My 16 year-old lad has just started an interest in road riding and is looking at bikes and clubs. Although he will no doubt get good advice from his club on what bike to buy, he needs a bike to join the club. CATCH 22!
One of the club sponsors is a local bike shop - Andouard Philippe, a fairly well known local ex-pro and who sells his hand-made bikes nationally (France). We spent a good couple of hours with him on Saturday and he recommended that we buy a used bike off him for 600 euros. It was a training bike for one of the club racers but was hardly ever used.
My son is already 6' 1" and still growing so we need to get him a decent size bike, which in southern France can be quite difficult. The bike weighs 10 kilos and is steel framed but with good quality components.
My question is, does this seem like a good compromise buy and something that will allow him to "get into" biking and train with his club? Or is the bike likely to be the wrong choice even a couple of months down the line?
He is also on a restricted budget and 600 euros is all he has to spend on a bike.
For 600 euros, I can't think of many bikes that are better new. They might be a kilo lighter (if that), but that's about all...although I don't know what you mean by "good" components. If it fits, and he likes it, I don't think there's going to be a problem.
For 600 euros, I can't think of many bikes that are better new. They might be a kilo lighter (if that), but that's about all...although I don't know what you mean by "good" components. If it fits, and he likes it, I don't think there's going to be a problem.
Yeah, it seems okay for starting out at that price. I think that it (component wise) is a little better than a comparably equipped Bianchi Eros, although I don't really "like" the Shimano Sora front derailleur. Then again, if I had to have Sora anywhere, it would be there. Other things look about as good or better on most any similarly priced biked.
Yeah, it seems okay for starting out at that price. I think that it (component wise) is a little better than a comparably equipped Bianchi Eros, although I don't really "like" the Shimano Sora front derailleur. Then again, if I had to have Sora anywhere, it would be there. Other things look about as good or better on most any similarly priced biked.
He will probably replace that derailleur fairly quickly along with the tyres.