Just "Plain" crazy?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Smitty, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Smitty

    Smitty Guest

    I would submit that Mr. Dolan (of pancake-like Minnesota) is the one who's "Plain" crazy.

    A friend and I once arranged a car shuttle event we called, "Cycle Down Oregon I," in honor of the
    popular "Cycle Oregon" annual ride. We dropped one vehicle off in Hood River, then hauled our bikes
    up to Timberline Lodge, on Mount Hood.

    The lodge is at an elevation of 8,540 feet ASL. The town of Hood River is approximately 154 feet
    ASL. The equates to a vertical drop of almost 8,400 feet over approximately 50 miles. In truth, the
    roadway dips up and down around the mountain, then runs through a few river canyons, do it isn't all
    downhill by any stretch. It was, however, terrific fun with many breakneck downhill stretches.

    My suggestion to cyclists who abhor climbing, descending, cold, heat, moisture, or any other natural
    condition is to buy a trainer and stay your hovel.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Smitty) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > A friend and I once arranged a car shuttle event we called, "Cycle Down Oregon I," in honor of the
    > popular "Cycle Oregon" annual ride. We dropped one vehicle off in Hood River, then hauled our
    > bikes up to Timberline Lodge, on Mount Hood.
    >
    > The lodge is at an elevation of 8,540 feet ASL. The town of Hood River is approximately 154 feet
    > ASL. The equates to a vertical drop of almost 8,400 feet over approximately 50 miles. In truth,
    > the roadway dips up and down around the mountain, then runs through a few river canyons, do it
    > isn't all downhill by any stretch. It was, however, terrific fun with many breakneck downhill
    > stretches.

    Smitty, you've duplicated (mostly) the Summit to Surf charity ride that's held at the end of July
    (see www.summittosurf.org ). On StS, you have to ride *up* to Timberline, but that just warms you up
    enough to freeze on the way back down!

    Two years ago my wife conked out after getting dehydrated on the climb. She got sagged into Hood
    River (the support is excellent- food, mechanical, and medical are covered), leaving me to banzai
    down from Bennett Pass alone. One upright rider tucked in behind me (I was on my Tour Easy) and
    stayed on my rear wheel for about ten miles. When the road flattened out, he pulled alongside and
    said "I tried to come around you, but every time I did I went backwards!" Pretty pleasing feeling,
    if I must say so myself.

    Jeff

  3. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    [email protected] (Smitty) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I would submit that Mr. Dolan (of pancake-like Minnesota) is the one who's "Plain" crazy.
    >
    > A friend and I once arranged a car shuttle event we called, "Cycle Down Oregon I," in honor of the
    > popular "Cycle Oregon" annual ride. We dropped one vehicle off in Hood River, then hauled our
    > bikes up to Timberline Lodge, on Mount Hood.
    >
    > The lodge is at an elevation of 8,540 feet ASL. The town of Hood River is approximately 154 feet
    > ASL. The equates to a vertical drop of almost 8,400 feet over approximately 50 miles. In truth,
    > the roadway dips up and down around the mountain, then runs through a few river canyons, do it
    > isn't all downhill by any stretch. It was, however, terrific fun with many breakneck downhill
    > stretches.
    >
    > My suggestion to cyclists who abhor climbing, descending, cold, heat, moisture, or any other
    > natural condition is to buy a trainer and stay your hovel.

    Smitty is the classic cheater. To get a lift up a mountain and then to ride your bicycle down it for
    free is not sporting at all. No, if I am going to ride down a mountain, then I will ride up it too.
    Then it is earned and I am not cheating.

    The mountain ski resorts of the West are full of characters like Smitty who like to get some thing
    on the cheap without working for it. I have no respect for them at all. My suggestion to Smitty is
    to take up the "sport" of jumping out of airplanes, with a parachute of course. He apparently
    worships at the altar of falling fast, whether on a bike or any other way I suspect. But that is
    because, like I said before, he is crazy!

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Edward Dolan wrote:

    > Smitty is the classic cheater. To get a lift up a mountain and then to ride your bicycle down it
    > for free is not sporting at all. No, if I am going to ride down a mountain, then I will ride up it
    > too. Then it is earned and I am not cheating....

    "Downhill Racing: I consider this fad to be bad for cycling, and contrary to the spirit of cycling.
    It is effectively just a variant form of motorcycle racing, since the power is provided by the
    machinery that carries the rider and bike to the top of the run. Bicycling should be a human-powered
    activity, or it is not bicycling." - Sheldon Brown

    <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_d.html#downhill>.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  5. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    "Downhill Racing: I consider this fad to be bad for cycling, and contrary to the spirit of cycling.>>

    Crosscountry skiers originally felt the same way about downhill racers.

  6. Same goes for skiing.

  7. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Smitty:

    I once ran the first leg of the "Hood to Coast" relay, which started at Timberline. Fastest 10K I
    ever ran. (About a 6 min/mile pace.) And I wasn't even trying. In fact, I was holding back for fear
    of injuring myself. Just about wrecked my quads and my knees though. I ran two more legs after that,
    but the last one was pretty slow. That has to be about the most insane foot race on the planet.

    --
    --Scott
    "Smitty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would submit that Mr. Dolan (of pancake-like Minnesota) is the one
    > who's "Plain" crazy.
    >
    > A friend and I once arranged a car shuttle event we called, "Cycle
    > Down Oregon I," in honor of the popular "Cycle Oregon" annual ride. We
    > dropped one vehicle off in Hood River, then hauled our bikes up to
    > Timberline Lodge, on Mount Hood.
    >
    > The lodge is at an elevation of 8,540 feet ASL. The town of Hood River
    > is approximately 154 feet ASL. The equates to a vertical drop of
    > almost 8,400 feet over approximately 50 miles. In truth, the roadway
    > dips up and down around the mountain, then runs through a few river
    > canyons, do it isn't all downhill by any stretch. It was, however,
    > terrific fun with many breakneck downhill stretches.
    >
    > My suggestion to cyclists who abhor climbing, descending, cold, heat,
    > moisture, or any other natural condition is to buy a trainer and stay
    > your hovel.

  8. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    Brian Broomer <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Same goes for skiing.

    "Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face."
    - Dave Barry

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota