Just got rollers

Originally posted by Chesapeake Boy
I have topped out at 32.5 mph.... I don't think I am doing it right... After last nights ride my traps were so tight..... I am not loose and smooth yet.... I think I am using to much upper body muscle to keep it on the rollers...

what are your "traps"? trapezius muscles?

smoothness is key on rollers. it could be that you have your seat up too high causing some hip-rocking while pedaling? which then leads to having to correct with your arms?

Originally posted by drewski
wheel speed on rollers is not comparable unless done on the same model. were you two on the same set of rollers (at different times of course)

different roller designs provide different resistence such as the small diameter Kreitlers (whose model name escapes me) vs. the regular

Rolling resistance of your tyres also makes a difference - my training bike is much slower than my racing bike on the rollers. (Before anyone bags me for training on rollers with a $4K bike, I had to change bike mid-session due to a puncture).

The other pointless part about looking at speeds is that the heavier you are, the more resistance you're going to experience on a set of rollers.

Originally posted by Shabby
Rolling resistance of your tyres also makes a difference - my training bike is much slower than my racing bike on the rollers.

The other pointless part about looking at speeds is that the heavier you are, the more resistance you're going to experience on a set of rollers.

well, both of those effects will affect performance on the road too . . .

Originally posted by drewski
well, both of those effects will affect performance on the road too . . .

Yes, but on the road the main thing you're overcoming is aerodynamic drag, which is proportional to the square of the velocity.

Saying you've done 93km/h on rollers doesn't actually mean anything. You have no momentum, and you havent overcome any of the major forces involved in cycling (drag and gravity).

If you want to see a big speed, put your bike computer on the rear wheel and jump on a wind trainer without the resistance attached.

If you're looking to set records on rollers, then try to hit a maximum cadence.

Yes, but on the road the main thing you're overcoming is aerodynamic drag, which is proportional to the square of the velocity.

Serious response: It's possible to simulate this with a wind attachment, no?

Not-so-serious response: Well, what if I got a really big electric fan that could blow at 94kph.... :)

Saying you've done 93km/h on rollers doesn't actually mean anything. You have no momentum, and you havent overcome any of the major forces involved in cycling (drag and gravity).

If you want to see a big speed, put your bike computer on the rear wheel and jump on a wind trainer without the resistance attached.

If you're looking to set records on rollers, then try to hit a maximum cadence.
Its great when you use disks and tyres at 150 psi, virtualy no aerodynamic drag and very little mechanical or rolling resistance!