Just how lame an exercise is golfing with a powered cart?



G

Greens

Guest
http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm

If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing with
a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
seedless grape.

If you golf with a cart for an hour your total calories burned will be 192.


If the same 180 pound person pulls his clubs around the course for the same
time while on foot, he'll burn 420 calories.

A 180 pound cyclist going ten mph on level ground will burn 492 calories in
that same hour.

-------------------
Solution: Ban golf carts. Golfers will stop playing.
Create pedal powered golf carts - use wide wheels and very low gears so they
don't dig up the turf. It still won't be much fun. Might have to put jumps
on the course. Eventually it'll be found that mountain bikes with some sort
of bag carrying attachment are the ideal golf cart.
 
B

bfd

Guest
On Oct 1, 12:40 pm, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm
>
> If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing with
> a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
> seedless grape.
>
> If you golf with a cart for an hour your total calories burned will be 192.
>
> If the same 180 pound person pulls his clubs around the course for the same
> time while on foot, he'll burn 420 calories.
>
> A 180 pound cyclist going ten mph on level ground will burn 492 calories in
> that same hour.
>
> -------------------
> Solution: Ban golf carts. Golfers will stop playing.
> Create pedal powered golf carts - use wide wheels and very low gears so they
> don't dig up the turf. It still won't be much fun. Might have to put jumps
> on the course. Eventually it'll be found that mountain bikes with some sort
> of bag carrying attachment are the ideal golf cart.


What's the problem? Not everybody uses a golf cart. However, some need
it. My uncle, for example, is in his 70s and has a bad hip. He can
still play golf, but needs a cart to get around. If he want to play
golf with his friends, why not? Its a social thing for most elderly
people and a chance to meet, get together and have a good time. Leave
them alone so they can have some fun!
 
B

Ben C

Guest
On 2007-10-01, Greens <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm
>
> If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing with
> a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
> seedless grape.
>
> If you golf with a cart for an hour your total calories burned will be 192.
>
>
> If the same 180 pound person pulls his clubs around the course for the same
> time while on foot, he'll burn 420 calories.
>
> A 180 pound cyclist going ten mph on level ground will burn 492 calories in
> that same hour.
>
> -------------------
> Solution: Ban golf carts. Golfers will stop playing.
> Create pedal powered golf carts - use wide wheels and very low gears so they
> don't dig up the turf. It still won't be much fun. Might have to put jumps
> on the course. Eventually it'll be found that mountain bikes with some sort
> of bag carrying attachment are the ideal golf cart.


And soon after that they'll find that just riding the mountain bikes
around the course is more fun than actually playing golf at all.
 
V

vey

Guest
bfd wrote:
Not everybody uses a golf cart.

Not around here. Just about all the courses have banned walking. "Slows
up play" they say.
 
G

Greens

Guest
"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Oct 1, 12:40 pm, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm
>>
>> If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing
>> with
>> a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
>> seedless grape.
>>
>> If you golf with a cart for an hour your total calories burned will be
>> 192.
>>
>> If the same 180 pound person pulls his clubs around the course for the
>> same
>> time while on foot, he'll burn 420 calories.
>>
>> A 180 pound cyclist going ten mph on level ground will burn 492 calories
>> in
>> that same hour.
>>
>> -------------------
>> Solution: Ban golf carts. Golfers will stop playing.
>> Create pedal powered golf carts - use wide wheels and very low gears so
>> they
>> don't dig up the turf. It still won't be much fun. Might have to put
>> jumps
>> on the course. Eventually it'll be found that mountain bikes with some
>> sort
>> of bag carrying attachment are the ideal golf cart.

>
> What's the problem? Not everybody uses a golf cart. However, some need
> it. My uncle, for example, is in his 70s and has a bad hip. He can
> still play golf, but needs a cart to get around. If he want to play
> golf with his friends, why not? Its a social thing for most elderly
> people and a chance to meet, get together and have a good time. Leave
> them alone so they can have some fun!
>
>


Leave some of the courses open for people who genuinely need carts. Sort of
a handicapped course like there are handicapped parking spaces. The majority
of courses - ban the cart as part of the massive "war on obesity" that I'm
proposing.

Some other things I don't like about golf courses - they're totally
unnatural. A lot of pesticides and water are used on them to get them to
grow. A lot of gasoline and oil gets wasted maintaining them, machines that
pollute to a much greater extent than cars. They take up a huge amount of
space. They're almost as bad for animals as an industrial park.

Eh, I'm not too serious about all this. I like the way golf courses look.
I've enjoyed playing a few times. I tried pulling the clubs around and found
myself getting very impatient with all the long walks. This was aggravated
by seeing people constantly motoring past me in their carts. I get ******
when I think how few hiking trails, mountain biking trails there are, but
there are dozens of golf courses. It's just because they figured a way to
charge a lot for it so I'm jealous of the facilities.
 
G

Greens

Guest
"Ben C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On 2007-10-01, Greens <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm
>>
>> If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing
>> with
>> a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
>> seedless grape.
>>
>> If you golf with a cart for an hour your total calories burned will be
>> 192.
>>
>>
>> If the same 180 pound person pulls his clubs around the course for the
>> same
>> time while on foot, he'll burn 420 calories.
>>
>> A 180 pound cyclist going ten mph on level ground will burn 492 calories
>> in
>> that same hour.
>>
>> -------------------
>> Solution: Ban golf carts. Golfers will stop playing.
>> Create pedal powered golf carts - use wide wheels and very low gears so
>> they
>> don't dig up the turf. It still won't be much fun. Might have to put
>> jumps
>> on the course. Eventually it'll be found that mountain bikes with some
>> sort
>> of bag carrying attachment are the ideal golf cart.

>
> And soon after that they'll find that just riding the mountain bikes
> around the course is more fun than actually playing golf at all.


That's exactly my plan, lol.
 
J

Jim Behning

Guest
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:54:17 -0400, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"Ben C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> On 2007-10-01, Greens <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm
>>>
>>> If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing
>>> with
>>> a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
>>> seedless grape.
>>>
>>> If you golf with a cart for an hour your total calories burned will be
>>> 192.
>>>
>>>
>>> If the same 180 pound person pulls his clubs around the course for the
>>> same
>>> time while on foot, he'll burn 420 calories.
>>>
>>> A 180 pound cyclist going ten mph on level ground will burn 492 calories
>>> in
>>> that same hour.
>>>
>>> -------------------
>>> Solution: Ban golf carts. Golfers will stop playing.
>>> Create pedal powered golf carts - use wide wheels and very low gears so
>>> they
>>> don't dig up the turf. It still won't be much fun. Might have to put
>>> jumps
>>> on the course. Eventually it'll be found that mountain bikes with some
>>> sort
>>> of bag carrying attachment are the ideal golf cart.

>>
>> And soon after that they'll find that just riding the mountain bikes
>> around the course is more fun than actually playing golf at all.

>
>That's exactly my plan, lol.
>

Iweigh 165 pounds and burn 600 calories an hour on my road bike
averaging 20 mph.

Some people play golf carrying 4 clubs. They run to their ball. Cart
or not I am always off in the rough or woods in search for lost
efforts. I play double par so I get my moneys worth.
 
T

Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman

Guest
Greens who? wrote:
> http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm
>
> If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing with
> a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
> seedless grape....


Butter on grapes?

--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
 
J

jim beam

Guest
Greens wrote:
> http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm
>
> If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing with
> a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
> seedless grape.
>
> If you golf with a cart for an hour your total calories burned will be 192.
>
>
> If the same 180 pound person pulls his clubs around the course for the same
> time while on foot, he'll burn 420 calories.
>
> A 180 pound cyclist going ten mph on level ground will burn 492 calories in
> that same hour.
>
> -------------------
> Solution: Ban golf carts. Golfers will stop playing.
> Create pedal powered golf carts - use wide wheels and very low gears so they
> don't dig up the turf. It still won't be much fun. Might have to put jumps
> on the course. Eventually it'll be found that mountain bikes with some sort
> of bag carrying attachment are the ideal golf cart.
>
>
>


this is /not/ bike tech. move to another forum please.
 
T

Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman

Guest
"jim beam" aka evan williams wrote:
>
> this is /not/ bike tech. move to another forum please.


Who would have thunk "jim beam" would be a net cop?

--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
 
P

Peter Cole

Guest
Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" aka evan williams wrote:
>>
>> this is /not/ bike tech. move to another forum please.

>
> Who would have thunk "jim beam" would be a net cop?
>


I wonder if he takes abuse reports.
 
S

still me

Guest
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:40:18 -0400, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm
>
>If you weigh 180 pounds, you'll burn 3.2 calories in one minute golfing with
>a golf cart. That will allow you to enjoy one third of an unbuttered
>seedless grape.
>
>If you golf with a cart for an hour your total calories burned will be 192.
>
>
>If the same 180 pound person pulls his clubs around the course for the same
>time while on foot, he'll burn 420 calories.
>
>A 180 pound cyclist going ten mph on level ground will burn 492 calories in
>that same hour.
>


Or go the other way. Strap your clubs on your back and go for a bike
ride for an hour!
 
S

still me

Guest
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:37:41 -0400, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
>> "jim beam" aka evan williams wrote:
>>>
>>> this is /not/ bike tech. move to another forum please.

>>
>> Who would have thunk "jim beam" would be a net cop?
>>

>
>I wonder if he takes abuse reports.


Probably when he's not giving abuse.