Just Riding Along...

> When all of a sudden: "Hi, I'm a moron who can't tell anyone I know personally about anything in
> my pathetic life. Will you complete strangers tell me why my crank broke? It doesn't matter if you
> have no experience. You are bound to be interested"
>
> JD

Pehaps you are just too fat to be riding a proper bike? Is it the diet or the hormones, do
you think?

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:41:59 -0700, JD wrote:

> When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg
>
> JD

I had the exact same thing happen to my next LP set. It took a while for what happened to sink in.
Hmm, foot's off pedal, musta slipped out, Hmmm, can't seem to find pedal with foot. Damn, pedal's
still on foot.

At the the shitmano's haven't broken yet. You just need a new middle ring every 4 months.

-Bruce

Technician wrote:
> JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>
>>When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg

Got those same cranks on the Beer'Cross (but in P.C.Red. of course ;-)

> But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened? i have never seen a broken crank, so i
> am curious how one would break (aside from dropping the bike from 40' and having it land solidly
> on the crank first).

From the relative cleanliness fo the break I would imagine it was an internal flaw in the casting..
No worries, RaceFace has GREAT warranty service.

--
John G. http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
> JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg

> Damn, that really sucks i can imagine.

> But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened? i have never seen a broken crank, so i
> am curious how one would break (aside from dropping the bike from 40' and having it land solidly
> on the crank first).

http://pardo.net/pardo/bike/pic/fail/FAIL-001.html

Metal fatigue from repeated stress cycles.

A small crack starts and grows slowly. Eventually the thickness of uncracked metal is not enough to
take the stress, and blammo, it cracks the rest of the way through, even while JRA. For example,
pictures "crank-fail-011" and "crank-fail-017" at the above link. You can see that half of the break
is dark from oxidation and dirt - that's the part that was already cracked, growing slowly. The
light part is what was exposed at the moment of failure.