Just got my insurance for Stolen Bike. What now?

shawea

Nov 16, 2011
So I just had a Bianchi Eros stolen out in SF. Sad news. But my insurance, becuase the bike is no longer in production, is going to give me the amount to purchase the closest new Biachi bike which is the Vigorelli valued at $1900. So what should I do with this money?!

I would like to get a decent commuter road bike (not a race bike). So Im thinking of using about $800 - $1000 of that for a great bike, and then playing with the rest.

Give me some ideas of appropriate bikes to get. Also also what else would you guys do with the extra cash?

The bike you're looking at is very nice looking bike, I really like the color. What doubts do you have about it? Have you ridden one yet? Not sure why you want to "play" with the rest of money by buying a cheaper bike, because in the end you will wish you hadn't "played" your money away on nothing and had gotten a better bike and have something to show for your money instead of nothing to show...but it's your money. I assume you want steel, which is great choice by the way; or does titanium for that same cost do anything for you? Something like this perhaps: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_slti_xi.htm If you look at that site they sell titanium bikes for less then the one I showed, and they have cross titanium bikes as well. They also have steel LUGGED frame bicycles too like this: http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gran_premio_inferno.htm

I actually haven't ridden it yet, but I'm going to go and check it out. My insurance just told me yesterday that they would cover me for that amount of money. So now I'm just trying to figure out how to use it best. Again I'm not a racer, but I do use the bike as my main mode of transportation around San Francisco, so I put some good city miles on it. I'm also not really that knowledgeable about higher end bikes. I don't know what the difference is in getting a $1000 bike vs a $2000 bike for someone not racing it. What effects does titanium have? Is it just a bit lighter while not being as rigid as Carbon Fiber?

Ti can't rust like steel, though none of mine ever have because I take care of them; Ti doesn't corrode like aluminum, mine did even though I did by best to take care of it. Ti is more tolerant against the forces of crashes then any other material; Ti if scratched won't rip like carbon fiber rendering the bike useless; Ti will out last any other frame material with carbon and aluminum being the least likely to survive a long time.

As far as ride characteristics, ti has been known to be the most comfortable material to ride on. If you're not racing then Bikes Direct has TI bikes geared that way this one that is a cross bike meaning you can ride it on the street or on a trail and you can even do light touring with it because it has 1 pair of eyelets on the rear for use with either a fender or a rack (there are no eyelets on the front but one could put a snap on set of fenders for the front and rear); see: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_pro_ti_xi.htm This next bike is called a century bike designed for the person who wants all day comfort, and designed for light touring and commuting, and have 2 sets of eyelets on the rear for both a fender and a rack and the front has 1set of eyelets for fender or a rack. It's the same frame as the racing models I showed you earlier but with a bit more stretched out geometry; see: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/centurypro_x_ti.htm

I'm just giving options, not saying you have to what I say. By the way, is the insurance company just going to cut you a check? Most homeowners insurance companies will only reimburse you AFTER you send them a receipt as proof that you bought a replacement item then they will pay that amount minus your deductible; but some will send you check for the value of the bike minus the deductible; you must have one of the few.

There is no reason to be scared of mail order bikes either; 98% of the custom built bike are all mail order. Bikes Direct has factory stock sized bikes just as a LBS has. So if you know your size then just order the size that best fits you, you can double check your size needed with the Bikes Direct size chart. The only drawback with BD is that customer service after the sale is a bit lacking, but they do take care of warranty issues rather quickly, I've heard over the last 5 years or so of being on forums where members had warranty issues got the frame replaced within a week an a half to two weeks. Also the problem with mail order bikes in general is that there is some assembly and everything is adjusted correctly (like a tuneup) that needs to be done, if you're not confident on how to do that any LBS will can do it for between $50 to $75...though you're in the Bay area it may cost up to $100 at the most.

I forgot to mention something; right now is a great time to buy a 2011 bicycle at LBS's because they are marking down their remaining stock to get ready for the 2012 models. It's possible you could get a $2000 bike marked down $500 or so, plus some LBS's offering lifetime tuneups...but be careful because it can lead to price gouging due to "worn" parts found. So they will eventually get the money for those "free" tuneups out of you.

And since you had a bike stolen you may want to invest in a high quality locking system.

Thanks man! Great information. Titanium seems like a good way to go as I have the money now. And yes, my renters insurance was though USAA and they are just cutting me a check. Pretty happy about that :) And luckily I can do the tuneups myself! Ill let you know what I end up doing.

Since you're in SF, you have cash in hand, and you need a bike for your basic transportation, I would really urge you at least pay a visit to Rivendell Bicycle Works in Walnut Creek. Granted, $1900 may not quite buy a built-up Riv, but you should talk to them anyway and get another perspective on what you want/need in a bike and what is possible. (Many more types of riding possible with their bikes, than a typical LBS racing bike.) If Rivendell is just too pricey, I also suggest you check out SOMA bikes, also in SF. their steel bikes are at a somewhat lower price point. In fact, their new San Marcos model was designed by Grant Peterson at Rivendell and may be an excellent bike for you. It should be within budget, built up. And yes, whatever your buy, get a good lock. If you go Rvendell, check their holiday hours first. They are super-nice people and won't pressure you. Best wishes, Steve

There are tons of good deals on used stuff out there the mark up at retailers is tremendous. Try craigslist in SF, there is bound to be someone selling a bike that is great for 1000 bucks.

Originally Posted by goodbyecycle .

There are tons of good deals on used stuff out there the mark up at retailers is tremendous. Try craigslist in SF, there is bound to be someone selling a bike that is great for 1000 bucks.
That's right: the mark up at your LBS is huge. That's why they're swimming in cash.......oh, wait. They're not swimming in cash because there's little profit after paying for bikes, floor space, and employees. Feel free to actually investigate and discover the facts, or just cling to the quaint notion that LBS owners are making loads of money and continue on with whatever "facts" you want to make up. It's very popular for people to make up facts these days.

Dude you just got a surprise $1900 bike budget, way more than your old bike was worth. Do you know bikes, have you owned several bikes, have you built up and broken any bikes, do you know enough about bikes to sniff out a good deal on Craigslist? Another fella around here had to waste an afternoon in forum posts and shell out a coupla hundred bucks to make his Craigslist good deal rideable. Don't waste your time on a used bike... just my 2 pennies.

Originally Posted by shawea .

My insurance just told me yesterday that they would cover me for that amount of money.
Are they giving you $1900 or $1900 less your deductable? Makes a big difference.

I hope you find a bike you like.

I've bought 3 used bikes on Craiglist and never once felt I wasted my time or money, of course you do have to be careful that you know what your getting and your not spending more then it's worth, in other words you need to be smart just like you would be buying a used car...just my 2 cents worth.

If one knows bikes CL is a good place to look, if one doesn't know bikes... caveat emptor. As the OP was asking folks what kind of a bike is good for him an assumption was made toward the latter.

Things can go awry in a private "no return" sale that may not even relate to the mechanical integrity of the machine or the personal integrity of the seller, sizing issues for instance. Maybe the seller knows jack **** about bikes too. Craigslist offers many good bargains but is not a good place for folks who don't know what they are looking for.

Originally Posted by alienator .

That's right: the mark up at your LBS is huge. That's why they're swimming in cash.......oh, wait. They're not swimming in cash because there's little profit after paying for bikes, floor space, and employees. Feel free to actually investigate and discover the facts, or just cling to the quaint notion that LBS owners are making loads of money and continue on with whatever "facts" you want to make up. It's very popular for people to make up facts these days.
Sound like I might have accidentally touched a nerve. Do you own the "Alienator Bike Shop" by chance? Or are you just an alienator on forums?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Lighten up! We are here for fun, we all like bikes. Can't we just get along?

Sound like I might have accidentally touched a nerve. Do you own the "Alienator Bike Shop" by chance? Or are you just an alienator on forums?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

If fun means lying to someone about markups just to pimp your own business, that doesn't sound like fun.

I don't own a bike shop, don't work for one. You should try giving good advice instead of advice splattered with falsehoods.

Hey, I shop some of my bike needs off the internet because I know the LBS either can't get the item, or they charge too much-so much more it benefits me to even pay the shipping. I won't buy off the internet if it only saves a few dollars, or if I need right now, but most important I would never ask for advice at an LBS then leave and get it off the internet as a lot of people do. I use to own a business so I know how that it's just plain wrong and rude of a customer to pick your brain for 20 to 30 minutes or more then go somewhere else to save a few dollars. So if an LBS spent even 2 minutes answering a question about some part they have that I want, I'll get it from them no matter the price. This last spring I took a bike in for it's 5 year check up, usually I do all my tuneups myself but I want a pro to check it over to see if I missed something, but I'll tip the mechanic about 20% of the bill. LBS's remember stuff like that and are glad to help you when you walk in...except for one LBS here who happens to be the largest, but their snobs, so every time I go in with one of my older bikes they have some sort of snide remark to make, like look at the relic, or you need a new bike, or when are you going to afford a new bike. Usually I just blow if off, but the last straw was when I went in there and they said, "let me guess, it's broken because it's old and you want us to fix it?" To which I replied loudly on a busy day: "that's why I have older bikes for is because they won't break like today's new bikes do!" He immediately shut up and got the part I wanted! What that LBS doesn't know is that I own a 07 Mercian I bought new, and I'll never tell them about it. But there's a new LBS in town that's really a nice place, and I'm now friends with the mechanic/manager, so any part I need, or my 5 year pro tuneup, I'll take my bikes and any business to them.

So still no decisions as the money hasnt come in yet. I have built up bikes before and know all the technical stuff about how they work, but I couldn't look at a bike and say, thats a good frame and it looks like it will be smooth. So CL is hard for me because I know so little about actual brands, materials etc. But I can do the repairs and even build it up from scratch myself. I do like the idea of a used bike though. Are they often sold at LBS? Or are they pretty much new bike only kinda places to look.

Originally Posted by shawea .

So still no decisions as the money hasnt come in yet. I have built up bikes before and know all the technical stuff about how they work, but I couldn't look at a bike and say, thats a good frame and it looks like it will be smooth. So CL is hard for me because I know so little about actual brands, materials etc. But I can do the repairs and even build it up from scratch myself. I do like the idea of a used bike though. Are they often sold at LBS? Or are they pretty much new bike only kinda places to look.
Some LBS sell used bikes (especially places that have bikes they rent). The best thing to do is if you see something in the classifieds somewhere or on eFray that you like, ask questions here. The people here can answer said questions and suggest things that you should look for or ask about before purchase.