Just finished dis-branding my bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Well, i peeled off all the brand stickers on my bike. maybe now i can get respect on the trail for
    my skill, rather than it being blown away by bike brand name. That and the $70 seatpost, with it's
    name clearly painted on it, should make the bike look a little better. I'll just tell people it's a
    custom frame.

    I have been thinking too, maybe if i strip all the paint off, and then weld some gussets into place,
    perhaps it could actually be a fairly decent frame, aside from the loads of weight. Then i could
    technically call it a custom frame. I have noticed a few spots of rust on a few scratches, so i will
    have to do something (somebody told me clear nail polish will protect the scratches?)

    I can't remember though (for the frame builders here), does CroMo have to be heat treated
    after welding?

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | Well, i peeled off all the brand stickers on my bike. maybe now i can get respect on the trail for
    | my skill, rather than it being blown away by bike brand name. That and the $70 seatpost, with it's
    | name clearly painted on it, should make the bike look a little better. I'll just tell people it's
    | a custom frame.
    |
    | I have been thinking too, maybe if i strip all the paint off, and then weld some gussets into
    | place, perhaps it could actually be a fairly decent frame, aside from the loads of weight. Then i
    | could technically call it a custom frame. I have noticed a few spots of rust on a few scratches,
    | so i will have to do something (somebody told me clear nail polish will protect the scratches?)
    |
    | I can't remember though (for the frame builders here), does CroMo have to be heat treated after
    | welding?
    |
    | ~Travis

    <sighs and shakes head>

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/18/2003

  3. Technician wrote:
    > Well, i peeled off all the brand stickers on my bike. maybe now i can get respect on the trail for
    > my skill, rather than it being blown away by bike brand name. That and the $70 seatpost, with it's
    > name clearly painted on it, should make the bike look a little better. I'll just tell people it's
    > a custom frame.
    >
    > I have been thinking too, maybe if i strip all the paint off, and then weld some gussets into
    > place, perhaps it could actually be a fairly decent frame, aside from the loads of weight. Then i
    > could technically call it a custom frame. I have noticed a few spots of rust on a few scratches,
    > so i will have to do something (somebody told me clear nail polish will protect the scratches?)
    >
    > I can't remember though (for the frame builders here), does CroMo have to be heat treated after
    > welding?
    >
    > ~Travis

    Um, so you're adding heavy gussets to a heavy ass frame without knowing much about the effects of
    your welding? Not to mention adding stress risers to a frame thats already suspect...

    Dude, what stickers are on the frame don't determine the frame's quality. Neither do unnecessary
    gussets. I personally would be more impressed at somebody who was smoking people on super-technical
    stuff on a huffy than somebody who was riding around with a "custom" frame that any biker could tell
    was just a walgoose with a nice seatpost.

    Stop spending money on that bike, dude! Fix up the rust, then leave it be. SAVE money, then you can
    get a better bike at some point and spend a whole lot less in the long run.

    Jon Bond has personally seen a walgoose's headtube snap off from the "suspension fork" hitting a
    rock at about 15mph. It was pretty funny....

  4. John G

    John G Guest

    Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > Technician wrote: Stop spending money on that bike, dude! Fix up the rust, then leave it be. SAVE
    > money, then you can get a better bike at some point and spend a whole lot less in the long run.

    Travis, my dear boy.. tell you what I'm gonna do.... If it'll fit you I have a GT-Timberline (Steel)
    frame with an RST shock, you can HAVE for the cost of shipping.

    Tell me your stand-over height (inseam) and if it is close, it's yours!

  5. John G

    John G Guest

    John G wrote:

    > Jonathan Bond wrote:
    >
    >> Technician wrote: Stop spending money on that bike, dude! Fix up the rust, then leave it be. SAVE
    >> money, then you can get a better bike at some point and spend a whole lot less in the long run.
    >

    > Travis, my dear boy.. tell you what I'm gonna do.... If it'll fit you I have a GT-Timberline
    > (Steel) frame with an RST shock, you can HAVE for the cost of shipping.
    >
    > Tell me your stand-over height (inseam) and if it is close, it's yours!

    I rode it for over a year and it didn;t break so it's not like it it is a POS or anything :

    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/catamount.gif
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/deadhead-rock.jpg

    I MIGHT oven be able to twhow in a stem, seat-post and BB, if I can find them in the pile-O-Crap.

  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > Well, i peeled off all the brand stickers on my bike. maybe now i can get respect on the trail for
    > my skill, rather than it being blown away by bike brand name. That and the $70 seatpost, with it's
    > name clearly painted on it, should make the bike look a little better. I'll just tell people it's
    > a custom frame.
    >
    > I have been thinking too, maybe if i strip all the paint off, and then weld some gussets into
    > place, perhaps it could actually be a fairly decent frame, aside from the loads of weight. Then i
    > could technically call it a custom frame. I have noticed a few spots of rust on a few scratches,
    > so i will have to do something (somebody told me clear nail polish will protect the scratches?)
    >
    > I can't remember though (for the frame builders here), does CroMo have to be heat treated after
    > welding?

    Trav, if you have to ask this question, you don't need to be practicing welding thinwall tubing on a
    primary bike.

    Pete

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:36:00 -0400, John G wrote:

    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/deadhead-rock.jpg

    What a great picture! It didn't make as good a Windows background as I expected, tho - couldn't see
    the design through all my friggin' icons. :-(

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > John G wrote:
    > >

    > > Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > >
    > >> Technician wrote: Stop spending money on that bike, dude! Fix up the rust, then leave it be.
    > >> SAVE money, then you can get a better bike at some point and spend a whole lot less in the
    > >> long run.
    > >

    > > Travis, my dear boy.. tell you what I'm gonna do.... If it'll fit you I have a GT-Timberline
    > > (Steel) frame with an RST shock, you can HAVE for the cost of shipping.
    > >
    > > Tell me your stand-over height (inseam) and if it is close, it's yours!
    >
    > I rode it for over a year and it didn;t break so it's not like it it is a POS or anything :
    >
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/catamount.gif
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/deadhead-rock.jpg
    >
    > I MIGHT oven be able to twhow in a stem, seat-post and BB, if I can find them in the pile-O-Crap.

    Well, stand-over is about 36" w/shoes.

    How much would the shipping be? (have several applications in, though so far no return on
    any of them)

    I have a seat-post i could use, assuming the ID of the frame matches
    (28.6mm), a stem and BB would be handy if you can find one.

    I am assuming i can temporarily mount the other parts i have now on until i can afford the upgrade.

    I wasn't really expecting this, but i will gladly take the offer (if i can afford s/h, though i
    expect i should be able to if it is sent low grade ups or something).

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  9. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > John G wrote:
    > >

    > > Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > >
    > >> Technician wrote: Stop spending money on that bike, dude! Fix up the rust, then leave it be.
    > >> SAVE money, then you can get a better bike at some point and spend a whole lot less in the
    > >> long run.
    > >

    > > Travis, my dear boy.. tell you what I'm gonna do.... If it'll fit you I have a GT-Timberline
    > > (Steel) frame with an RST shock, you can HAVE for the cost of shipping.
    > >
    > > Tell me your stand-over height (inseam) and if it is close, it's yours!
    >
    > I rode it for over a year and it didn;t break so it's not like it it is a POS or anything :
    >
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/catamount.gif
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/deadhead-rock.jpg
    >
    > I MIGHT oven be able to twhow in a stem, seat-post and BB, if I can find them in the pile-O-Crap.

    I had a GT Timberline years ago. Good sturdy bike that served me well.

    Trav, gestures don't get nicer than this.

    Andy Chequer

  10. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    You can't polish a dog turd.

    I drive a Ford Escort. I know these things.

    Andy Chequer

  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  12. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <KYhqa.427$u%[email protected]>, "Andy Chequer"
    <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> says...

    > "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > John G wrote:

    > > > Travis, my dear boy.. tell you what I'm gonna do.... If it'll fit you I have a GT-Timberline
    > > > (Steel) frame with an RST shock, you can HAVE for the cost of shipping.
    > > >
    > > > Tell me your stand-over height (inseam) and if it is close, it's yours!
    > >
    > > I rode it for over a year and it didn;t break so it's not like it it is a POS or anything :
    > >
    > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/catamount.gif
    > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/deadhead-rock.jpg
    > >
    > > I MIGHT oven be able to twhow in a stem, seat-post and BB, if I can find them in the
    > > pile-O-Crap.
    >
    > I had a GT Timberline years ago. Good sturdy bike that served me well.
    >
    > Trav, gestures don't get nicer than this.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    I fully agree.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  13. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:36:00 -0400, John G wrote:
    > >
    > > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/deadhead-rock.jpg
    > >
    > > What a great picture! It didn't make as good a Windows background as I expected, tho - couldn't
    > > see the design through all my friggin' icons. :-(
    >
    > So move your friggin' icons! :-}
    >
    > Bill "saved pic after reading your note" S.

    not entirely related, Gnome WindowManager does not have icons, therefore it will not block the
    background picture (and how many know what gnome WM is...) ;-)

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  14. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
    > > Trav, gestures don't get nicer than this.
    > >
    > > Andy Chequer

    > I fully agree.
    >
    > ~Travis

    And if you need more parts to finish the frame I have a bunch of stuff that you can have. Email me
    if you get the frame.

    Gary in VA

  15. Derral

    Derral Guest

    > I can't remember though (for the frame builders here), does CroMo have to be heat treated after
    > welding?

    It's probably not CroMo, if it were it would not be the cheap frame you are describing, just plain
    mild steel, more than likely a 10xx series with little or no Carbon.

  16. John G

    John G Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:
    > You can't polish a dog turd.

    You can if you freeze it, and apply many coats of shellac. <DAMHIKT

  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:R%hqa.476$u%[email protected]...
    > You can't polish a dog turd.
    >
    > I drive a Ford Escort. I know these things.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    We should prove our loyalty to our bikes by starting a "Worst Car in A-MB" thread. I probably won't
    win - my truck's not that bad, even though its overheating this morning cost me a PHS-111 test - but
    I bet there are some real piles of shit lurking around our driveways. :)

    Chris

  18. John G

    John G Guest

    Technician wrote:
    > Well, stand-over is about 36" w/shoes.

    DAM, You got long legs... I got a 33" S.O. and I'm 6'3"

    > How much would the shipping be?

    NH to ME shouldnt't bee too much jing. I'll box it up and weigh it and get back to you....

    It may be a while (like after next Wed.

    I'm SWAMPED at work, it's End of Quarter and we are slammin the orders into the system.. at least
    thye give us free pizza and BEER!

  19. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    > > Well, stand-over is about 36" w/shoes.
    >
    > DAM, You got long legs... I got a 33" S.O. and I'm 6'3"

    Interestingly, i'm 6'3" too. i didn't realize they were that big though (perhaps why i needed the
    long and strong Thomson post).

    > > How much would the shipping be?
    >
    > NH to ME shouldnt't bee too much jing. I'll box it up and weigh it and get back to you....
    >
    > It may be a while (like after next Wed.

    Not a problem. by that time i should have gotten in a few more rides and built up endurance on my
    heavy bike, so when i swap over to a lighter bike, i'll have more power and endurance than i was
    aware of. I'd laugh my ass off if the first thing i did was apply too much power and pull a wheelie
    and land on my ass (like when i got used to my 175cc dirt bike and then tried my friends 500cc bike.
    i sold said bike BTW to buy my current mtn bike).

    > I'm SWAMPED at work, it's End of Quarter and we are slammin the orders into the system.. at least
    > thye give us free pizza and BEER!

    Hey, free food and booze, can't beat that. my father has a case of Coors Light that he won at
    something. he hates the stuff (calls it skunk piss), i'd send it, but i'm sure the USPS would be a
    bit angry with me when they drop it and it explodes in a mountain of beer foam.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  20. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I can't remember though (for the frame builders here), does CroMo have to be heat treated after
    > > welding?
    > >

    > It's probably not CroMo, if it were it would not be the cheap frame you are describing, just plain
    > mild steel, more than likely a 10xx series with little or no Carbon.

    Ahhh, had to get technical ;-)

    I only figured it was CroMo as the places where the paint rubbed off looked quite a bit darker than
    steel. taking a second look at another spot however shows the bright silver gleam of steel.

    ~Travis