Just bought a trek 5200 - Wow! Awesome!

Bob s.

May 9, 2003
Wow! So awesome! I had no idea my old road bike flexed so much until I rode this up a steep short hill. Wow, what a difference! Also, at speed I can't believe how quiet it is, I don't know if its the bladed spokes or what but wow.
One quick question, the new style neck adjusts weird. This is probably standard now on all good bikes. Are the bearings now adjusted by the center bolt? If so, the handlbars are now held to the fork by the two bolts at the back of the neck, right? What is the proper way to adjust the bearings correctly? I'm so used to the old way! This new style, do you remove those washer things to raise and lower the stem height?
--Bob

I'm jealous....

I have never had a Trek, but it seems to me that they are very rigid. No doubt good for drive train physics and all - but doesn't that make the bike VERY uncomfortable to ride??

ie what is it like after a 100km?

I have a Softride...so comfort is very important to me.

CONGRATULATIONS BOB......you just bought a good bike with a lifetime warranty,just ordered the 5500 frameset......can't wait man.good choice bob.

I am about to test a Trek 5200, having read many good things about it. I just read, however, that it is not good to carry a carbon fiber frame with a car rack that uses a body clamp. Since this is what I am currently using, does anyone know a good way to pad it?

Originally posted by John Kalish
I am about to test a Trek 5200, having read many good things about it. I just read, however, that it is not good to carry a carbon fiber frame with a car rack that uses a body clamp. Since this is what I am currently using, does anyone know a good way to pad it?

Why not buy a set of roof racks for your car? they don't cost much more the the one you already have!

cheers

John where did you read bout the news saying that its bad to clamp carbon fibre bikes using body clamps?

Steve - The rack I'm talking about, also called a frame clamp in the article I referred to, is a roof rack. The rack I have is actually a pair of two Yakima/Subaru mounts joined together, which fit on the built-in roof rack of my Subaru. Buying a new one would certainly involve two new mounts, and quite possibly a new rack as well, which would have to be mounted in addition to the Subaru rack.

SniperX - the review which mentioned care of cabon fiber is at
http://www.epinions.com/content_73077722756