just starting. info if I'm doing right or not...

crazyseany

Sep 10, 2008
well I've been riding here and there on and off for last 6 years... mostly family rides.I've decided to try and shed some pounds and get myself in better shape. (i am 33 & 6ft currently 234 down from 258 in about 2 months) I've been watching what I eat and especially cutting fat where I can.well I have limited time to ride and have been fitting it in when I can. I am riding a Giant Sedona comfort bike. we've been going casual riding most of the summer but I want to bump it up a notch when I'm by myself. 3 weeks ago I did 18 miles at a pretty good pace...here's what I did last week and going to try and increase some of my mileages if time allowsSunday-7 miles 12.5mph ave.Monday-8 miles 12.5mph ave.Weds.-28 miles 12.5mph ave.Friday 28 miles 9-10 mph ave. (was with wife and kids pulling a tagalong)will continuing this plan increase my fitness? and reduce the weight? S & M & W were after working 12+hour days...thanks for any help and info you can share.sean

What you are doing is better than nothing, that is, it's way ahead of the guys who sit on the couch and watch TV instead of getting some exercise. It will improve your cardiovascular fitness, but it may not be enough to lose weight... at least not without some serious cutting back on calories consumed.

If you start looking at the number of calories that you burn while cycling, it's actually not that much unless you push either the distance or the intensity of the ride, or preferably both. Now, I'm not saying it's useless, only that you may end up being disappointed. To lose weight via cycling, it has to be way past the leisure riding level. I'm a family man myself, but very few "family" rides I've done or seen others doing even attain the level of leisurely riding, except very sporadically. You literally would burn more calories by walking briskly for the same amount of time.

Now, if you were to go out there by yourself and ride 10-15 miles 5-6 days a week, while increasing the intensity of it, you would start seeing some results... but not overnight.

Losing some pounds is all and only about: calories in versus calories used.

crazyseany said:
well I've been riding here and there on and off for last 6 years... mostly family rides.I've decided to try and shed some pounds and get myself in better shape. (i am 33 & 6ft currently 234 down from 258 in about 2 months) I've been watching what I eat and especially cutting fat where I can.well I have limited time to ride and have been fitting it in when I can. I am riding a Giant Sedona comfort bike. we've been going casual riding most of the summer but I want to bump it up a notch when I'm by myself. 3 weeks ago I did 18 miles at a pretty good pace...here's what I did last week and going to try and increase some of my mileages if time allowsSunday-7 miles 12.5mph ave.Monday-8 miles 12.5mph ave.Weds.-28 miles 12.5mph ave.Friday 28 miles 9-10 mph ave. (was with wife and kids pulling a tagalong)will continuing this plan increase my fitness? and reduce the weight? S & M & W were after working 12+hour days...thanks for any help and info you can share.sean

Sounds like you're doing well on the weight loss part as it is...

As for the riding, if you like the routes you're taking then just try going a little harder if time doesn't allow you to go longer. Although some people seem to make training seem like rocket science, it really isn't. Enjoy!

I'm not really riding to loose weight but to be in better shape and maybe do some mountain biking. I figure anything I do is better then doing nothing.been basically loosing weight via weight watchers. I don't goto meetings but my wife has been and she is doing great!basically watching what I eat and making better choices.... turkey burger instead of hamburger... baked lays and diet pop instead of regular...etc.I'm going to up my sun and Mon rides when possible and I try to push myself a little harder each ride.sean