Just got a bike to start getting fairly serious with

Ecdycis

May 5, 2009
Hey everyone just wanted to say I finally got a bike after months of looking around and trying to figure everything out. Ended up with a Specialized Allez Elite with the 105 group set. Got the bike last Wednesday and took it out that night it was super windy and even sprinkled a bit, but anyways I road 10.3 miles in about 37 minutes (my buddy has a computer on his bike and just checked how long after he had finished for me to show up) which first time out I was fairly happy scared to over do and be super soar the next day being that I had done any distance of any sort in about two years. Used to be a body builder but messed up my shoulder dropped about 27 pounds. Though unable to lift I was still able to climb aside from overhangs but after about 4 months of therapy I was able to get that down in moderation still cant lift but my therapist got me into the idea a riding and so far so good. After the first ride as mentioned above my gooch was scary soar like I bruised it or something my friend who I had road with told me to get some shorts went to the store but they didn't have anything in my size under $100 at the time and after my recent purchase of bike shoes and clipless pedals I didn't feel like spending more than $50 on shorts so ended up ordering a pair off of amozon but couldn't wait to get back on the bike so did another ride Saturday evening out at Buffalo Springs again same route however we did a hill at the beginning which made me ashamed. Had my first fall as well it was pathetic we were stopping to let the cars pass before going back up and I clipped out and waited we started back up and my friend suddenly stops and I unclipped my left foot but I guess the road was leaning right and before I knew it I was down on that side. No real harm done unless you know where to look, but the fall totally helped me shed about 10 minutes from my previous ride (that and the fact that I hadn't gotten soar I was eager to push harder). But anyways, I was wondering what you guys think I should try to do to get up to a higher average speed in less time I am planning on riding probably MWF then saturday and Sunday. I definitely know I need work on hills, and leg endurance will come as I ride more, but really excited about riding and want to get better as fast as possible. But any advice for a newbie is welcome. I am a little nervous about joining a riding club right now afraid of being completely inadequate.

A Specialized Allez Elite is a real nice bike. The 105 component set is pretty decent. Congrats on the new bike.

GT Fanatic said:
A Specialized Allez Elite is a real nice bike. The 105 component set is pretty decent. Congrats on the new bike.

Thanks man really love it so far bike shoes and pedals were about 3 pay checks so super motivated to ride the hell out of it doing another ride today only 10 miles again still waiting on my shorts to arrive before going on a ride that would kill me lol. I have no glutes so its just me my sit bones and the seat and I do not think I could make it further than perhaps 15 miles with out padded shorts without consequences the next day but wednesday trying a 20 mile ride which will totally kick my butt super excited anyway.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Better yet, you are enjoying yourself. Your next priority is definitely a pair of shorts. you want a pair with a good chamois padding inside. The purpose is to avoid sitting on any seams which can cause pressure sores over time. Also get some chamois cream to rub on the chamois before every ride. Thirty minutes is not too long, but repetition will take it's toll on the pressure areas. Performance Bicycle - Bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more has sales all the time. You can get an excellent pair of Performance ultra II bib shorts for 59.00 when they are on sale. 79.00 if you are impatient. Other good brands are Pearl Izumi, and Primal, to name a few.

Keep looking for sales when you can. You can find used cycling jerseys for under $20 if you look around. They help wick away moisture, keep you cool, make you more aero, and give you 3 handy pockets on the back for your swag.

Next, look into a wireless cycling computer. The feedback of knowing how fast you are going will help motivate you to continue. Also start a cycling log. There are several free ones available online or you can create your own on paper or in excel.

And if I you don;t have one, a helmet supercedes all that other stuff I said. You need to protect your noggin. I have seen them go on performance for $20 when the daily special. So look at least once, every other day.

Well, there are a few suggestions to get you going. Have fun. And make sure you get into a group. They usually have beginner groups and intermediate groups. You should learn cycling etiquette and how to ride with riders in front of and behind you. It's only one road and we have to share it.

Deafwolf said:
Sounds like you are off to a good start. Better yet, you are enjoying yourself. Your next priority is definitely a pair of shorts. you want a pair with a good chamois padding inside. The purpose is to avoid sitting on any seams which can cause pressure sores over time. Also get some chamois cream to rub on the chamois before every ride. Thirty minutes is not too long, but repetition will take it's toll on the pressure areas. Performance Bicycle - Bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more has sales all the time. You can get an excellent pair of Performance ultra II bib shorts for 59.00 when they are on sale. 79.00 if you are impatient. Other good brands are Pearl Izumi, and Primal, to name a few.

Keep looking for sales when you can. You can find used cycling jerseys for under $20 if you look around. They help wick away moisture, keep you cool, make you more aero, and give you 3 handy pockets on the back for your swag.

Next, look into a wireless cycling computer. The feedback of knowing how fast you are going will help motivate you to continue. Also start a cycling log. There are several free ones available online or you can create your own on paper or in excel.

And if I you don;t have one, a helmet supercedes all that other stuff I said. You need to protect your noggin. I have seen them go on performance for $20 when the daily special. So look at least once, every other day.

Well, there are a few suggestions to get you going. Have fun. And make sure you get into a group. They usually have beginner groups and intermediate groups. You should learn cycling etiquette and how to ride with riders in front of and behind you. It's only one road and we have to share it.
These are all good suggestions you should keep in mind. All of these items can be purchased from Performance and Nashbar. When starting out there are so many things you need that any and all discounts are welcome. Good luck with your new ride. Enjoy yourself.

For now, to get faster just ride as much as you can enjoy. Eat well. Rest well, and take care of your gouch. If gouch gets too sore, then you won't ride.

As for falling over.....we've all done it.

Ecdycis said:
Thanks man really love it so far bike shoes and pedals were about 3 pay checks so super motivated to ride the hell out of it doing another ride today only 10 miles again still waiting on my shorts to arrive before going on a ride that would kill me lol. I have no glutes so its just me my sit bones and the seat and I do not think I could make it further than perhaps 15 miles with out padded shorts without consequences the next day but wednesday trying a 20 mile ride which will totally kick my butt super excited anyway.

One of my wife's friends stayed with us over the weekend and he came down with his bike. He was not a seasoned rider at all. In fact, he absolutely hated biking until the other night, so I'm still clueless as to why he even had a bike (he brought it with him...). Anyway, he didn't think he was going to make it over about 4 miles, but we wound up doing 10 before turning around (his request...).

You'd be surprised how far you could ride without realizing it, but yes, do get yourself a nice pair of cycling shorts.

Deafwolf said:

Yeah after my first ride went and checked out shorts at my local bike shop, but they didn't have anything in my size under $100 at the time so I went on amazon and got some pearl izumi quest shorts for $50 flat including shipping. Hemlets I have been meanig to get one but had to wait on my next pay check but going to a couple bike shops tomorrow to try and find one. Had a gyro hemlet a while back was wanting one of those but will probably get a bell since they are cheaper.
I have only ridden with my friend but as far as etiquette goes I had assumed it was pretty much the same as cross country etiquette and driving etiquette combined lol.
I really appreciate the advice from everyone posting.

GT Fanatic said:
One of my wife's friends stayed with us over the weekend and he came down with his bike. He was not a seasoned rider at all. In fact, he absolutely hated biking until the other night, so I'm still clueless as to why he even had a bike (he brought it with him...). Anyway, he didn't think he was going to make it over about 4 miles, but we wound up doing 10 before turning around (his request...).

You'd be surprised how far you could ride without realizing it, but yes, do get yourself a nice pair of cycling shorts.

Pretty sure I can get 15 miles so I am going to try out a 20 mile ride this Friday with my buddy and if I can do that I am going to look into riding with either a college club or the rides the LBS I got my bike from organizes.

alienator said:
For now, to get faster just ride as much as you can enjoy. Eat well. Rest well, and take care of your gouch. If gouch gets too sore, then you won't ride.

As for falling over.....we've all done it.

It was totally heart breaking more than anything I had just gotten my baby I I had to work hard for her.

Ecdycis said:
Hemlets I have been meanig to get one but had to wait on my next pay check but going to a couple bike shops tomorrow to try and find one. Had a gyro hemlet a while back was wanting one of those but will probably get a bell since they are cheaper.

Any certified bike helmet (any helmet sold in the US) will suffice, so long as it fits properly. More expensive helmets generally offer lighter weight, better ventilation, and what the marketing guys call "exciting graphics." FWIW, Bell and Giro are under the same roof, now, although their designs remain separate. I used Giro helmets for a long time and within the last year made the switch to a Bell Volt. I'm chuffed with it.

It was totally heart breaking more than anything I had just gotten my baby I I had to work hard for her.

Chicks always look better with a scar or two.

alienator said:
Any certified bike helmet (any helmet sold in the US) will suffice, so long as it fits properly. More expensive helmets generally offer lighter weight, better ventilation, and what the marketing guys call "exciting graphics." FWIW, Bell and Giro are under the same roof, now, although their designs remain separate. I used Giro helmets for a long time and within the last year made the switch to a Bell Volt. I'm chuffed with it.

Chicks always look better with a scar or two.

Thats why I was going with Bell I figured since my old gyro fit well but dont want to spend so much right now I could get a fairly similar Bell for cheaper. The funny thing I just decided today that my bike was a girl for some reason.

Ecdycis said:
Thats why I was going with Bell I figured since my old gyro fit well but dont want to spend so much right now I could get a fairly similar Bell for cheaper. The funny thing I just decided today that my bike was a girl for some reason.

I think it's comparatively rare for a guy to give his bike a guy's name. I wonder why? I haven't named my bike.....I guess I should. The last machine that I named was a Suzuki TL1000R that I used to race. I called her Jezebel because riding her reminded me of riding a an ill tempered trailer park wench that smoked unfiltered Pall Mall cigarettes, made her own tattoos, cussed like a sailor, and with whom sex was like combat, what with her bucking, kicking, screaming, and wearing combat boots. In other words, it was a totally violent but completely gratifying in a scrogular way.

Deafwolf said:

Maybe it's just me, but the thought of using a used cycling jersey nauseates me. IMO, that would be like buying somebody's used underwear. :(

GT Fanatic said:
Maybe it's just me, but the thought of using a used cycling jersey nauseates me. IMO, that would be like buying somebody's used underwear. :(

Couldn't do either
But not worried about a jersey at the moment I am fine with my old cross country stuff I am bigger than I was so it is fairly aero-dynamic and still comfy and not hot at all so yea hno worries for the moment

Ecdycis said:
Couldn't do either
But not worried about a jersey at the moment I am fine with my old cross country stuff I am bigger than I was so it is fairly aero-dynamic and still comfy and not hot at all so yea hno worries for the moment

I wouldn't worry about it. The things prioritized were purchasing a helmet (purchased at the time of the bike purchase), tools, and a hydration pack. Then of course, came the eyewear, gloves, shorts, shirts, etc.

Got my shorts in today but I didn't get off of work early enough to grab them from the office at my apt. sad day

Just got back from a 12.6 mile ride was stupid and didn't bring any water with for the ride though really need to get a camelbak or move my bottle cage to the front and hopefully less awkward position.

Did a 24. something mile ride Saturday average speed some where around 17mph though going off of my friends computer but the distance between us was pretty constant aside from when we got chased by these dogs. Saturday was a very interesting ride got chased by like 5 different dogs mostly chihuahuas, but then to Australian Shepards which were super fast, my friend said his computer read 28mph and I passed my friend so not sure my speed but those dogs out ran me then circled back to go for my friend but no harm done they didn't get too close stayed about a yard away but didn't realize that till the way back when they were still there.
Hit some awesome hills which sucked to climb but were fun to go down. I could have gone further too since which surprised me, but I gut a flat so filled it and made it back to the truck with at like 40psi. Got a puncture resistant tube put in which took me a bit to get the tire back on but it was my first try. Haven't gone out again yet though school started but riding tomorrow (Friday) so that will be fun. Not sure anyone reads this but it helps my motivation so I will continue. Want to do a 30 mile ride Saturday if my schedule is free enough.