Just collected my CR1

Wayno

Sep 2, 2006
Just collected first carbon road bike. I'm putting all my bits on and will go for my first ride on Sat.

I got fitted and it is exactly what I had expected, my last bike (57 top tube) was too big, the Scott is a 54 and feels better on the trainer.

FYI my other choices were, Colnago CLX and Spec Tarmac. CycleWorld (shameless plug for the great staff) had them all and the Scott felt the best and was the most highly recommended.

**** I am happy, I've had to wait 1 month until Netti got the next batch in.

I'll let you know how it rides

I got one; 18,000km and its still an awesome bike to ride.

Still can't imagine replacing it with anything but another CR1.

parawolf said:
I got one; 18,000km and its still an awesome bike to ride.

Still can't imagine replacing it with anything but another CR1.
Cool, can't wait to ride it. The only criticism of the bike is that it's too stiff, what is your opinion of the ride parawolf?

First ride....awesome. The ride is not too stiff as others have said, the carbon frame does a great job in absorbing road buzz. The ride is a bit more upright than I am used to but is better for my neck.

The 10 speed 105 groupset is awesome, I came from ultegra 9 speed and thought I was going backwards but alas, the 10 speed is in a whole different league....front trims work better and rear shifting is smooth.

I upgraded to Token C30A wheels...for the price these are excellent. Read the review in Bicycling Australia.

Today was just a short ride, just to make sure everything was setup right. Tomorrow is the real test .....90-100km.

Oh the only hiccup I had was changing the rear derailleur bolt for a titanium breakaway bolt. When I took off the existing bolt and pin, a spring popped out! Thanks to the great Shimano website I got it back in, but I was a little stressed for a while.

Enough ranting.

First ride....awesome. The ride is not too stiff as others have said, the carbon frame does a great job in absorbing road buzz. The ride is a bit more upright than I am used to but is better for my neck.

The 10 speed 105 groupset is awesome, I came from ultegra 9 speed and thought I was going backwards but alas, the 10 speed is in a whole different league....front trims work better and rear shifting is smooth.

I upgraded to Token C30A wheels...for the price these are excellent. Read the review in Bicycling Australia.

Today was just a short ride, just to make sure everything was setup right. Tomorrow is the real test .....90-100km.

Oh the only hiccup I had was changing the rear derailleur bolt for a titanium breakaway bolt. When I took off the existing bolt and pin, a spring popped out! Thanks to the great Shimano website I got it back in, but I was a little stressed for a while.

Enough ranting.

Wayno said:
Cool, can't wait to ride it. The only criticism of the bike is that it's too stiff, what is your opinion of the ride parawolf?

Maximum torque jumps, i've had people behind me comment on the frame flex. But it isn't noticeable from the saddle.

Wayno said:

Enough ranting.
I have had the CR1 for about 6 months now, awesome bike. Definately not a harsh ride but very stiff when pedalling. The question i have is where did you get the break away bolt from, for the RD? This is one point about this bike that worries me. I have heard of these but wasn't sure where to purchase one. Thankyou, and enjoy the Scott.:)

Derailler bolt was bought on Ebay Shop Toronto Cycle (they have a website as well) Item #170122322956. There are two types a hollow one (6g) and a solid one (30g), I bought both but used the hollow one because I think it would break better! There are also aluminium and titanium types.

I took the Scott out last Sun for a 75km ride, it feels alot more comfortable than my old aluminium bike and has better cornering (my last bike was too big). I couldn't be happier. That said though after about 40km when the legs start feeling the pain, the CR1 was not that different from my aluminium frame...ie. there was negligible performance gain....it's not about the bike right!

I still have to fiddle with the setup as I feel a little cramped but love the responsiveness and stiffness of the CR1. For the price ($2600) nothing beats it.

-wayno

leestevens said:
I have had the CR1 for about 6 months now, awesome bike. Definately not a harsh ride but very stiff when pedalling. The question i have is where did you get the break away bolt from, for the RD? This is one point about this bike that worries me. I have heard of these but wasn't sure where to purchase one. Thankyou, and enjoy the Scott.:)

Wayno said:

Enough ranting.
Probably a silly question - what is a breakaway bolt for the rear derailleur and why would I want one? Is it so that the bolt breaks instead of the frame in a situation with excess stress?

You are correct Ride2work. It is used by mainly mountain bikers these days but is essential if your bike does not have a replacable hanger.

Wayno said:
You are correct Ride2work. It is used by mainly mountain bikers these days but is essential if your bike does not have a replacable hanger.
The CR1 is an awesome looking bike. Way out of my league. I'm looking at upgrading my 10 year old Giant Kronos with a Giant OCR1 which I expect will be a huge step up anyway! Lucky my birthday is close to Christmas because I can justify it to the "ministry of finance" as a combined birthday & Chrissy present. :D :D