Just got rollers

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Chesapeake Boy, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Chesapeake Boy

Chesapeake Boy New Member

I just bought rollers last night. I have never ridden on rollers before.... My wife actually caught on quicker than I did... except she needed help starting and stopping... I started with a 3 mile ride last night.... It was on my mtn bike with slicks.... I was way too out of control on the road bike....

I think I am addicted to them....

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

A good teaching aid for riders new to rollers is to lift one side of the rollers up by a couple of cm's.

Doing this means that you will ride 'down' the rollers and have to steer 'up' the rollers to stay on. This gives your body feedback about how you are riding (rather than just wobbling and floating about aimlessly). Look a long way ahead and not down at the rollers.

Hope that helps. They are great fun, wait till you get bored and start doing some tricks (e.g. no handed, changing your top, etc.)

3. Chesapeake Boy

I tried no handed last night... while clipped in... I think it took a quarter mile to everything straightened back out!

4. Shabby

Shabby New Member

Once you get the hang of no handed, try shutting your eyes. Start by shutting them for 1 sec, then move up to a couple of seconds, then 10 or 20. It might sound like a joke, but it helps you to stop relying on visual clues to keep upright.

5. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

You sound like an 'ecological psychologist'! I have used blindfolded skills in gymnastics with great success.

6. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Hm. Got any tips for cleaning tyre marks off walls? :D

7. Chesapeake Boy

I moved up to the road bike last night... I only slid off a couple of times.... I rode 10 miles... the funny thing was I would be going good, but about every mile it would get kinda shaky...

8. rollers

rollers New Member

LOL. My brother's gotten good enough to ride no-hands for quite a while. He thought he was hot stuff until he observed a club mate eating a leisurely breakfast while riding his rollers.

I believe he said it was Cornflakes.

9. VeloFlash

VeloFlash New Member

If you use them on a flooring that may not be level, eg., a garage floor laid to drain water away, check with a builder's spirit level to ensure the rollers are level. Particularly left to right or side to side.

Put some packing under the rollers if they are out of whack. This can make a big difference with straght line balance.

10. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

I think I'll keep such an attempt in reserve for the next time I want to crack someone up. At the moment I'd need a nosebag. ;)

11. drewski

drewski New Member

a friend of mine used to do a track-stand next to the rollers and then bunny hop sideways and start up.

i can't even do a trackstand so i guess that's out for right now.

12. fondy2004

fondy2004 New Member

Did a session on the rollers the other day and got a sore butt, tried to get off the saddle and fell off them, bad idea I guess!!

I have a friend that has got to 93km/h on the rollers, just attempting a one off speed record. I can only reach about 65km/h.

What about anyone else??

13. rollers

rollers New Member

Yeah but could he do that while eating breakfast... :)

14. rollers

rollers New Member

Sore butt. I can relate to that.
    93kph standing still. I can't relate to that.

15. Chesapeake Boy

I have topped out at 32.5 mph.... I don't think I am doing it right... After last nights ride my traps were so tight..... I am not loose and smooth yet.... I think I am using to much upper body muscle to keep it on the rollers...

16. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

The bike will hold an almost straight line on its own and variations in lean or force on the pedals are all thats needed to straighten and center the bike most of the time.

17. Chesapeake Boy

Easy for you to say!:rolleyes:

18. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Think positive. It's not half as entertaining going along calmly and straight as it is when the bike's ducking and diving all over the place. ;)

(I don't believe it either, but I'm trying to convince myself! :D)

19. Chesapeake Boy

Don't worry, I am not being negative... I am just new... I road it for 3 miles on my mtn bike the first night...10 miles on my road bike the 2nd night, and 5 on the road bike last night.... I think it would track better if I took the Aero bars of.....

20. drewski

drewski New Member

wheel speed on rollers is not comparable unless done on the same model. were you two on the same set of rollers (at different times of course)

different roller designs provide different resistence such as the small diameter Kreitlers (whose model name escapes me) vs. the regular