Just did my first TT today

The focus on breathing can help because some folks really shortchange themselves with the amount of O2 they take in with each breath. It's easy just to breath into the chest but notice how much more air you take in filling the stomach area first, it's like half of our lung capacity.

For the warmup, it's important not to kill oneself, but you do want to get a little lactate flowing around the system. That just won't happen with easy riding. So that pace that I'm talking about working up through over the 20 mins starts with typical easy endurance pace, then builds into tempo, then for the last few minutes approaches just below what one would do in the effort. The couple of 2 minute efforts (with a few mins easy pedaling in between) are just slightly above what one would do for the effort. In power meter terms that would be ~105% of FTP (Functional Threshold Power: in layman's terms the TT effort someone could hold for one hour), which is the zone known as "VO2", or L5 (in HR terms this is probably about 90%+ of MaxHR). If I was doing anaerobic intervals as part of a set for a workout, "short high effort stuff" as you put it, that would be an intensity of ~120%+ of my FTP. That 15% is a big difference in what one is asking their legs to do but it is a fine line, especially without a powermeter or solid race training. So better to go a little under than a little over.

IMPORTANT: I mentioned 90%maxHR above, but since HR lags behind the effort, you cannot use it to gauge a 2 minute effort accurately. If you try to hit 90%maxHR for your 2 minute warmup "pipe-cleaner", you will have gone too hard. i.e. by the time you are reading 90% you may have toasted your legs, especially if L5/L6 work is not part of your training bread and butter

For a relative noob, if you do 20 mins building up to tempo type speed and then spend a couple mins at what you think you'll be riding at you should be ok. But ideally you do not want to be going your TT speed for the first time, in the TT. Once some lactate has built up and your body has had a chance to clear it out a bit, the mechanism seems to do a little more efficiently the next time.

PS - since HR is all you have, it's better than nothing but a something to pay attention to:
With a consistent power output (which is ideal for a TT) heart rate tends to rise slightly, especially over the duration of your TT (~30 mins). That's long enough for HR to actually be of some use. Everyone's a little different, and the HR at which we hit deflection point varies (that's the point at which your body is producing lactate faster than it can be cleared out and it wont be long before you are unable to keep the power at full gas). This number also changes depending in what kind of shape we are in. Early in the season I hit my deflection point in the low to mid 80's of my maxHR, when I have a good base of fitness and have done some speed work that number is closer to the 90's. That means if I exceed 87-88% of my maxHR during a long steady effort I know I am about to be in BIG trouble. If I am already seeing my HR at 85%max 5 minutes into a 30 minute effort, I know I am about to be in BIG trouble if I don't roll off the throttle a bit... because HR gradually rises through a steady effort. If I am at or close to my deflection HR early in the effort what does that mean? BIG trouble! ;)

Some folks may have a different opinion or a different approach, but If I were using HR to gauge that effort (knowing my own physical parameters), I would want to warmup for 20 minutes or so bringing my HR from about 65 to 80% of my max HR, do a couple strong efforts, then pedal easily around the start area for several mins making sure I had enough to drink and didn't need another pee. Once settled into my corner of the pain cave after making sure I didn't blast out of the gate too hard would ideally want to watch my effort rise steadily over the 30 mins from about 80%max to 88-89%, and then with a couple kilometers left to go just turn the screws till Jesus made his entrance. I would probably roll over the finish at close to 95% of my maxHR (or higher). This approach assumes we know what our actual maxHR is and not just some formulaic derivation like 220-age or some nonsense.

This is what I would call a failed TT, 20k...

my warmup was supposed to be the ride out there but I got lost and then had to TT to the course to make it for my start. Then there was too much time spent cooling off while registering and getting the race # on (I was off the bike for over 20 minutes and a little stressed). I started too hard (notice I am already above my deflection point way too early, and going from 70%maxHR to 90%maxHR is not the way to spend the first 5 minutes of a 30 minute effort). And I wasn't properly hydrated forcing me to ease back temporarily when a calf cramp started to bite (see the dip at about 25mins in). It was a brutally hot day in July and this was on an open aircraft runway with no shade which contributed to the dehydration. You might say kudos to me for staying above 90% of my maxHR for so long but that just meant I spent 30 minutes suffering, not necessarily going fast. Dead last in my Cat. I would have actually completed the course faster entering with a clear mental focus on the task at hand, and riding a more controlled effort that didn't explode early, rose steadily, and finished strong. But another lesson learned.

Louis Garneau helmet and T2 clipons btw ;)

You'd gain some time by loosing the gloves and shaving the guns.

I appreciate the very detailed and informative posts!

Although I don't have a power meter, I do use Trainer Road so I've got at least a ballpark or relative power mesaure to train with. I know what the preceived effort for my power zones feels like (on the trainer, anyway), regardless of how accurate the actual numbers are. Maybe I'll bring the laptop with the trainer rather than try to just guessimate how hard I should go while my mind is fogged from excitement/stress.

I think the lesson of your failed TT is: get there early. Barring anything unforseen, I hope to not make that mistake.

I see you're from Brooklyn. What TT's do you normally race at? I'm from CT and finding races around here isn't easy. So far I've come across the one actual race I registered for, plus a few weeknight club races up in the Boston area that I'd have no hope of making it to in time without taking the day off from work. Sweet helmet. Glad to see I'm not alone in golf ball head land.

Originally Posted by AyeYo
I see you're from Brooklyn. What TT's do you normally race at? I'm from CT and finding races around here isn't easy. So far I've come across the one actual race I registered for, plus a few weeknight club races up in the Boston area that I'd have no hope of making it to in time without taking the day off from work. Sweet helmet. Glad to see I'm not alone in golf ball head land.
Hehe that was in 2011. I sold the golf ball helmet as I'm pretty much a straight up roadie and haven't done a TT since. Truth is I'm not crazy about the discipline, probably because I'm awful at it. Ironically it was an uphill TT I placed 2nd in at Bear Mountain as a teenager that got me hooked on the sport. These days I only usually do about a half dozen races or so a year between Prospect Park, Central Park, and maybe an extra one or two at Floyd Bennet Field (where that TT in the picture was). Occasionally I also do one of the longer races in the Bear Mountain area but that probably wont happen this year.

I'm assuming you check out bike reg: https://www.bikereg.com/

At the end of the day you just gotta roll off the start line, ramp it up and stuff it in a big gear and pedal fast. At 2 miles you should be feeling it. At 4 life should be grim. If you paced it right, 8 miles into a 10 mile TT it's maintenance mode - grin and bear it and revel in the fact that you chose a sport that's so damned hard. At 10 miles resist the urge to get off the bike after the finish line - ride another 10 minutes. If I could do a 29mph ride in a 10 on a bike made from 531 tandem tubing (downtube was too long for 653 or 753 tube sets) and carbon nothing then it can't be that hard.

Note the double chainrings. The inner was a 52, the outer I think was a 57, combined with a 11-18 8speed cassette it gave all the gears that you'd need even in most hilly TT's Some of the courses had prevailing tailwinds and downhills that required a 57x11 top. I still have the Bell Vortex lid and the Descente ribbed (for my pleasure) skinsuit. There's no chance in hell I'd squeeze into it anytime soon. The frame has stripped BB threads and the Shamal wheels and uber sh1t delta brakes are long gone. My prostate is fearing the day I ever try and ride in that position again...

... that said, I'd likely discover I could ride with the bars more than just a few inches higher, put out more power and go faster.

As Sods Law would have it, I threw those old Time shoes out about 3 months before I bought my Speedplay pedals, after going through all my old kit. Those shoes have the same 4 hole mounts as speedplay and had great soles. F**k.

Weight for the steel behemoth - 23 1/4 lbs.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

At 10 miles resist the urge to get off the bike after the finish line - ride another 10 minutes.
+1. And do not, I repeat do not slam a six-pack of beer that same afternoon... it will be days before you fully recover. Go home, take a nap, and then do it ;)

Nice rig Swampy. I suspect the biggest constraint for a rider doing well in a TT is position on the bike, and you certainly got that covered.

... that said, I'd likely discover I could ride with the bars more than just a few inches higher, put out more power and go faster.
That's an interesting point. I actually just read an article yesterday by some sports doctor about the importance of balancing aero positioning with a position that doesn't restrict you metabolically. "Ski slope" style bars were actually recommended, so I'm leaning towards the T1 or T3 now. Those will be more comfortable anyway, so maybe they can do double duty as arm rests on century rides. I think they'll also need the least adjustment to my current riding position to be effective. I don't want to have to keep changing my setup constantly, it's still a road bike and I'm not really a racer.

29mph is craziness. I can't hold that kind of speed for more than a minute, let alone ten miles. The fact you did it on that bike is even more impressive.

I think they'll also need the least adjustment to my current riding position to be effective.
Regardless of bend type current riding position is definitely important to consider. Attaching clip-ons to a road bike, where the rider is typically situated further back in the saddle thus creating a more forward leaning position, is potentially problematic. Anything that diverges significantly from a position the rider is used to will generate a less-than-ideal power producing scenario, and if you haven't spent much time in the new position can expect to be sore after a hard effort.

There is some helpful 101 info on this page: http://aerobars.org/

I ended up going with the T2's as I saw a pic of Jan Ulrich with a pair of short S-bend clip-ons on a road bike during an uphill time trial and his upper body position was similar to his regular position. It turns out most of these bars (regardless of hand position) are adjustable fore/aft, but if you decide to go with something less adjustable than the Profiles the length of the bars is something to keep in mind.

Originally Posted by Charlie M
I am attempting my first TT in the road bike division on Saturday. I haven't done a lot of threshold work so my goal is just to push hard, find a groove that feels right, but remain patient and hope I judge the effort correctly. All these tips are super helpful. Thanks!
Good luck!

That site has some good reading. That'll keep me entertained while bored at work today, thanks!

I think my concern with the T2 is the position it'll force my wrists into. The upward angled bars seem a little more natural on wrists/arms, which according to that article was a worthwhile sacrifice for their added height/less aero position. They look just as adjustable as the rest of the Profile T series bars.

http://www.wiggle.com/profile-t1-plus-aerobars/

EDIT:

After a little more digging, ended up going with these:
http://www.wiggle.com/deda-parabolica-alloy-clip-on-aerobars/?sku=5360385175

Nearly as adjustable as the profile bars, but half the price and 200g lighter. Got the single bend style. If they suck or I end up not liking the slope bend, then on craigslist they'll go and I'll try again.

Originally Posted by danfoz
Good luck!
Thanks! All the info in this thread has been very helpful and if nothing else, confirmed some of my thoughts going into and has relaxed me a bit. My start time is right in the middle, so I will be able to watch a few others go off. I kinda figured with my luck I would go off first as a total rookie.

I just cleaned the bike and its running nice and smooth. Now the rest is up to me. I have a plan that I think my current fitness should be able to execute. We'll see if I judged my fitness correctly.

If I could do a 29mph ride in a 10 on a bike made from 531 tandem tubing (downtube was too long for 653 or 753 tube sets) and carbon nothing then it can't be that hard....

Note the double chainrings. The inner was a 52, the outer I think was a 57, combined with a 11-18 8speed cassette it gave all the gears that you'd need even in most hilly TT's ...
Who needs anything lower than a 52x18 for climbing hills?

Swampy, this is a level of performance most of us will never be able to relate to. Nice work.

Thanks.

It worked for upto about 6 to 7% and a mile or so long. If there was a headwind on that 7% it was was not fun at all... TT's were never fun but that just made it worse.

Now I'm with the masses - well, probably worse actually. LOL Way to overweight to go up hills fast and never put in enough consistent training to go quick - but I can still ride a fair distance if needed so at least something carried over.

Originally Posted by danfoz
+1. And do not, I repeat do not slam a six-pack of beer that same afternoon... it will be days before you fully recover. Go home, take a nap, and then do it ;)

Nice rig Swampy. I suspect the biggest constraint for a rider doing well in a TT is position on the bike, and you certainly got that covered.
It took many months of training on a fully adjustable ergometer to come up with that position. It was an 82 degree seat angle and the top tube was 24.5" and the downtube a mammoth 27.5" - which is why it's tandem tubing. Seat tube is 19". The magic is all the front end - with the very long top tube and a 72 degree head angle and generous rake, the front wheel is way out front and it made for a very stable ride even at almost 50mph hammering that 57x11 still in the tri-bars down some fairly twisty downhills in the early season hilly TT's. It rode that well, I actually contemplated bringing it out of retirement to do long distance brevets on but when removing the bottom bracket shell, half the threads decided to come with it... That needs fixing. It's either the French or Italian threadings that have a reversed thread on that side so I'll probably get a good shop to retap it.

The times certainly came down when I got that bike. Just those few seconds here and there from being about to stay in the TT position all add up. Most of the aero drag is from the rider anyway but it would have been nice to have had a rig as aero as the current TT bikes and a fit like that. I couldn't ride in that position for more than 1hr 40 and it made the last quarter of an hour in 50 mile TT very arduous. I basically had "Shermers neck" at that point and I was glad of a sharp turn or a steepish uphill section despite the required loss of speed. Being a slave to the perceived aero advantage probably wasn't the best.

If I'd have kept racing I was contemplating getting a custom made Corima - similar to the one that Boardman rode to his first hour record. They did one off aero looking frames at a price that wasn't ridiculous.

Well the results are in.

I raced in the non-tt division and took my stock 2013 Allez (I did swap out the tires with some Conti Ultra Races that roll a bit faster). I knew i had some odds against me with the heaviest bike in the class, but its what I have and thought this would be a good workout if nothing else. Plus I was interested in doing something competitive in the world of cycling (outside of duathlons) and crits scare me a bit with my current ability and lack of group ride experience.

The quick summary was that I finished a 10 mile TT in 28:13, averaging 21:25. I placed 12 out of 14 in the division.

I was hoping to average in the low 22's, but it wasn't there today. Considering I am basically finishing up a base phase and haven't done any specific work for this, I can't be that dissappointed with the effort. I went off pretty well with a nice consistent effort that I withstood the entire ride. The pace fell off slightly in mile 7 where I lost a bit of focus, but I got it back with a "I need this to be over with" last mile.

A few things that I knew, but were confirmed. I am really comfortable at 95-100 rpm. I don't have the strength at 80-85 rpm to really push out some faster miles with pure power. When I dropped down in the last mile to really grind out some speed, it wasn't pretty. So I know where I need to work. That and saving up for some new wheels.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread. It really assured me how to approach the effort. I am going to look for a nother that fits into the calendar.

Well the results are in.

I raced in the non-tt division and took my stock 2013 Allez (I did swap out the tires with some Conti Ultra Races that roll a bit faster). I knew i had some odds against me with the heaviest bike in the class, but its what I have and thought this would be a good workout if nothing else. Plus I was interested in doing something competitive in the world of cycling (outside of duathlons) and crits scare me a bit with my current ability and lack of group ride experience.

The quick summary was that I finished a 10 mile TT in 28:13, averaging 21:25. I placed 12 out of 14 in the division.

I was hoping to average in the low 22's, but it wasn't there today. Considering I am basically finishing up a base phase and haven't done any specific work for this, I can't be that dissappointed with the effort. I went off pretty well with a nice consistent effort that I withstood the entire ride. The pace fell off slightly in mile 7 where I lost a bit of focus, but I got it back with a "I need this to be over with" last mile.

A few things that I knew, but were confirmed. I am really comfortable at 95-100 rpm. I don't have the strength at 80-85 rpm to really push out some faster miles with pure power. When I dropped down in the last mile to really grind out some speed, it wasn't pretty. So I know where I need to work. That and saving up for some new wheels.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread. It really assured me how to approach the effort. I am going to look for a nother that fits into the calendar.
Good job! Thanks for the update.

Believe it or not the weight of the bike doesn't matter all that much on the flat but deeper section wheels will certainly help some. Shaving off 3lbs or adding aero wheels would be something like -5secs(or less) vs. -30secs(or more).

I'm the same way with cadence, a lot of blokes do fine a little lower some of the best TT riders around actually, but there are also other TT greats who spin like hummingbirds as well. I can hold efforts in the 80's, just not as long as when I'm drilling it at ~95.

If I did another TT it would be in the "cannibal" non-aero division. I can hammer in the drops with nice bent elbows till the cows come home, but I just don't have the equipment or discipline specific training desire to be competitive with the specialists.

TT's are hard, it's all about pacing and knowing your limits though. If you go to deep early, you'll do a much slower time than if you start out conservatively.

Well the results are in.

Congrats on the ride.

Before you spend big money on wheels, get the aero bars (aka tri-bars), an aero helmet and a skinsuit. Ditch the mitts (unless you get the TT specific mitts) and get some lycra shoe covers. If your "non-tt division" doesn't allow aero bars then you have to work on what you have within the rules - a narrower set of bars and figure out how with some level of comfort to get your back flatter and make sure your forearms aren't sticking out. If full TT aero helmets are not allow then something like the new aero road helmets like the Specialized Evade are worth a look and off nice savings over a traditional road helmet.

Look at buying a rear wheel cover rather than a full disk if funds are tight - as long as they're allowed. If you're looking for a rear aero wheel for TT's only, go for a disk every single time unless it's really hilly. If you're looking for a TT and road wheelset then go for a medium depth one like the HED Jet 6 (or 6+), Zipp 404 or similar.

If you're having problems keeping focus then try and work on your pacing in training. I used to find that hard 5 to 8 minute intervals helped with that as well as being great training. You really need to get a nice base of hard 2 to 3 hour rides to make long lasting gains physically before doing those but mentally they work well.

Another thing to look at is your gearing. If you have a cassette that gives you more than a 1 tooth difference for the gears you're in, then you need a different cassette. You definitely don't want a jump like a 16 to an 18. It really doesn't matter what the top or bottom gears are, look for a 14,15,16,17

Sorry havent been by been out too much.
I just registered for my first TT today. Any noob to noob advice you can give me?
the only advice that I can give is the following.

Overfill the tires,
start in granny gears to get yourself up to speed
don't blow your wad on the first few miles
Blow your wad on the last mile
Curse at the wind
leave the water bottles at the car.
monitor your heart rate. Nothing else matters.