Just got my first bike in 22 years!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Shipwreck, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Shipwreck

    Shipwreck Guest

    Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set. Even got a
    pair of Shimano MO37 shoes that feel great, but weird, because the last time I rode in 1983, all I
    had were those cups you stuck your feet into.

    I'm hoping to ride for health as well as fun, and enjoy the sport like I did as a kid. My last bike
    was a Schwinn Continental...the biggie, but she never failed me once.

    See you on the steet!

    Gary F

    San Diego, CA

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    --
    zk

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set. Even got
    > a pair of Shimano MO37 shoes that feel great, but weird, because the last time I rode in 1983, all
    > I had were those cups you stuck your feet into.
    >
    > I'm hoping to ride for health as well as fun, and enjoy the sport like I did as a kid. My last
    > bike was a Schwinn Continental...the biggie, but she never failed me once.
    >
    > See you on the steet!
    >
    > Gary F

    Good for you. My layoff was only 13 years but it feels great. I'm almost 60 years old and I'm riding
    every day. No, I don't keep up with the 20 year olds and I don't ride as far but I'm exercising.
    Good riding.

    Fred

  4. shipwreck <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set.

    I'd like to hear your reactions to the Sequoia, especially the suicide levers (aka "auxiliary
    brake levers").

    I hadn't had a road bike for years, and got the Allez Elite. I'd considered the Sequoia, but those
    blobs in the fork were just too weird :)

    -- Paul

  5. Shipwreck

    Shipwreck Guest

    So far so good. What "blobs"? you mean the silicone type material in the front fork?

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:52:16 +0000 (UTC), Paul Steckler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >shipwreck <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set.
    >
    >I'd like to hear your reactions to the Sequoia, especially the suicide levers (aka "auxiliary brake
    >levers").
    >
    >I hadn't had a road bike for years, and got the Allez Elite. I'd considered the Sequoia, but those
    >blobs in the fork were just too weird :)
    >
    >-- Paul

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So far so good. What "blobs"? you mean the silicone type material in the front fork?

    If I may interject, those blobs are the fork boots.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  7. Shipwreck

    Shipwreck Guest

    Ah, yes, fork boots. They look cool to me, and actually didn't even notice them until they were
    called "blobs"

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:18:28 GMT, "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> So far so good. What "blobs"? you mean the silicone type material in the front fork?
    >
    >If I may interject, those blobs are the fork boots.
    >

    >> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:52:16 +0000 (UTC), Paul Steckler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >shipwreck <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >: Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set.
    >> >
    >> >I'd like to hear your reactions to the Sequoia, especially the suicide levers (aka "auxiliary
    >> >brake levers").
    >> >
    >> >I hadn't had a road bike for years, and got the Allez Elite. I'd considered the Sequoia, but
    >> >those blobs in the fork were just too weird :)
    >> >
    >> >-- Paul

  8. Buck

    Buck Guest

    > >"shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> So far so good. What "blobs"? you mean the silicone type material in the front fork?

    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:18:28 GMT, "Robin Hubert"
    > >If I may interject, those blobs are the fork boots.

    "shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Ah, yes, fork boots. They look cool to me, and actually didn't even notice them until they were
    > called "blobs"

    Perhaps you folks should take a look at the bike before interjecting. The Sequoia is a road bike. It
    has no sliding suspension fork, thus no fork boots. It does have two elastomers built into the fork
    blades to provide vibration damping. These are the "blobs" to which are being referred. I cannot
    comment as to the effectiveness, but my wife swears that this was the smoothest riding bike she has
    ever been on. Take a look for yourself: http://tinyurl.com/ebr5

    The "suicide levers" are a set of secondary brake levers, not the same goofy and dangerous "safety"
    levers on the bikes of yesteryear. These levers actually work extremely well, especially for people
    who are less confident braking from the drops or hoods or people who have small hands and would like
    an adjustable-reach brake without dropping down to the Sora group. Again, take a look for yourself:
    http://tinyurl.com/ebr2

    -Buck