Just got rollers

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Chesapeake Boy, Oct 21, 2003.

1. drewski

drewski New Member

what are your "traps"? trapezius muscles?

smoothness is key on rollers. it could be that you have your seat up too high causing some hip-rocking while pedaling? which then leads to having to correct with your arms?

2. Chesapeake Boy

Chesapeake Boy New Member

yes Trapezius muscles..... I think I am just too tense while riding right now....

3. Shabby

Shabby New Member

Rolling resistance of your tyres also makes a difference - my training bike is much slower than my racing bike on the rollers. (Before anyone bags me for training on rollers with a $4K bike, I had to change bike mid-session due to a puncture).

The other pointless part about looking at speeds is that the heavier you are, the more resistance you're going to experience on a set of rollers.

4. drewski

drewski New Member

well, both of those effects will affect performance on the road too . . .

5. Shabby

Shabby New Member

Yes, but on the road the main thing you're overcoming is aerodynamic drag, which is proportional to the square of the velocity.

Saying you've done 93km/h on rollers doesn't actually mean anything. You have no momentum, and you havent overcome any of the major forces involved in cycling (drag and gravity).

If you want to see a big speed, put your bike computer on the rear wheel and jump on a wind trainer without the resistance attached.

If you're looking to set records on rollers, then try to hit a maximum cadence.

6. rollers

rollers New Member

Serious response: It's possible to simulate this with a wind attachment, no?

Not-so-serious response: Well, what if I got a really big electric fan that could blow at 94kph.... :)

7. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Its great when you use disks and tyres at 150 psi, virtualy no aerodynamic drag and very little mechanical or rolling resistance!