Just Finished Building My New Ride!!



Ted B

New Member
Sep 12, 2003
625
0
0
Much appreciation goes out to the members of this forum for the valuable input I've gathered from varioius discussions. After trials on various frames and using various equipment, I honed down on what I wanted, and finally pieced it together, part by part:

Frame: 53cm Bianchi EV4 in '03 TDF Team Colors
Fork: Bianchi Reparto Corse Full Carbon
Group: 2004 Record
Crankset: FSA Team Issue Carbon
Wheels: Campy Hyperon Carbon Tubular
Tires: TUFO Tubular
Pedals: Record
Headset: FSA ACB
Stem: FSA OS-115
Bars: FSA Wing Pro
Post: FSA K-Force Lite Carbon
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR / Titanium Rails
Cage: Elite Patao Carbon

Weight: 15.6lb (7082g)

It's been rainy here today, but I intend to put it through its paces ASAP!
 

dhk

New Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,259
0
0
75
Wow...first class. At 15.6 lbs, should be a real road rocket. I like your choice of the Record and FSA components.

Hope you enjoy it for many miles.
 

Ted B

New Member
Sep 12, 2003
625
0
0
Originally posted by boudreaux
Watch out for the stem and spacer police.

Ha ha! I was playing with things to check out different bar heights, and I wondered who would be the first to mention that. No worries, I wouldn't actually go out riding it that way.

You'll be relieved to know that the stem is now in proper orientation, and I have settled on 20mm of spacers.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
Originally posted by Ted B
Ha ha! I was playing with things to check out different bar heights, and I wondered who would be the first to mention that. No worries, I wouldn't actually go out riding it that way.

You'll be relieved to know that the stem is now in proper orientation, and I have settled on 20mm of spacers.
I feel better already.:D
 

Ted B

New Member
Sep 12, 2003
625
0
0
Originally posted by dhk
Wow...first class. At 15.6 lbs, should be a real road rocket. I like your choice of the Record and FSA components.

Well, one can easily spend a top-level bike's worth of cash just tinkering around with lesser gear, so I 'cleaned house' and just got the best I could with the proceeds. Boy, am I glad I did!

The Record group was a real splurge on my part, but I liked my 2001 Chorus setup so well that I figured I'd just find the best price I could and do it.

I considered the ITM Millenium Superover bar/stem and a campy carbon post, but the FSA stuff is just so well done that I went with all of it. This frame/fork assembly comes with a pro-level integrated FSA headset, so I figured why not. The flat tops on that Wing-Pro bar are very easy on the hands.

The FSA carbon crankset was a $110 upgrade, and I've read such good things about it that I went with it. Likewise, I spent an extra $12 to get the top FSA BB.

The 2003 Hyperons I got used (excellent condition), otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford them. Now, I just need to get matching tires.

I've only taken it out for a short spin, so comparisons between this and my previous 2001 EV2/Chorus/Open-Pro are brief. The two things immediately most noticeable to me are the stiffness of the FSA carbon crankset, and the amazing nimbleness of the Campy Hyperon carbon wheels. You can accelerate like an animal on this machine, so the 'motor' can make no excuses. :p
 

lokstah

New Member
Sep 30, 2003
2,164
0
0
Awesome, Ted. Great job. I particularly like the trans-atlantic component selection -- your dedication to FSA give this thing character, particularly on an Italian, Record-equipped frame!

And look at that weight, too... real mountain goat stuff. Slick.
 

Ted B

New Member
Sep 12, 2003
625
0
0
Originally posted by zewol
wath is 'spacer police'?????

The 'stem and spacer police' are a mysterious group of pro-level riders who wear black jerseys and shorts and ride black pro-level bikes (make unknown). They patrol every city and country road, and go to club rides in search of riders who break the stem and spacer laws by setting up their bikes with tall stacks of spacers and/or stems that are mounted in the wrong position.

If the 'stem and spacer police' catch you breaking the stem and spacer laws, they will stop you, ridicule you, and break your frame, wheels, and components. You will be forced to pay a large fine, and you will be condemned to forever ride a cheap bike. :eek:
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
Originally posted by Ted B
Much appreciation goes out to the members of this forum for the valuable input I've gathered from varioius discussions. After trials on various frames and using various equipment, I honed down on what I wanted, and finally pieced it together, part by part:

Frame: 53cm Bianchi EV4 in '03 TDF Team Colors
Fork: Bianchi Reparto Corse Full Carbon
Group: 2004 Record
Crankset: FSA Team Issue Carbon
Wheels: Campy Hyperon Carbon Tubular
Tires: TUFO Tubular
Pedals: Record
Headset: FSA ACB
Stem: FSA OS-115
Bars: FSA Wing Pro
Post: FSA K-Force Lite Carbon
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR / Titanium Rails
Cage: Elite Patao Carbon

Weight: 15.6lb (7082g)

It's been rainy here today, but I intend to put it through its paces ASAP!

It's a lovely job that you've done.
I'm very envious.

This might seem impolite but can I ask you how much all of this cost you ie. how much in total did you spend on parts ?
 

Ted B

New Member
Sep 12, 2003
625
0
0
It's not impolite to ask. I don't mind sharing that information. After all, almost all of us here are consumers.

All in USD:

Frame/Fork/Headset - $1700
Record Group with FSA crank and BB - ~$1400
Wheels/Tires (used) - $1100
Pedals - $175
Stem/Bars/Post/Spacers/Saddle - ~$325
Cage - $80


Altogether I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $4800 invested in hardware. I sold off my other two bikes for around $1700, and two guitars for around $1500, so my out-of-pocket was around $1600 or so. I also bought a Vetta V100HR computer, so that's another $100 or so.

I got some help with critical component assembly from my LBS (The Spokesman/Mandeville, LA), who was surprisingly gracious and helpful. They are always watching the 2003 TDF DVDs in that shop, so I figured they might not complain about piecing together an 'Ullrich bike' with parts I obtained overseas. In fact, they told me that with all the jalopy bikes people bring them to service, it was a pleasure to work with something really nice for a change. The tech informed me that he took it out for a few laps around the block...just to make sure everything was set up properly of course. :p

It wasn't cheap, but it was damn well worth it. I decided that instead of having several 'middle-of-the-road' bikes, I'd cash in and get one really good one. I will definitely get my money's worth out of this one...and then some.
 

Ted B

New Member
Sep 12, 2003
625
0
0
Originally posted by lokstah
Awesome, Ted. Great job. I particularly like the trans-atlantic component selection -- your dedication to FSA give this thing character, particularly on an Italian, Record-equipped frame!


Thanks for the nod, and I concur regarding FSA. The FSA headset came with the team-level frame/fork sets, and FSA components are highly regarded on both sides of the pond. I almost went with the 'traditional' ITM Millenium bar/stem, but then I just decided to make it FSA all around. Glad I did.
 

JuneBug

New Member
Dec 15, 2003
184
0
0
Originally posted by Ted B

If the 'stem and spacer police' catch you breaking the stem and spacer laws, they will stop you, ridicule you, and break your frame, wheels, and components. You will be forced to pay a large fine, and you will be condemned to forever ride a cheap bike. :eek:

I think the S & S make you stop and take the spacers out. as a first offense. I saw them once just stand there and watch as the poor guy had to remove ALL the offending spacers and put them on the ground for photo identification and prints. he had to use his bare fingers! and teeth!
second offense?? they strip search you for extra spacers . THen make you ride naked.
On a cheap bike.
with the original saddle that comes with the frame.
 

lokstah

New Member
Sep 30, 2003
2,164
0
0
Originally posted by JuneBug
I think the S & S make you stop and take the spacers out. as a first offense. I saw them once just stand there and watch as the poor guy had to remove ALL the offending spacers and put them on the ground for photo identification and prints. he had to use his bare fingers! and teeth!
second offense?? they strip search you for extra spacers . THen make you ride naked.
On a cheap bike.
with the original saddle that comes with the frame.
Gasp! I've seen this before! Though I thought at the time it was a bizzare fetish wedding ceremony... but the S&S cops make more sense. That guy had way too nice a bike to be a minister.
 

lokstah

New Member
Sep 30, 2003
2,164
0
0
Alas, no; he was the dreaded captain of the SSP's local chapter. Grusome jackass.

I'm safe from their gestapo madness for now. I'm sporting two baby-sized hoops under a -10 degree stem, and a really high seatpost... I'm all butt when in the drops, streamlined as a shaved monkey coated in shortening. Come to think of it, my frame is black, as well. I should apply for membership.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
Originally posted by Ted B
It's not impolite to ask. I don't mind sharing that information. After all, almost all of us here are consumers.

All in USD:

Frame/Fork/Headset - $1700
Record Group with FSA crank and BB - ~$1400
Wheels/Tires (used) - $1100
Pedals - $175
Stem/Bars/Post/Spacers/Saddle - ~$325
Cage - $80


Altogether I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $4800 invested in hardware. I sold off my other two bikes for around $1700, and two guitars for around $1500, so my out-of-pocket was around $1600 or so. I also bought a Vetta V100HR computer, so that's another $100 or so.

I got some help with critical component assembly from my LBS (The Spokesman/Mandeville, LA), who was surprisingly gracious and helpful. They are always watching the 2003 TDF DVDs in that shop, so I figured they might not complain about piecing together an 'Ullrich bike' with parts I obtained overseas. In fact, they told me that with all the jalopy bikes people bring them to service, it was a pleasure to work with something really nice for a change. The tech informed me that he took it out for a few laps around the block...just to make sure everything was set up properly of course. :p

It wasn't cheap, but it was damn well worth it. I decided that instead of having several 'middle-of-the-road' bikes, I'd cash in and get one really good one. I will definitely get my money's worth out of this one...and then some.

Ted - this is very a very reasonable amount of money to spend when you consider the components.
It's obvious that you're prepared to sacrifice other luxuries (such as guitars !) for the sake of your machine.

I still say it's a lovely piece of work and it's obviously got one proud owner !
 

dhk

New Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,259
0
0
75
Originally posted by Ted B
Thanks for the nod, and I concur regarding FSA. The FSA headset came with the team-level frame/fork sets, and FSA components are highly regarded on both sides of the pond. I almost went with the 'traditional' ITM Millenium bar/stem, but then I just decided to make it FSA all around. Glad I did.

You're in good company with FSA/Campy mix. On Cinelli's website, they are showing FSA cranks on their built bikes too.

I like high-quality american components also. On my new US-made frame, I've got the Ouzo Pro fork, FSA Team Carbon Triple, FSA OS BB and Pro headset, Thomson post, Ritchey bar and stem, and the Velomax Circuit Comps. And Speedplay.

Lot's of fine stuff out there, and I figure Shimano doesn't need all my business!
 

Similar threads