Just had 8 days off, race on Sunday: what to do?

lanierb

Aug 12, 2004
Got back from an 8 day family vacation at midnight last night. Race on Sunday is 60 miles and very hilly, about seven long hills, 8-12 mins each. Currently, CTL=60 (was 75-80 a week ago), TSB=+28.

What should I do in the next few days? Clearly this race is about FTP, but I can't build that in 5 days so I'm thinking I'm better off making sure I stay pretty rested. I was thinking Saturday off and maybe Friday easy. That leaves today and tomorrow. I'm thinking I shouldn't kill myself those days either. Maybe a 2x20 tonight and either a group ride or SST ride tomorrow. What do you guys think?

lanierb said:
Got back from an 8 day family vacation at midnight last night. Race on Sunday is 60 miles and very hilly, about seven long hills, 8-12 mins each. Currently, CTL=60 (was 75-80 a week ago), TSB=+28.

What should I do in the next few days? Clearly this race is about FTP, but I can't build that in 5 days so I'm thinking I'm better off making sure I stay pretty rested. I was thinking Saturday off and maybe Friday easy. That leaves today and tomorrow. I'm thinking I shouldn't kill myself those days either. Maybe a 2x20 tonight and either a group ride or SST ride tomorrow. What do you guys think?
Don't rest too much, get out and open your legs up over the next couple of days with at least Tempo work and probably a bit more than that. Your biggest risk right now isn't being too tired after 8 days off the bike, the biggest risk is blocked up legs after so much rest. I'd ride every day but make Friday a really easy short spin and do a good hour with some openers efforts on Saturday. But over the next couple of days I'd do at least a couple of hours of Tempo work and probably a 2x20 low end of L4 set while you're still half a week away from your race.

-Dave

lanierb said:

Go out and find some hills and ride just under threshold up them. Have some fun, open up the legs and get your head back into being back on the bike and doing some climbing.

If I've had time off the bike I normally find it easy to get upto speed on the flats but hills, that's a different matter. That takes a few rides to get the legs used to the different effort, especially if there's lots of out of the saddle stuff.

Thanks guys. I ended up going pretty hard Weds and Thurs and lighter Friday, then took Sat off. I had good legs yesterday, but unfortunately flatted out of the front group with 9 miles to go, so was out of it after that. Bummer.