Just got my PowerTap and "the book" and I'm psyched!

ZimboNC

Apr 4, 2006
Well, after weeks of waiting, my new Mike Garcia wheels with the PowerTap SL hub finally arrived yesterday! It was good timing as well because my Fathers Day gift this year was a visit yesterday to the Human Performance Lab at a nearby university where I went in for V02Max/Threshold testing.

So, armed with the PowerTap SL, a copy of "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" and a CyclingPeaks WKO+ license, I'm ready to begin getting more serious about my training. It's all pretty exciting for this rider.

Basically, I've just finished my first full year of cycling (4200 miles since last June with 3000 miles so far this year) and hope to be able to build up to the point where I can actually do some road racing next year. Today I went out and did a two-and-a-half hour ride where I did a 20-minute best-effort, a 5-minute best-effort, a 1-minute best effort, and a couple of 15-second best efforts, interspersed with fairly easy riding. Here are my numbers:

5s: 13.61 W/kg
1m: 7.14 W/kg
5m: 4.73 W/kg
20m: 4.12 W/kg
NP60: 3.92 W/kg

Interestingly, even though I tried to take things fairly easy in between the "best efforts" I still ended up with a NP150 of 3.51 W/kg partly due to the hilly nature of the course, I suppose.

Anyway, it's obvious from the numbers that I've never worked on sprints and one-minute efforts. I'm assuming these will have to *significantly* improve in order to be able to compete--especially in criteriums (criteria?).

Incidentally, the trip to the lab yesterday was absolutely fascinating... I discovered that my maximum heart rate is 191 instead of the previously measured high of 186. I'm guessing my ability to ride while in pain is increasing as opposed to my actual heart rate. My VO2Max was measured at 60 which was higher than expected based on my age (38) and my general lack of physical activity until two years ago (I lost 65 pounds early last year). Unfortunately, my VO2Max power--at least as measured by this test in which wattage was increased by 40 every three minutes--was only about 365. Is this something I can improve with training or am I genetically limited?

Regardless, my LT (as measured by the 4 mm lactate level via a ***** to the ear every few minutes) was only 285 so that means I've got some room for improvement before I start reaching my VO2Max. (This jibes with today's 20 minute average power measurement of 305 watts, incidentally). I also found out that at just under 6'0" and 165 pounds I'm still at 14% body fat so I could theoretically get down to 155 pounds (i.e. 70kg) without too much difficulty, thereby increasing my W/kg numbers somewhat.

Anyway, I can't shower enough praise on the CyclingPeaks software and the Training with Power book. I've read it cover to cover and am on my second pass. It's really cool stuff and I can't wait to get out and start training with my power meter!!

Thanks for listening...

--Steve

Thanks, Greg. I've been following your posts with great interest. Have you upgraded from Cat5? What do your various AP numbers look like these days? I'm trying to figure out where I'd fit in. I really don't want to start racing until I'm fairly confident I can hang with the group.

I remeasured my Peak 5s power today. 1137 watts, up from yesterday's best of 1007. I'm assuming I'll continue to see "newbie gains" for a little while if I start doing sprint workouts since I've never even tried all-out sprinting before.

Mostly, though, I want to figure out how to make myself more aerodynamic for an upcoming 10 mile time trial. I have a regular road bike with aero bars. Properly motivated, I believe I could average 310 watts for the length of time it would take to complete the TT... but the first time I tried it a couple of weeks ago my time was a fairly meager 24m17s. It seems like I should be able to do better than that at that wattage, shouldn't I?!

--Steve

ZimboNC said:
Mostly, though, I want to figure out how to make myself more aerodynamic for an upcoming 10 mile time trial. I have a regular road bike with aero bars. Properly motivated, I believe I could average 310 watts for the length of time it would take to complete the TT... but the first time I tried it a couple of weeks ago my time was a fairly meager 24m17s. It seems like I should be able to do better than that at that wattage, shouldn't I?!
What wheels and tires are you running?

RapDaddyo said:
What wheels and tires are you running?
The new wheels are Mike Garcia SpeedCific Niobium 30 aero wheels. The tires are Michelin Carbon. The wheels I used for the previous TT were significantly heavier and less aero.

--Steve

ZimboNC said:
The new wheels are Mike Garcia SpeedCific Niobium 30 aero wheels. The tires are Michelin Carbon. The wheels I used for the previous TT were significantly heavier and less aero.
I can't find any test data on those wheels. Do you have any test data or specs? What is the rim depth?

RapDaddyo said:
I can't find any test data on those wheels. Do you have any test data or specs? What is the rim depth?
I don't have any specs other than 30mm rim depth and wheel weight. That said, my body aerodynamics have got to be the limiting factor. I know I need to get lower lower lower (see attached).

--Steve

ZimboNC said:
Thanks, Greg. I've been following your posts with great interest. Have you upgraded from Cat5? What do your various AP numbers look like these days? I'm trying to figure out where I'd fit in. I really don't want to start racing until I'm fairly confident I can hang with the group.
I upgraded to Cat 4 earlier in the year. I've scored two 3rds and a win since moving up, and had several disappointments for non-fitness related reasons. My FT peaked around 320w, but I'm probably off of that now due to work and other issues cropping up. If you can hold 310w for 24min, you will have no trouble whatsoever 'hanging with the group' in a road race, so don't worry about that.

24m doesn't sound bad for a 10mile TT on a straight road bike with clip-on aerobars. That'd be good enough to keep you in contention for any Cat 5 stage races around here.

ZimboNC said:
I don't have any specs other than 30mm rim depth and wheel weight. That said, my body aerodynamics have got to be the limiting factor. I know I need to get lower lower lower (see attached).
It sort of depends on how far you want to take it. There are no 30mm wheels that are as fast as, say, 50mm or 60mm wheels. And, I think the Michelin Pro Race 2 tires will save you a few watts (~5W?). Your position does appear to be less aero than is possible. I can't tell from the photo, but it doesn't look as though you can drop your bars much. It's also impossible to see whether you could raise your saddle a bit. It all adds up to less resistance (rolling and/or air).

RapDaddyo said:
It sort of depends on how far you want to take it.
Amen to that. For now I think I can lower my head by about an inch by (somehow) placing the elbow pads directly on the handlebars. At some point I'm going to end up buying a dedicated TT bike.

--Steve

ZimboNC said:
and hope to be able to build up to the point where I can actually do some road racing next year.

Dude, what the hell are you waiting for - your numbers are way higher than mine were when I won my state championship, points series and a bunch of other races as a CAT4. Good thing I wasn't reading this forum I guess :p .

ZimboNC said:

--Steve

Body position and training in that position will make far more difference than the wheels you run - along with a true TT frame. Looking at the pic - first big thing - get the maximum allowed length of aerobars - rule is max 75 cm from center of bottom bracket. 2nd thing - your frame is too long - a dedicated TT machine with which allows your knees to just clear behind your elbows - will improve aerodynamics. Think of your upper arms as fairings for your thighs. 3rd thing - you may be doing this already I can't tell from one pic - keep your head down! As you can see from your pic your head is sticking up quite a bit above the highest point of your upper back increasing drag. Obviously you can't do this if you have to look out for traffic - but otherwise down. Your drop looks pretty good - but you could still go lower.

I'm trying to do these things myself in training myself - particularly during intervals - if you don't train in the tight aero position you won't get much benefit from increases in power in a more upright position. Your time of 24 m 17 for a 10 mile TT is above average (for a competitive cyclist who has been training many years) to very good depending on how hilly the course was and how windy. I definitely agree that you're ready to race in road races, like me you'll probably have difficulties on technical courses involving lots of turns.

- bikeguy

beerco said:
Dude, what the hell are you waiting for - your numbers are way higher than mine were when I won my state championship, points series and a bunch of other races as a CAT4. Good thing I wasn't reading this forum I guess :p .
Umm...do you know how much he weighs? Power/weight ratio is the real indicator of how fast you are! :D

netscriber said:
Umm...do you know how much he weighs? Power/weight ratio is the real indicator of how fast you are! :D
The original post gives power/weight numbers. My current weight is 74kg.

--Steve

ZimboNC said:
I have to brag a little since I feel like I really 'nailed' the 6.6 mile TT in this weekend's Cat 4 stage race. I'm don't really enjoy or practice TT's, and last year this TT was my very first race ever. Aside from arriving 45 sec late to the starting gate, I felt like I went out too hard, wanted to quit after 2 miles, and struggled to the finish (17:52, including ~45 seconds of late-start). The course is small rollers, out and back, climbing slightly overall on the way out, with the biggest of the rollers near the starting line.

This year, with the insight I've gained from using my PT, I drove the course with an eye towards "okay, I'm going to suffer here, focus on aero and recover a little there, etc." Turns out that most of the suffering is near the start, so I had in the back of my mind that I would have to dig early and repay later, and that helped keep me calm during the ride. It was a straight road bike with clip-on bars (see picture of Steve, above :) ).

Not only did I set a new best 16min AP & NPs, I felt like my pacing was perfect. Suffered a bit up front, but still had enough juice to keep up the pace on the way back.

Outbound: 3.42mi 8:19 (24.7mph) 345w AP, 358w NP
Return: 3.23mi 7:25 (26.2mph) 319w AP, 331w NP
Total: 6.65mi 15:44 (25.4mph) 333w AP, 344w NP
Age 36, 6'1", 170 lbs

Result was 4th place, which I was happy with considering some of the TT bikes that showed up out there, but the best was walking away feeling that that was the best I was ever going to do without equipment upgrades -- a nearly perfect (IMHO :) ) TT for my current fitness. That would have been hard to do (or even say, with any certainty) without the benefit of a power meter.

Ended up 2nd overall for the Stage Race with TT - 4th, Crit - 10th, and RR - 2nd. Get out there, Steve. You're ready.

frenchyge said:
I have to brag a little since I feel like I really 'nailed' the 6.6 mile TT in this weekend's Cat 4 stage race.
Awesome! I love reading race reports like these!!

--Steve

frenchyge said:
Not only did I set a new best 16min AP & NPs, I felt like my pacing was perfect. Suffered a bit up front, but still had enough juice to keep up the pace on the way back.
Well done, frenchy. I'd love to see your graph with an overlay of grade and wind. I think those are the most difficult pacing strategies, because you have to have a lot of confidence in your numbers to go out at plus power. The more conservative (but slower) approach is to ride it as a flatline or even take it out negative. Congrats on good rides.:D