Just installed a hollowtech II crankset (FC-M600-3) and wondered if it was supposed to spin slow.

wideload

Guest
First off, hi all!

This is my very first post on this newsgroup (or any for that matter),
I am a casual rider slowly replacing my crappy bike part by part.
I hope to learn lots from the community's combined huge technical
knowledge and experience!

Ok...
>From the subject I would to elaborate:

I have just replaced bottom bracket, spindle and cranks.
I can't ride the bike yet, so afterward I gave one of the cranks a
spin and it seems to slow to a stop very quickly i.e. within 2
seconds.

- Is this normal? The action is completely silent and smooth but just
seems a little dampened.

- Could the spindle be misaligned to the bearings? The reason I think
this might be is because I don't own a proper fitting tool (ordering
one though) for the plastic end cap that pulls the whole unit tighter
together. I tightened it (quite tight) with a claw grippy wrench
thing. However there is no side-to-side action and it does seem to be
pushed through the drive side as much as possible.

Is there any checks to see if its tight enough without using some kind
of torque measuring device?

My crappy rattling oem-style old cup and cone was alot more free and
span for a while.

Sorry for such a massive post!
....and thanks in advance for any replies (even abusive ones :) )

Ross.

wideload wrote:
> First off, hi all!
>
> This is my very first post on this newsgroup (or any for that matter),
> I am a casual rider slowly replacing my crappy bike part by part.
> I hope to learn lots from the community's combined huge technical
> knowledge and experience!
>
> Ok...
>>From the subject I would to elaborate:

> I have just replaced bottom bracket, spindle and cranks.
> I can't ride the bike yet, so afterward I gave one of the cranks a
> spin and it seems to slow to a stop very quickly i.e. within 2
> seconds.
>
> - Is this normal? The action is completely silent and smooth but just
> seems a little dampened.

The seals make the crank stop quickly in the beginning. If the cranks
run smooth that's no problem.

> - Could the spindle be misaligned to the bearings?

Did you face the BB shell on both sides? That's important for the
durability of the bearings.

> The reason I think
> this might be is because I don't own a proper fitting tool (ordering
> one though) for the plastic end cap that pulls the whole unit tighter
> together. I tightened it (quite tight) with a claw grippy wrench
> thing.

They only need 1-2 Nm.

However there is no side-to-side action and it does seem to be
> pushed through the drive side as much as possible.
>
> Is there any checks to see if its tight enough without using some kind
> of torque measuring device?

With the special tool you ordered you tighten it by hand.

> My crappy rattling oem-style old cup and cone was alot more free and
> span for a while.

No seals, no grease...

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
wideload <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> First off, hi all!
>
> This is my very first post on this newsgroup (or any for that matter),
> I am a casual rider slowly replacing my crappy bike part by part.
> I hope to learn lots from the community's combined huge technical
> knowledge and experience!
>
> Ok...
>> From the subject I would to elaborate:

> I have just replaced bottom bracket, spindle and cranks.
> I can't ride the bike yet, so afterward I gave one of the cranks a
> spin and it seems to slow to a stop very quickly i.e. within 2
> seconds.
>
> - Is this normal? The action is completely silent and smooth but just
> seems a little dampened.
>
> - Could the spindle be misaligned to the bearings? The reason I think
> this might be is because I don't own a proper fitting tool (ordering
> one though) for the plastic end cap that pulls the whole unit tighter
> together. I tightened it (quite tight) with a claw grippy wrench
> thing. However there is no side-to-side action and it does seem to be
> pushed through the drive side as much as possible.
>
> Is there any checks to see if its tight enough without using some kind
> of torque measuring device?
>
> My crappy rattling oem-style old cup and cone was alot more free and
> span for a while.
>

> Sorry for such a massive post!
> ...and thanks in advance for any replies (even abusive ones :) )
>

> Ross.

Chiche! (tr: sheesh)
[end of abusive post]
^Z
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Wow thanks for the quick reply Lou!

No I didn't :(
It sounded like I would need some expensive workshop style machinery...
(checks for a BFS-1)... 8O ... £375?!?

Is it to stop **** sneaking into the BB shell? If so could I use duct
tape as a remedial seal?

Ross.

On May 26, 1:09 pm, wideload <[email protected]> wrote:
> First off, hi all!
>
> This is my very first post on this newsgroup (or any for that matter),
> I am a casual rider slowly replacing my crappy bike part by part.
> I hope to learn lots from the community's combined huge technical
> knowledge and experience!
>
> Ok...>From the subject I would to elaborate:
>
> I have just replaced bottom bracket, spindle and cranks.
> I can't ride the bike yet, so afterward I gave one of the cranks a
> spin and it seems to slow to a stop very quickly i.e. within 2
> seconds.
>
> - Is this normal? The action is completely silent and smooth but just
> seems a little dampened.

Ensure the BB shell is prepped, ie, faced, as proper alignment and
sizing of the 2 BB frame shell 'faces' is essential to these
cranks...BUT yes, there is a ton of seal drag with these and most
other outboard bearing cranks..another step backward in bicycle stuff
design.

> - Could the spindle be misaligned to the bearings? The reason I think
> this might be is because I don't own a proper fitting tool (ordering
> one though) for the plastic end cap that pulls the whole unit tighter
> together. I tightened it (quite tight) with a claw grippy wrench
> thing. However there is no side-to-side action and it does seem to be
> pushed through the drive side as much as possible.

That's not it. It's just sluggish...

> Is there any checks to see if its tight enough without using some kind
> of torque measuring device?
>
> My crappy rattling oem-style old cup and cone was alot more free and
> span for a while.
>
> Sorry for such a massive post!
> ...and thanks in advance for any replies (even abusive ones :) )
>
> Ross.

> That's not it. It's just sluggish...

Phew thanks!

Ok, I think I will see how much the shop will charge to face the BB
shell.

I would like to thank you 'Lou Holtman', 'Qui si parla Campagnolo' and
even you 'Sandy' for helping me out so quickly!

bye until my next problem comes up.

:)