Just Riding Along...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jd, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

  5. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    > When all of a sudden: "Hi, I'm a moron who can't tell anyone I know personally about anything in
    > my pathetic life. Will you complete strangers tell me why my crank broke? It doesn't matter if you
    > have no experience. You are bound to be interested"
    >
    > JD

    Pehaps you are just too fat to be riding a proper bike? Is it the diet or the hormones, do
    you think?

  6. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

  7. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

  8. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

  9. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:41:59 -0700, JD wrote:

    > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg
    >
    > JD

    I had the exact same thing happen to my next LP set. It took a while for what happened to sink in.
    Hmm, foot's off pedal, musta slipped out, Hmmm, can't seem to find pedal with foot. Damn, pedal's
    still on foot.

    At the the shitmano's haven't broken yet. You just need a new middle ring every 4 months.

    -Bruce

  10. Technician wrote:
    > JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    >
    >>When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg

    Got those same cranks on the Beer'Cross (but in P.C.Red. of course ;-)

    > But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened? i have never seen a broken crank, so i
    > am curious how one would break (aside from dropping the bike from 40' and having it land solidly
    > on the crank first).

    From the relative cleanliness fo the break I would imagine it was an internal flaw in the casting..
    No worries, RaceFace has GREAT warranty service.

    --
    John G. http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

  11. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

  12. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

  13. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

  14. M&M

    M&M Guest

  15. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  16. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

  17. Danny

    Danny Guest

  18. Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
    > JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg

    > Damn, that really sucks i can imagine.

    > But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened? i have never seen a broken crank, so i
    > am curious how one would break (aside from dropping the bike from 40' and having it land solidly
    > on the crank first).

    http://pardo.net/pardo/bike/pic/fail/FAIL-001.html

    Metal fatigue from repeated stress cycles.

    A small crack starts and grows slowly. Eventually the thickness of uncracked metal is not enough to
    take the stress, and blammo, it cracks the rest of the way through, even while JRA. For example,
    pictures "crank-fail-011" and "crank-fail-017" at the above link. You can see that half of the break
    is dark from oxidation and dirt - that's the part that was already cracked, growing slowly. The
    light part is what was exposed at the moment of failure.