Just how adaptive are Adaptalite lenses?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brad Ford, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Brad Ford

    Brad Ford Guest

    I commute on my bike year round. Half the year it's pretty dark when I
    come home--pitch black in the dead of winter. The whole routine of
    taking two pairs of glasses or two pairs of lenses is tiresome.
    Specialized's adaptalite lenses (
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=12571 ) caught my
    eye (no pun intended). The allure of optics that can function both in
    glaring sun and pitch dark is undeniable. But can anyone who has these
    lenses tell me just how "adapta" they are? Can you wear them at night,
    or will they have an unacceptably dark tint to them?

    TIA.

    Tags:

  2. Brad Ford wrote:
    > I commute on my bike year round. Half the year it's pretty dark when
    > I come home--pitch black in the dead of winter. The whole routine of
    > taking two pairs of glasses or two pairs of lenses is tiresome.
    > Specialized's adaptalite lenses (
    > http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=12571 ) caught my
    > eye (no pun intended). The allure of optics that can function both in
    > glaring sun and pitch dark is undeniable. But can anyone who has
    > these lenses tell me just how "adapta" they are? Can you wear them
    > at night, or will they have an unacceptably dark tint to them?
    >
    > TIA.

    I have a pair of Spec Arcs at the shop... if I remember, I'll test them out
    and report back.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. tiborg

    tiborg Guest

    I use prescription glasses that have a photosensitive chemical imbedded
    in the glass. At night, they are perfectly clear and get reasonably
    dark during the day. I find they work very well for my commuting which
    takes me mostly along an unlighted riverside road. From specialized's
    site, it looks like those lenses do not go clear at their lightest
    state. If that is really the case, I would avoid them for night riding.
    What's the point of having an HID light just to have your glasses dim
    the view;)