the double crankset comes with a 105 and the triple comes with an ultegra and then said something about them reserving the right to change parts depending on availabilty. So theres my answer seeing as i have a double. Maybe i should trade for a triple?

I have a Trek Madone 5.2 with ultegra and it's a double. My previous bike had a triple chainring but to be honest I really never used the third one. Do you do alot of climbing with steep hills? I think that the third chainring is really only used with super steep hills but if you do alot of climbing then the three instead of two would most likely help you :)

Hi I also purchased at 1500 w/Discovery paint on sale....the Tour Mania thing probably the same sale u got. Anyways, is your crank a dual Ultegra or a triple 105 like the specs on the website says....because mine came with an Ultegra crank.

My husband's 1500 has the triple with 105 front derailleur. The strange thing though is it has a silver polished bontrager crank on it instead of it having a 105 or ultegra crank.

I also bought the 1500 and it has the ultegra. I talked to my LBS guy and he told me that Trek sold so many that they started to make the discovery paint out of the 2007 models that have the ultegra.

ya know I just noticed I also have a 105 rear derailleur and my tires are Select instead of Race lite. I just e-mailed my LBS hopefully they get back to me, I'll probably swing by tomorrow too to ask. I'm kinda feeling a bit ripped off too, I got it on sale but how much money did I really save if Trek downgraded the components?

I bought my 1500 in August of 05 and it came with 105 front and ultegra rear. 105 STIs and nine speed. Has the red, white and blue paint scheme, I think it was the old USPS colors. Only downside is the Bontrager Select tires, but I guess they aren't that bad. Anyhoo, got it for $900, so I must have gotten a decent bargain, even though it was a year ago.