just in case others neglect brake mount....

michael20817

Mar 27, 2012
pardon my lack of proper terminology, but the gist of it is that my DuraAce front brake is mounted to my Serotta 60 cm frame by internal threaded nut inside fork tube. Over the years, I neglect to check it. First notice condition while on ride 4 seconds before hitting pothole (1/2" deep). Front brake must have giggled out enough to tilt and the outside end of the shoe grabs my 28mm front tire and locks it up like a vice. Or, maybe I braked and the brake was pulled out and got jammed into the spokes. Truth is I don't know. I go over the handlebars separating my shoulder...well deserved. Just wanted to put this out there should by chance anyone take for granted their brake mount is good for life.

Yup. Pretty much ever rim brake is secured using a nut that looks just like these:
18334_142410.jpg
That nuts and bolts can loosen has been known since just short time after they were invented. That's why it's very important to periodically check your bike's fasteners for proper torque/to make sure none are loose.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Heal quickly and use this:

+1 Make sure to use the 242 blue loctite as suggested. This will help prevent your threaded fasteners from loosening due to road vibrations. If you use the red loctite you will curse the day you applied when you try to remove the bolt the blue will break free with normal wrenching.

Sadly, not enough folk either read the supplied instructions - or the manufacturer fails to heed or even supply the instruction for the components installed.

Loctite 242 is the way to go on most fasteners that require a limited amount of torque or fasteners that are of critical importance.

From the Shimano techdoc for the brakes that I have:

Note it recommends a minimum bolt thread amount AND the use of thread lock.