Just had a crash and need new forks...

ajimmyv

Jan 11, 2007
Hi,

I'm pretty new to road biking and whilst I've been researching other components to upgrade my Trek 1200 with I didn't think I'd need to buy new carbon forks until a car pulled across me today and I went straight into the side of him!

The forks have basically ripped in half and i need to get some new ones. I thought the bontrager ones that came with the bike were pretty good but now may be an opportunity for an upgrade?

I don't know what I need to be looking for when it comes to things like steerer length, integrated headsets, tube diameter blah blah blah - but i'm guessing these would be fairly standard with holes to reattach the front brake etc.

Could anyone help? I don't want to off the road for too long (once my shoulder has stopped hurting) so am looking to make a fairly quick purchase - could you recommend any? What should be the spec I'm looking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers
James
ego bruised, bike smashed!!

ajimmyv said:
Hi,

I'm pretty new to road biking and whilst I've been researching other components to upgrade my Trek 1200 with I didn't think I'd need to buy new carbon forks until a car pulled across me today and I went straight into the side of him!

The forks have basically ripped in half and i need to get some new ones. I thought the bontrager ones that came with the bike were pretty good but now may be an opportunity for an upgrade?

I don't know what I need to be looking for when it comes to things like steerer length, integrated headsets, tube diameter blah blah blah - but i'm guessing these would be fairly standard with holes to reattach the front brake etc.

Could anyone help? I don't want to off the road for too long (once my shoulder has stopped hurting) so am looking to make a fairly quick purchase - could you recommend any? What should be the spec I'm looking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers
James
ego bruised, bike smashed!!
Before going for a new fork, you need to check from Trek's website on the fork parameters. Make sure your new toy has the same fork rake and designed to work with your Trek1200 headtube and headset. The fork design is part of the frameset design, so make sure you don't change the geometry. I guess, going for a new bontrager could make it easier.

Good luck.

For someone relatively new into the sport, I'd recommend going into your LBS for some info. I would do the same thing. I don't know much about headset compatibility and some other fork info so I know the first thing I'd do is go to my LBS or my team for some help.