Just looking for sympathy anywhere ...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Johnny Canuck, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. ... I can get it!

    I have the good fortune of living in one the great MTB meccas ... Vancouver (although I also have
    the mortgage payments to show for it!). I have the good fortune to have booked the next two weeks
    off with plans to really get some good mileage on my new (this season) bike (Rocky Mtn ETS-X30). And
    .. have the good fortune to have ridden through an unseasonably warm and dry summer for our
    temperate rainforest out here.

    So ... why the whine??? Damn ^%^#$ forest fire threats! The legendary Shore : CLOSED (all three
    mountains ... Fromme, Cypress, and Seymour). Burke: CLOSED. Squamish: Closure threat ... likely
    closed this weekend if it doesn't rain. Burnaby Mountain: Open and absolutely overrun with users
    including freeriders on a mountain much more suited for XC. The whole Interior: burning ... (it
    really sucks actually ... thousands evacuated ... homes and business lost ... a real disaster
    (making my whine absolutely trivial)).

    Whine over ... actually the real reason for the post is to add that the MTB community has been
    exceptional through the closures. Everyone is respecting them and not trying to sneak in (unlike all
    the hikers sneaking onto the Grouse Grind ... pukes). None of us wants to be the shitheel who's
    pedal spark off a rock causes a major forest fire. Speaks well of us and as a regular lurker to this
    newsgroup I want Mike Vandeman and his ilk to know that MTB'ers are proving to be awesome through a
    real crisis and the same can't be said for some other outdoor "enthusiasts".

    Tags:

  2. i feel your pain man...god only knows why i moved from that lovly place to london, ontario....bloody
    winters...

    mark "Johnny Canuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ... I can get it!
    >
    > I have the good fortune of living in one the great MTB meccas ... Vancouver (although I also have
    > the mortgage payments to show for it!). I have the good fortune to have booked the next two weeks
    > off with plans to really get some good mileage on my new (this season) bike (Rocky Mtn ETS-X30).
    > And .. have the good fortune to have ridden through an unseasonably warm and dry summer for our
    > temperate rainforest out here.
    >
    > So ... why the whine??? Damn ^%^#$ forest fire threats! The legendary Shore : CLOSED (all three
    > mountains ... Fromme, Cypress, and Seymour). Burke: CLOSED. Squamish: Closure threat ... likely
    > closed this weekend if it doesn't rain. Burnaby Mountain: Open and absolutely overrun with users
    > including freeriders on a mountain much more suited for XC. The whole Interior: burning ... (it
    > really sucks actually ... thousands evacuated ... homes and business lost ... a real disaster
    > (making my whine absolutely trivial)).
    >
    > Whine over ... actually the real reason for the post is to add that the MTB community has been
    > exceptional through the closures. Everyone is respecting them and not trying to sneak in (unlike
    > all the hikers sneaking onto the Grouse Grind ... pukes). None of us wants to be the shitheel
    > who's pedal spark off a rock causes a major forest fire. Speaks well of us and as a regular lurker
    > to this newsgroup I want Mike Vandeman and his ilk to know that MTB'ers are proving to be awesome
    > through a real crisis and the same can't be said for some other outdoor "enthusiasts".

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 04:56:06 GMT, Johnny Canuck wrote:

    > Speaks well of us and as a regular lurker to this newsgroup I want Mike Vandeman and his ilk to
    > know that MTB'ers are proving to be awesome through a real crisis and the same can't be said for
    > some other outdoor "enthusiasts".

    As a regular lurker you should realize he doesn't care. Reality has nothing to do with his
    flame-bait.

    Hope you guys get a little rain up there.

  4. "Mark Hainsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > i feel your pain man...god only knows why i moved from that lovly place to london,
    > ontario....bloody winters...
    >
    > mark

    You mean it wasn't the mountain biking or the skiing?? Sorry, I guess that was a little low;-)

  5. BB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] 130844.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > As a regular lurker you should realize he doesn't care. Reality has nothing to do with his
    > flame-bait.
    >
    > Hope you guys get a little rain up there.

    Too true ... and rain is really needed. Vancouver's pretty nice right now except for the closures
    but the Interior is getting rocked. Over 800 fires. Closing in 40,000 evacuees ... pretty
    shocking stuff.

  6. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:44:03 GMT, Johnny Canuck wrote:

    > Too true ... and rain is really needed. Vancouver's pretty nice right now except for the closures
    > but the Interior is getting rocked. Over 800 fires. Closing in 40,000 evacuees ... pretty
    > shocking stuff.

    I hear ya - I'm just south of you in Portland.

  7. skiing? in ontario??? there's nothing that i would even go near after skiing bc.... mark

    "Johnny Canuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mark Hainsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > i feel your pain man...god only knows why i moved from that lovly place to london,
    > > ontario....bloody winters...
    > >
    > > mark
    >

    > You mean it wasn't the mountain biking or the skiing?? Sorry, I guess that was a little low;-)

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mark Hainsworth wrote:

    >>You mean it wasn't the mountain biking or the skiing?? Sorry, I guess that was a little low;-)
    >>
    > skiing? in ontario??? there's nothing that i would even go near after skiing bc....

    <Whoosh

  9. BB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:44:03 GMT, Johnny Canuck wrote:
    >>
    >> Too true ... and rain is really needed. Vancouver's pretty nice right now except for the closures
    >> but the Interior is getting rocked. Over 800 fires. Closing in 40,000 evacuees ... pretty
    >> shocking stuff.
    >
    > I hear ya - I'm just south of you in Portland.

    Yea ... Oregon's been pretty hard hit too ...the whole Pacific Northwest is pretty much a firezone
    right now.

  10. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    them hang um high.