Just got my first bike in 22 years!!

Shipwreck

Guest
Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set. Even got a
pair of Shimano MO37 shoes that feel great, but weird, because the last time I rode in 1983, all I
had were those cups you stuck your feet into.

I'm hoping to ride for health as well as fun, and enjoy the sport like I did as a kid. My last bike
was a Schwinn Continental...the biggie, but she never failed me once.

See you on the steet!

Gary F

San Diego, CA

--
zk

"shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set. Even got
> a pair of Shimano MO37 shoes that feel great, but weird, because the last time I rode in 1983, all
> I had were those cups you stuck your feet into.
>
> I'm hoping to ride for health as well as fun, and enjoy the sport like I did as a kid. My last
> bike was a Schwinn Continental...the biggie, but she never failed me once.
>
> See you on the steet!
>
> Gary F

Good for you. My layoff was only 13 years but it feels great. I'm almost 60 years old and I'm riding
every day. No, I don't keep up with the 20 year olds and I don't ride as far but I'm exercising.
Good riding.

Fred

shipwreck <[email protected]> wrote:
: Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set.

I'd like to hear your reactions to the Sequoia, especially the suicide levers (aka "auxiliary
brake levers").

I hadn't had a road bike for years, and got the Allez Elite. I'd considered the Sequoia, but those
blobs in the fork were just too weird :)

-- Paul

So far so good. What "blobs"? you mean the silicone type material in the front fork?

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:52:16 +0000 (UTC), Paul Steckler <[email protected]> wrote:

>shipwreck <[email protected]> wrote:
>: Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set.
>
>I'd like to hear your reactions to the Sequoia, especially the suicide levers (aka "auxiliary brake
>levers").
>
>I hadn't had a road bike for years, and got the Allez Elite. I'd considered the Sequoia, but those
>blobs in the fork were just too weird :)
>
>-- Paul

"shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So far so good. What "blobs"? you mean the silicone type material in the front fork?

If I may interject, those blobs are the fork boots.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

Ah, yes, fork boots. They look cool to me, and actually didn't even notice them until they were
called "blobs"

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:18:28 GMT, "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> So far so good. What "blobs"? you mean the silicone type material in the front fork?
>
>If I may interject, those blobs are the fork boots.
>

>> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:52:16 +0000 (UTC), Paul Steckler <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >shipwreck <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >: Specialized Sequoia Expert. Put a rack on back, some lights and a computer. I'm all set.
>> >
>> >I'd like to hear your reactions to the Sequoia, especially the suicide levers (aka "auxiliary
>> >brake levers").
>> >
>> >I hadn't had a road bike for years, and got the Allez Elite. I'd considered the Sequoia, but
>> >those blobs in the fork were just too weird :)
>> >
>> >-- Paul

> >"shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> So far so good. What "blobs"? you mean the silicone type material in the front fork?

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:18:28 GMT, "Robin Hubert"
> >If I may interject, those blobs are the fork boots.

"shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Ah, yes, fork boots. They look cool to me, and actually didn't even notice them until they were
> called "blobs"

Perhaps you folks should take a look at the bike before interjecting. The Sequoia is a road bike. It
has no sliding suspension fork, thus no fork boots. It does have two elastomers built into the fork
blades to provide vibration damping. These are the "blobs" to which are being referred. I cannot
comment as to the effectiveness, but my wife swears that this was the smoothest riding bike she has
ever been on. Take a look for yourself: http://tinyurl.com/ebr5

The "suicide levers" are a set of secondary brake levers, not the same goofy and dangerous "safety"
levers on the bikes of yesteryear. These levers actually work extremely well, especially for people
who are less confident braking from the drops or hoods or people who have small hands and would like
an adjustable-reach brake without dropping down to the Sora group. Again, take a look for yourself:
http://tinyurl.com/ebr2

-Buck