just saw an accident.

> Dene Wilby wrote:
>
> > ...Pinderfields ......Leeds General Infirmary.
>

> Where exactly did this happen ? Wakefield ?

Yeah, it was on Union Street. Outside the newsagents near the old bus station.

Dene

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:28:07 +0000, Tony Hogarty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Head wounds always bleed a lot so it may not be as bad as it looks at
first
> >sight.
>
> Too right, Tony
>
> Many years I was lifted my bonnet (Missus!) with the intention of checking my lubricants (also
> Missus). I hit my forehead on the clip that held the hood in place. The result was blood, blood
> and more blood all over the place.
>
> Fortunately, no serious damage was done; but there was one helluva mess.

My 92 year old grandad has recently fallen over and gushed enough blood to have the local council
change his carpet. I don't think he even spent the night in hospital.

> Dene Wilby <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > for the past few weeks he's been going to bed at 6:30pm and sleeping until 4:30am and then back
> > to sleep until 8:30am
>
> You lucky bugger. Our wee one is 8 weeks old, he had a bit of a rough start and we spent the first
> 5 weeks in hospital where he slept most of the time. He is making up for it now by waking every 3
> hours throughout the night and staying awake for over an hour each time. A good sleep seems a
> distant memory, but we're both happy to put up with no sleep as it's a joy to have Thomas. Anyway,
> it's 1:45am where I am, so I'll now *try* to get at least 2 hours uninterrupted sleep 8-/

It DOES get better (but you will have had a million people already telling you that) and the
first night he goes to be at 6:00am and you can watch a movie and cook a meal will seem like you
are in heaven.

Can't resist this now we are on the subjest. Here's my little Josh:

http://www.btinternet.com/~dene.w/josh.jpg

Dene

"John Mallard" <not_me@all> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> A girl who was already there had been trying to administer M to M and massage but every time we
> turned him on to his back the lads kept screaming at us that we were killing him. They kept trying
> to pull him away from us back into the recovery position.

Nightmare. I once arrived at the scene of an accident (zebra crossing) where a fully conscious
teenage girl with suspected broken legs had been placed into the recovery position. I thought that
was bad enough.

--
Dave...

Dene Wilby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> It DOES get better (but you will have had a million people already telling you that) and the
> first night he goes to be at 6:00am and you can watch a movie and cook a meal will seem like you
> are in heaven.
>
> Can't resist this now we are on the subjest. Here's my little Josh:

:) He's a little smasher. Try to keep the sensible bed-times if you
can. My two are 11 and 12 and they're still in bed by 7:30, lights out at 8:30. Peace reigns. :)

--
Dave...

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> My two are 11 and 12 and they're still in bed by 7:30

Over here every (or most) TV channel has some sort of kids' character (Humphrey B Bear, some cat or
other, an echidna etc.) appearing at 7:30 doing a little 1 or 2 minute song saying "Time for bed
kids". I thought that was early, but loads of Aussie adults seem to go to bed not long after!

Graeme

> Dene Wilby <[email protected]> wrote in news:MPG.1a96940110327db5989687 @news.btinternet.com:
>
> > I meant 'got to bed at 6:00pm' of course
> >

> I did think you were getting kind of existential there for a second :) Good looking kid, there's
> a few of Thomas on our web site www.gpdods.com

Another little cutie! Look at us gushing over our babies. hee hee. Josh slept from 6:00pm until
7:30am last night. He was grumbling a bit to wake up but as soon as I put my head over the side of
the cot he focused on me and gave this huge gummy grin. Spent 30 minutes with the little fella then
over to Mum to feed him and I set off on a 20 mile ride to work in mild weather. good times!

Dene

Any others here from Wakefield?

>> Where exactly did this happen ? Wakefield ?
>
>Yeah, it was on Union Street. Outside the newsagents near the old bus station.
>
>Dene

John "Horbury Calling" Clayton www.ossettmouldings.com

In article <[email protected]>, John@ossett-
mouldings.demon.co.uk says...
> Any others here from Wakefield?
>

> >> Where exactly did this happen ? Wakefield ?
> >
> >Yeah, it was on Union Street. Outside the newsagents near the old bus station.
> >
> >Dene
>
> John "Horbury Calling" Clayton www.ossettmouldings.com

Aaaahhh, Horbury Bridge, in the summer i've just done about 35 miles on the way to work at the
point I arrive there and have to go up that hill into Wakefield ;-) I've missed it during the
winter...not ;-)

Dene

Having come 35 miles, you'll have come over much larger one's than that Dene. Quarry Hill is
probably the smallest hill of your trip. Mind you, it'll stil be unwelcome, call at our house (top
of hill) for a cuppa this summer.

John Clayton www.wakefieldsupportgroupautism.org

> Aaaahhh, Horbury Bridge, in the summer i've just done about 35 miles on the way to work at the
> point I arrive there and have to go up that hill into Wakefield ;-) I've missed it during the
> winter...not ;-)
>
> Dene

> Having come 35 miles, you'll have come over much larger one's than that Dene. Quarry Hill is
> probably the smallest hill of your trip. Mind you, it'll stil be unwelcome, call at our house (top
> of hill) for a cuppa this summer.

Might take you up on that mate, although I am always famously late for work in the summer ;-)

I live in Robin Hood near leeds so head out towards Stanley/Altofts/Walton/Notton/Wooley/West
Bretton/Crigglestone. oh yeah, I forgot about that one, there's this realy steep hill going into 'I
think' Netherton before dropping down into Horbury Bridge, that's a steep little thing ;-)

Be well

Dene

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:21:46 +0000 (UTC), Dene Wilby
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Hi, ) )can someone please put my mind at rest on this because it's really )shaken me up. ) )Dene

I don't really know what to say - so is an excellent time for me to say nothing. However, I have
marked the 54 replies for download.

Perhaps the best thing to say that as you didn't directly witness the accident, you don't know what
happened. Where did the person come from ? Was it deliberate/suicide ?

What was reported in the local media ?

It certainly doesn't sound good - I mean - or even hopeful. He'll have suffered two impacts - first
with the bus and second with the ground. There's little reason that either wasn't fatal. Perhaps
assume the worst and if you hear otherwise, it'll just be good news.

You don't know what care the ped was taking (using a mobile phone for instance ?)

Just ensure YOU take all the care you can to minimise the risks.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:05:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

:)Scalp wounds, even small ones, bleed copiously. There are a lot of )blood vessels just under
:your scalp - that's why you lose so much heat )through your head in cold weather. ) )Of course,
:this doesn't mean it was a trivial injury. But lots of )blood does not necessarily mean a fatal
:eek:ne, either.

The fact his head was on the other side of the road than his body might though.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:55:01 +0000 (UTC), Dene Wilby <[email protected]>
wrote:

:)Just a follow up to let you know the lad was 26 years old. According to )teletext, he is still
:alive but has serious injuries. He was taken to )Pinderfields and then later transferred to Leeds
:General Infirmary. )According to the local newsagent the bus windscreen was smashed so there )must
:have been quite an impact. As I said, the bus driver did not seem )to be going at great speed so it
:just shows you what damage even a low )speed collision can cause.

Thanks for the update - do we have a GWS card we can all sign ?

I'm sorry to put a dampener on things, but just over a week ago today (Mon 4 am) some burglars were
challenged by a Brum radio presenter. He was found lying in the road - and had his LSM turned off on
Thursday :(

Speed in his case was likely to be less - possibly the impact with the road was the killer. He was
37, married with 3 young kids. tusharonline.com and a VERY popular presenter at 100·7 Heart FM
heartfm.co.uk - a station I no longer listen to and despite not knowing the guy, having little to do
with him, little contact with him
- and that was over 3 years ago, I really felt the loss. Hence this rambling :(
--
Comm again, Mike.

On 12 Feb 2004 07:42:14 -0800, [email protected] (Sam) wrote:

:) )These things are always scary to onlookers. Not necessarily so bad for )the victim, especially
:if he or she is blissfully unconscious.

Yeah - the dead victim's the lucky one. It's the family and friends that suffer most :(

My accident taught me a lot (was I here in 1997 when I suddenly disappeared ?) about the mental
failures. For the users of IRC, I equated it quite well to a "net split" - and for all I know, it
could have been several. The fact you've no legs doesn't stop you trying to walk. You feel nothing,
but do lots. I never did manage to find out where I was when I gave someone my parent's phone
number. THAT is all I "remember"* of 2 weeks from the impact to the reduction of drugs that allowed
me to regain, er, something. I clearly remember my logical thought process that it was pointless
giving them my own phone number !

* the several "hallucinations"# related to several real-life activities I was going through
at the time.

# I was in no fit state to qualify anything at the time.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:13:41 +0000, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote:

:) )Many years I was lifted my bonnet (Missus!) with the intention of )checking my lubricants (also
:Missus). I hit my forehead on the clip )that held the hood in place.

Been there, done that but not as bad !
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:41:13 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
<[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote:

:)> Nothing to do with helmets. )> So long as you phoned 999 your conscience will be clear. )> You
:did, didn't you. ) )"I carried on cycling and reached for my mobile. By the time I )pulled up the
:bus driver was already off the bus and making a call" ) )Two calls don't get the ambulance there
:any quicker! )

He was probably calling his depot ! How do you know ?

I was staying at my cousin's in a small village. On going to bed, her dog was restless - and as
peace fell upon the place, I heard crackling noises. I looked out the window and there was a fire
further down the road. I knew it wasn't right as the trees were on fire !

We called 999 - and was met with "You must have a lot of good neighbours, we've had several calls
for this." We apologised for wasting their time/equipment, and they said "we'd rather have it this
way than no-one calls."
--
Comm again, Mike.