Just got my 04 Bianchi Giro Double

eddiebrannan

Nov 11, 2003
Totally stock (actually i upgraded the forks to a better Deda model simply because that was the only one the LBS had in the size I needed), picked er up last night and did 20 miles this morning in Prospect Park just before the snow hit. I've been riding a 40lb singlespeed dirtjump hardtail for the last few years (road before that) but old habits die hard and it wasn't such a freak-out as I thought it would be. More like slipping into an old pair of shoes.
Ride quality: I've never ridden an aluminum bike before and never really wanted to. Having said that this wasn't too bad. the carbon fork and seat stays deaden the pinginess of the al, but there's definitely a slightly muted feel to the ride. My last road bike had a very short, very lively ti frame and i enjoyed the whippy twitchiness of that. This is a little more sedate, which I expect for most riders will be exactly what they want.
The 105 worked great, Mavic Cosmos wheelset felt nice and stiff, stock wtb pedals felt like **** as is to be expected but that's no biggie. Id already switched out the saddle for my old favorite so I can't speak on the seat it comes with.
Overall a well-equipped bike with a decently lively feel to it: probably just right for most people at the level most people considering this bike would be at. Probably the best-specced bike at the price range (only crappy generic parts are the seatpost and pedals), and a good, fun, reasonably responsive ride for someone who's not an all out racer.
I realise reading back I'm being overly cautious in qualifying my remarks on this bike. It's a lot of road bike for the money. Personally I'd prefer a livelier, more all-out race oriented frameset, but until I get that I'll be clocking up some fun miles on the Bianchi.

thanks
is it full 105?
did you test ride some other bikes before picking this one?
(if so, which ones...if you don't mind the 3rd degree :) )
oh yeah and I forgot before,
congrats on the purchase

nah i didn't test ride any other bikes. liked the spec and anticipated the ride quality, so just went with instinct. just changed the stem to my old one (still lying around) which is longer and has a 10 deg drop, moved the seat slightly forward too, sightly more aggressive riding position which i prefer. we'll see how she goes. may ultimately go to a straight-blade fork as well

I just got mine too, a Giro but 2003, triple, brand new from a Chicago bike shop willing to clean up his inventory floor. I got it for $ 847.00 plus 50 shipping in Ebay. UPS is delivering it tomorrow. Mine will have the Alex wheels, I have no idea about the quality of these, I would've liked the Mavic Cosmos you got on the '04 model. Love the color scheme on the '04 too, mine is just brilliant blue, but for the price who's complaining.
I didn't buy it blindly though, I had been ride testing bikes at my ocal LBS that carry Bianchi, and had been impressed by the stealthy ride of the Giro, liemyou said "muted", "sedated", I loved it, but then again this is my first road bike ever, so I don't really know better.
Corsaire

$900 is an excellent price. you can easily upgrade the wheelset to cosmos or whatever you like with the $600 you saved off list. color schemes are the same both years—the blue and the silver. i'd be overjoyed with that deal; you have a lot of bike for very little money.