Just Starting Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tanya Miller

Hi guys, I am a beginner that's interested in getting into mountain biking. Thing is, I'm a bit on
the heavy side and am concerned about getting a bike that can stand up to average trail riding even
with my weight (~220lbs). Any suggestions on a make and model that will help get me into the
mountain biking lifestyle? I've heard that the women's bikes from Trek are decent, but wanted to get
a few more opinions. Thanks!

Tanya Miller retorted :
> Hi guys, I am a beginner that's interested in getting into mountain biking. Thing is, I'm a bit on
> the heavy side and am concerned about getting a bike that can stand up to average trail riding
> even with my weight (~220lbs). Any suggestions on a make and model that will help get me into the
> mountain biking lifestyle? I've heard that the women's bikes from Trek are decent, but wanted to
> get a few more opinions. Thanks!

you must be talking about WSD...the women specific design. Those are frame designed for women that
fall within a certain parameter of body proportions. Typically, long legs and short torso. For
sizing, that's a place to start but there are a lot of gals out there, myself included who get a
better fit off a regular frame than a WSD frame. So don't get too sold on that.

A lot of folks here ( amb) don't like treks but just as many ride them and are happy guys. I'd be
concerned about good welds and a strong frame... perhaps the Clydesdales can give some pointers for
you to look for.

As for the lifestyle <g> can't help you much there...

Penny S

On 2004-02-21, Tanya Miller penned:
> Hi guys, I am a beginner that's interested in getting into mountain biking. Thing is, I'm a bit on
> the heavy side and am concerned about getting a bike that can stand up to average trail riding
> even with my weight (~220lbs). Any suggestions on a make and model that will help get me into the
> mountain biking lifestyle? I've heard that the women's bikes from Trek are decent, but wanted to
> get a few more opinions. Thanks!
>

I have a Trek Fuel 90 that I got last summer -- my first mountain bike, and my first bike in
years. I've been happy with it, but I'm not a clydesdale (rider over 200 pounds). I did have to
correct a bike tech who reduced the amount of pressure in my fork because he thought I was about
30 pounds lighter than I actually was. Watch out for techs who assume that women are automatically
lighter than men.

I've had no problems with my bike so far, but I haven't been riding it very aggressively, either.

I was also psyched about Trek's women-specific design, but after trying a few of them on for size,
my salesguy pointed me in the direction of the standard models. It turns out that not all women are
designed the same =) So keep an open mind -- try many bikes and see what feels best, and what your
salespeople think looks best -- they have a lot of experience matching up people to bikes. I wanted
to support a company making efforts to reach out women, but I'm not going to do that at the expense
of a good fit.

You didn't ask, but I would also suggest that you take a look at pedal options before you go
shopping. Medium to high-end bikes will often come equipped with "clipless" pedals, which despite
their name are pedals into which you clip a special shoe. I got these at first, but later switched
to BMX-style flats because the stress of clipping out at a standstill was overshadowing my fun
factor. Other people, particularly those with more experience on bikes, have started on them and
done fine. There are also "toe clips" (those baskets that you slip the toe of your shoe into). In
addition to these "big three" there are countless other options.

One other thing -- get a nice pair of padded bike shorts. http://www.teamestrogen.com/ often has a
nice assortment, but they tend to understock the larger sizes. Oh, wait -- I see a link to their "Plus-
size specialty shop" on the front page. Anyway, you'd probably want to try some shorts on in a shop
first, but this is an option, as well.

--
monique

Status
Not open for further replies.