Just Riding Along...

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > D'oh. And guess who just ordered a Turbine LP crankset today?
>
> You're light(er).
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

No real need for the (er)...

Jon Bond

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "JD" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected]...
> > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg
> >
> > JD
>
> Whoaa. All of the witty lines have already been taken, so I will just say it is a good thing they
> warrantied it. What exactly did this "just riding along" involve? A fireroad? A nice slow
> bikepath?
>
> -Dave

My guess: Sidewalk.

Jon Bond

geez who would have thought that race face would spell their own name without the "E"?!?!?!?!?!?

how silly!:rolleyes:

RE/
>But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened? i have never seen a broken crank,

Neither had I until last week.

About two hours into a 3-hour ride, stopped to bum a cup of coffee and smooze with some
people I know.

Got back on, started riding away, OOPS!....

Inspection of the break revealed dark areas around one side - indicating that there had been a crack
there for longe enough for the metal to corrode/discolor.

And my riding style is somewhere between extremely-conservative and just-plain-pathetic. A 10-inch
curb is a big drop for me and I never jump the bike.

Now I check my cranks for cracks.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BkaLa.38135$Bg.24311@rwcrnsc54...

> "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "JD" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > Whoaa. All of the witty lines have already been taken, so I will just
say
> > it is a good thing they warrantied it. What exactly did this "just
riding
> > along" involve? A fireroad? A nice slow bikepath?
> >
> > -Dave
>
> My guess: Sidewalk.
>
> Jon Bond

I think he said the cranks used to be on a Kona.
--

Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
> > JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> > > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg
>
> > Damn, that really sucks i can imagine.
>
> > But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened? i have never seen a broken crank, so i
> > am curious how one would break (aside from dropping the bike from 40' and having it land solidly
> > on the crank first).
>
> http://pardo.net/pardo/bike/pic/fail/FAIL-001.html
>
> Metal fatigue from repeated stress cycles.
>
> A small crack starts and grows slowly. Eventually the thickness of uncracked metal is not enough
> to take the stress, and blammo, it cracks the rest of the way through, even while JRA. For
> example, pictures "crank-fail-011" and "crank-fail-017" at the above link. You can see that half
> of the break is dark from oxidation and dirt - that's the part that was already cracked, growing
> slowly. The light part is what was exposed at the moment of failure.

This is why I don't like black colored aluminum parts. It's much easier to see these stress cracks
on polished aluminum and catch them before they fail catastrophically. After breaking a couple of
crankarms, I've implemented a polish and inspect regimen for them as part of my regular maintenance.

"Bill Porter" wrote in message ...
> Geez JD, If you would shift into easier gear from time to time and spin a little instead of all
> that mashing that properly would not happen :)

That don't help much...

Keith L.

Just Say "Multi-gear and multiple crank failures."

"Twit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > When all of a sudden: "Hi, I'm a moron who can't tell anyone I know personally about anything in
> > my pathetic life. Will you complete strangers tell me why my crank broke? It doesn't matter if
> > you have no experience. You are bound to be interested"
> >
> > JD
>
> Pehaps you are just too fat to be riding a proper bike? Is it the diet or the hormones, do
> you think?

Oh look, a leg humper. How original.

JD

Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
> > JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> > > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg
>
> > Damn, that really sucks i can imagine.
>
> > But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened? i have never seen a broken crank, so i
> > am curious how one would break (aside from dropping the bike from 40' and having it land solidly
> > on the crank first).
>
> http://pardo.net/pardo/bike/pic/fail/FAIL-001.html
>
> Metal fatigue from repeated stress cycles.
>
> A small crack starts and grows slowly. Eventually the thickness of uncracked metal is not enough
> to take the stress, and blammo, it cracks the rest of the way through, even while JRA. For
> example, pictures "crank-fail-011" and "crank-fail-017" at the above link. You can see that half
> of the break is dark from oxidation and dirt - that's the part that was already cracked, growing
> slowly. The light part is what was exposed at the moment of failure.

What about stress risers and inclusions? Dark material on the surface of a break does not have to be
oxidation from crack development. Consider the multitude of failure modes.

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> > > When all of a sudden: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/061003013.jpg
> > >
> > > JD
> > >

> > Damn, that really sucks i can imagine.
> >
> > But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened?
>
> You heard the man. He was just riding along ...

C'mon, that's too hard for an underdeveloped and overanalytical mind to grasp. I prefer to just tell
him to ********.

JD

"KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> After breaking a couple of crankarms, I've implemented a polish and inspect regimen for them as
> part of my regular maintenance.

So, you routinely "polish your crank" eh?-)

"Clyde_in_TN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > After breaking a couple of crankarms, I've implemented a polish and inspect regimen for them as
> > part of my regular maintenance.
>
> So, you routinely "polish your crank" eh?-)

Don't have to worry about that. SWMBA is more than glad to oblige.

"Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> >
> > > Damn, that really sucks i can imagine.
> >
> > > But seriously, "Just Riding Along", what really happened? i have never seen a broken crank, so
> > > i am curious how one would break (aside from dropping the bike from 40' and having it land
> > > solidly on the crank first).
> >
> > http://pardo.net/pardo/bike/pic/fail/FAIL-001.html
> >
> > Metal fatigue from repeated stress cycles.
> >
> > A small crack starts and grows slowly. Eventually the thickness of uncracked metal is not enough
> > to take the stress, and blammo, it cracks the rest of the way through, even while JRA. For
> > example, pictures "crank-fail-011" and "crank-fail-017" at the above link. You can see that half
> > of the break is dark from oxidation and dirt - that's the part that was already cracked, growing
> > slowly. The light part is what was exposed at the moment of failure.
>
> What about stress risers and inclusions? Dark material on the surface of a break does not have to
> be oxidation from crack development. Consider the multitude of failure modes.

I wonder if RF's CNC after near net forging plays into this failure.