Just starting out.

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by thebadd88, Jan 7, 2010.

1. thebadd88

thebadd88 New Member

Dear Users,
    I come here seeking advice and any and all will be greatly helpful.

My fraternity brothers and I have agreed to do a bike ride to Memphis from Hattiesburg Ms. This is all for charity purposes. It is just at 300 miles. We have about 7-10 days to get there.

I have trained a little but not enough to call serious. I was wondering if started now, serious training, if I and my brothers will be able to make to bike ride? Or will we kill ourselves trying?

Also, what is a great way to train. I've looked training schedules online and have gotten very poor responses. So any help in training schedules and routines would be very helpful also.

I hope you can help me in any way you can.

Thank you.

Tags:

2. Enriss

Enriss New Member

How long do you have before you start? Have you ever ridden 30-40 miles in a single day before? What's the longest you've ever ridden before? Do you have access to any sort of power meter? Are you able to train outside, inside?

3. OldGoat

OldGoat New Member

300 miles/7-10 days=30-42 miles per day. You should be able to knock that out before 11 a.m. each day, even if you sleep in. Leaves plenty of time for you and your fraternity brothers to explore the local pub scene at each stop. Have fun!

Make sure your bikes are in good condition, that you've each got some good cycling kit (including shorts/tights with chamois), and have everything required for minor fixes en route (flats, broken spokes, snapped chains, etc.). Will you have a sag wagon-- a car or van tagging along behind to pick up any stragglers, carry gear [are you tenting?] etc.? If you do a search of this site, you'll find lots of info on what to take and what to leave behind.

4. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

The best way to go about getting ready for your first trip of this sort is to just get out and ride, a lot. Put in as many miles as you can before the trip begins, and start to recover about a week before the ride. When does the trip start?
    What fraternity are you in, btw?

5. thebadd88

thebadd88 New Member

My brothers and I have about 3 months of training. I have never ridden a bike 30 to 40 miles before nor have I really tested myself. We have access to train inside also. Not sure what power meter is either.
    We are the definition of begginers if this helps at all.
    But, I have ridden about 12 to 15 miles on an inside bike and was winded, but not about to pass out tired ya know.

6. thebadd88

thebadd88 New Member

Thank you for the reply and good advice. I am in Sigma Nu.

7. thebadd88

thebadd88 New Member

Wow, thanks! Sounds really positive and I am hoping we can do it. Thanks for the motivation and that would be great to stop at pubs along the way.
    Yes we have members following to pick up stragglers and carry our supplies.
    Does 30 to 40 miles really pass by that fast when on a bike???

8. Enriss

Enriss New Member

It all depends on what speed you can hold. If you hold 20 miles an hour, you're done for the day in 1:30 to 2 hours. If you hold 15 miles an hour, you're done in 2 to 2:40 hours. If you hold 10 miles an hour, you're done in 3 to 4 hours.

So basically, you should be able to handle the intensity of the exercise no matter what shape you're in. The question is more about volume, which you should also probably be able to handle if you're in reasonable shape.

If it were me, I'd probably train up until then by doing some long, outdoor rides two to three times a week, and some measured power 3x20 intervals two or three times a week. Anything will make you a better cyclist if you're untrained, but training in 20 minute intervals and measuring the power gives you a reliable way to determine how much more powerful you've gotten for longer efforts. It also lets you set an achievable target for yourself. Something like, "I want to improve my 20 minute wattage by 5 watts a week!" Over the course of 10 weeks (and you have 12 to train) that adds up to 50 watts of sustainable, long term power, and 50 is a pretty significant number of watts in a sport where people chase after 300 watts for years.

Edit: 5 watts per week might be a little bit high, but what the hell do I know. I'm not a coach.

9. fergie

fergie Member

First off don't worry about training by power. Just get out and ride.

I don't see 30-40miles a day as an issue. If it takes you a little longer then it's just less drinking time.

I would put more thought into the logistics. Punctures, repairs, accommodation, where to keep the bikes when drinking, resisting the urge to ride after drinking, what to wear, having someone in a support car and taking turns being the driver, choosing a safe route, basic group riding skills, using your gears on the bike etc.

Training wise build up to riding 30-40miles a day then work on riding that distance for 2 days in a row, then 3, then 4. Once you can do this you will be fine.

Enjoy the trip.

10. Enriss

Enriss New Member

Go with this. Fergie actually knows what he's talking about.