Just put the bird in the oven...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    It's a boneless chicken stuffed with boudin (a spicy Cajun sausage with
    rice), onion, celery, garlic... it came patted with some cayenne, paprika
    and lemon pepper.

    I lost my cleaver amongst the mess but finally found it and split a large
    acorn squash. Deseeded it and put 2 large pats of butter in the center of
    each half, sprinkled with salt & pepper and put it in the pan with the
    chicken. I'll baste the squash over the next hour with the melted butter.

    While the bird and squash sit after roasting I'm going to steam some
    brussels sprouts and toast some slices of a French baguette. Then I'll pour
    the wine and there you have a meal to be thankful for!

    Happy Thursday, everyone!

    Jill
     
    Tags:


  2. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    jmcquown wrote:


    > Happy Thursday, everyone!
    >


    Happy Thursday. :)

    I started at 10am with the crab cake mix. Since it's only 2 of us, I got
    smaller cans of crab (no such thng as fresh here in Kansas) and boy was
    that a disappointment. It had no smell or taste. Half of one can ended
    up on the floor when I went to dump it in the bowl and even the cats
    wouldn't touch it. Hopefully there's enough other stuff in there the
    crab cakes will taste ok.

    Put the eggs on for devilled eggs.

    Decided I needed to do the blueberry pie next but, oops, out of sugar.
    So I started the bread dough for the dinner rolls. Left that to rise,
    pulled the eggs out to cool and went out and got sugar and milk.

    Came home and made bacon and eggs for lunch. Got to eat something to get
    us through the rest of the day. :)

    Got ingredients out for pie crust and couldn't find the recipe. Searched
    the whole kitchen. I just had it out a week ago, and now I can't find it
    anywhere. Grr! Gave up and just decided to use the one on the back of
    the can of shortening. Good thing it's a double crust pie. Whipped up
    the pie crust and put it in the fridge to sit for a while.

    Made the devilled eggs. Got out three casserole dishes and started on
    the vegetables. Put the cut up potatoes, sweet potato and squash in to
    bake, along with the other half of the butternut (the smallest one I
    could find was nearly a foot long). I'll pull the butternut out of the
    freezer sometime next week and reheat it.

    Pulled out the green beans. Bleah. We have such lousy quality produce
    around here. They'd started to mold already. Luckily I didn't have to
    throw much of the bag out. Partially steamed the beans and dunked them
    into ice water to preserve the color before adding the cream of mushroom
    soup I made yesterday. Put that into the oven.

    Made the cheesy corn. Not sure what the waxy white lump in the bag of
    corn was. It might be some kind of butter sauce, but there's no mention
    of such on the bag. I'm planning to write the producer tomorrow and ask.
    Tried the recipe with fresh garlic this time instead of powdered like
    the recipe says. Much improvement in flavor, I think.

    Got the pie crust out and tried rolling the bottom crust. It was both
    crumbly and sticky. I think pie crust hates me. Managed to patch
    together enough for the bottom crust, put the blueberries in and started
    on the top crust. That one rolled out beautifully. Go figure.

    While waiting for the oven to come up to temp I made the tartar sauce
    for the crab cakes. I think they're going to need it.

    That was six hours of cooking. The pie is done now. Dear Husband has got
    his turkey going. We're just waiting on the temperature. In a little bit
    I'm going to shape the dinner rolls and get them ready to bake, and cook
    the giblets for gravy. Then while the bird rests I'll make gravy, brown
    the rolls, fry the crab cakes, and pop all the vegetables in to reheat.

    Wishing you all a good evening,



    Dawn
     
  3. On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:02:01 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Dawn
    <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Happy Thursday, everyone!
    >>

    >
    >Happy Thursday. :)
    >
    >I started at 10am with the crab cake mix. Since it's only 2 of us, I got
    >smaller cans of crab (no such thng as fresh here in Kansas) and boy was
    >that a disappointment. It had no smell or taste. Half of one can ended
    >up on the floor when I went to dump it in the bowl and even the cats
    >wouldn't touch it. Hopefully there's enough other stuff in there the
    >crab cakes will taste ok.
    >
    >Put the eggs on for devilled eggs.
    >
    >Decided I needed to do the blueberry pie next but, oops, out of sugar.
    >So I started the bread dough for the dinner rolls. Left that to rise,
    >pulled the eggs out to cool and went out and got sugar and milk.


    Have you ever heard of making deviled eggs and pies the day before?

    >
    >Came home and made bacon and eggs for lunch. Got to eat something to get
    >us through the rest of the day. :)


    Yeah at the rate you're going, you might sit down to dinner at
    midnight.

    >
    >Got ingredients out for pie crust and couldn't find the recipe. Searched
    >the whole kitchen. I just had it out a week ago, and now I can't find it
    >anywhere. Grr! Gave up and just decided to use the one on the back of
    >the can of shortening. Good thing it's a double crust pie. Whipped up
    >the pie crust and put it in the fridge to sit for a while.
    >
    >Made the devilled eggs. Got out three casserole dishes and started on
    >the vegetables. Put the cut up potatoes, sweet potato and squash in to
    >bake, along with the other half of the butternut (the smallest one I
    >could find was nearly a foot long). I'll pull the butternut out of the
    >freezer sometime next week and reheat it.
    >
    >Pulled out the green beans. Bleah. We have such lousy quality produce
    >around here. They'd started to mold already. Luckily I didn't have to
    >throw much of the bag out. Partially steamed the beans and dunked them
    >into ice water to preserve the color before adding the cream of mushroom
    >soup I made yesterday. Put that into the oven.
    >
    >Made the cheesy corn. Not sure what the waxy white lump in the bag of
    >corn was. It might be some kind of butter sauce, but there's no mention
    >of such on the bag. I'm planning to write the producer tomorrow and ask.
    >Tried the recipe with fresh garlic this time instead of powdered like
    >the recipe says. Much improvement in flavor, I think.
    >
    >Got the pie crust out and tried rolling the bottom crust. It was both
    >crumbly and sticky. I think pie crust hates me. Managed to patch
    >together enough for the bottom crust, put the blueberries in and started
    >on the top crust. That one rolled out beautifully. Go figure.
    >
    >While waiting for the oven to come up to temp I made the tartar sauce
    >for the crab cakes. I think they're going to need it.
    >
    >That was six hours of cooking. The pie is done now. Dear Husband has got
    >his turkey going. We're just waiting on the temperature. In a little bit
    >I'm going to shape the dinner rolls and get them ready to bake, and cook
    >the giblets for gravy. Then while the bird rests I'll make gravy, brown
    >the rolls, fry the crab cakes, and pop all the vegetables in to reheat.
    >
    >Wishing you all a good evening,


    Six hours to put up a pie, some friggin' deviled eggs, a few lousy
    side dishes and a turkey? What a retard...
    --
    we're all stars now, in the dope show...
     
  4. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 05:03:43 GMT, projectile vomit chick
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:02:01 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Dawn
    ><[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >>jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Happy Thursday, everyone!
    >>>

    >>
    >>Happy Thursday. :)
    >>
    >>I started at 10am with the crab cake mix. Since it's only 2 of us, I got
    >>smaller cans of crab (no such thng as fresh here in Kansas) and boy was
    >>that a disappointment. It had no smell or taste. Half of one can ended
    >>up on the floor when I went to dump it in the bowl and even the cats
    >>wouldn't touch it. Hopefully there's enough other stuff in there the
    >>crab cakes will taste ok.
    >>


    >Six hours to put up a pie, some friggin' deviled eggs, a few lousy
    >side dishes and a turkey? What a retard...
    >--

    Oh dear. Does no one love you projectile vomit chick. How sad. Even
    so, there's no need to denigrate other's efforts.
     
  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    projectile vomit chick wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:02:01 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Dawn
    > <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Happy Thursday, everyone!

    > Yeah at the rate you're going, you might sit down to dinner at
    > midnight.
    >
    >>

    > Six hours to put up a pie, some friggin' deviled eggs, a few lousy
    > side dishes and a turkey? What a retard...


    Speaking of retards... you don't even know how to properly reply to a thread
    since I'm not the one who posted about making devilled eggs and pies. Why
    don't you crawl back into your bucket of vomit where I threw you several
    times before, you miscreant illiterate asswipe?

    There, now I feel better.

    Jill
     
  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 03:48:40 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >projectile vomit chick wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:02:01 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Dawn
    >> <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >>> jmcquown wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Happy Thursday, everyone!

    >> Yeah at the rate you're going, you might sit down to dinner at
    >> midnight.
    >>
    >>>

    >> Six hours to put up a pie, some friggin' deviled eggs, a few lousy
    >> side dishes and a turkey? What a retard...

    >
    >Speaking of retards... you don't even know how to properly reply to a thread
    >since I'm not the one who posted about making devilled eggs and pies. Why
    >don't you crawl back into your bucket of vomit where I threw you several
    >times before, you miscreant illiterate asswipe?
    >
    >There, now I feel better.
    >
    >Jill
    >

    (Jill's been schooled at the Sheldon Academy of Direct
    Communications!)

    Bill
     
  7. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 03:48:40 -0600, "jmcquown"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> projectile vomit chick wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:02:01 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Dawn
    >>> <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >>>> jmcquown wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Happy Thursday, everyone!
    >>> Yeah at the rate you're going, you might sit down to dinner at
    >>> midnight.
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>> Six hours to put up a pie, some friggin' deviled eggs, a few lousy
    >>> side dishes and a turkey? What a retard...

    >>
    >> Speaking of retards... you don't even know how to properly reply to
    >> a thread since I'm not the one who posted about making devilled eggs
    >> and pies. Why don't you crawl back into your bucket of vomit where
    >> I threw you several times before, you miscreant illiterate asswipe?
    >>
    >> There, now I feel better.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > (Jill's been schooled at the Sheldon Academy of Direct
    > Communications!)
    >
    > Bill


    You betcha, Bill!

    Jill <--proud graduate
     
  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 03:48:40 -0600, "jmcquown"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >projectile vomit chick wrote:
    > >> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:02:01 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Dawn
    > >> <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    > >>> jmcquown wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>> Happy Thursday, everyone!
    > >> Yeah at the rate you're going, you might sit down to dinner at
    > >> midnight.
    > >>
    > >>>
    > >> Six hours to put up a pie, some friggin' deviled eggs, a few lousy
    > >> side dishes and a turkey? What a retard...

    > >
    > >Speaking of retards... you don't even know how to properly reply to a thread
    > >since I'm not the one who posted about making devilled eggs and pies. Why
    > >don't you crawl back into your bucket of vomit where I threw you several
    > >times before, you miscreant illiterate asswipe?
    > >
    > >There, now I feel better.
    > >
    > >Jill
    > >

    > (Jill's been schooled at the Sheldon Academy of Direct
    > Communications!)
    >
    > Bill
    >
    >


    <applause>
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
Loading...