Just the one physical side effect......

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi y'all, Having now bored y'all to tears about the lands end to john o' groats ride I completed
    last week, I'd like advice as to whether the one physical side effect I've encountered is likely to
    be permanent or not.... I used standard pedals and newish walking shoes with thick soles. The idea
    being I could get the leverage I'd need without too much foot pain and if things got really messy, I
    could walk a fair distance if need be without suffering either. During the course of the ride (keep
    in mind I was completing around a hundred miles a day, for roughly 9 days), I noticed my middle
    three toes on each foot were tingling, from about day 4 or 5. I am now the best part of a week off
    the bike and the toes are still tingling. It's not quite a totally numb feeling (wouldn't like to
    try sticking a sharp pin in them to check ;-), more of just a ....tingling. It comes and goes in
    intensity. I've tried running, swimming, walking and just resting with no great improvement. I
    assume I've damaged a nerve that runs through the ball of my foot to the toes and hopefully it will
    settle down in time. If it's still the same after a month I will visit my GP. In the meantime,
    anyone had any experience of this kind of thing or any views as to what may be going on. Keep
    expecting to look down and seeing them going black, ready to drop off
    !! ;-)
    Cheers, Dave.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > Hi y'all, Having now bored y'all to tears about the lands end to john o' groats ride
    > completed last week, I'd like advice as to whether the one physical side effect I've encountered
    > is likely to be permanent or not.... I used standard pedals and newish walking shoes with thick
    > soles. The idea being I could get the leverage I'd need without too much foot pain and if things
    > got really messy, I could walk a fair distance if need be without suffering either. During the
    > course of the ride (keep in mind I was completing around a hundred miles a day, for roughly 9
    > days), I noticed my middle three toes
    on
    > each foot were tingling, from about day 4 or 5. I am now the best part of
    > week off the bike and the toes are still tingling. It's not quite a
    totally
    > numb feeling (wouldn't like to try sticking a sharp pin in them to check ;-), more of just a
    > ....tingling. It comes and goes in intensity.

    I had the same thing in my fingers (nerve damage) from the vibration transmitted to the 'bars . It
    took many months to go away completely, perhaps a year if I recall correctly.

  3. Panda

    Panda Guest

    my mates hand went numb during our holland trip, and it was ok after a couple of weeks.
    another friend (while climbing) lost all feelin in one arm, it returned to normal again after
    couple of weeks

    panda

    > Hi y'all, Having now bored y'all to tears about the lands end to john o' groats ride
    > completed last week, I'd like advice as to whether the one physical side effect I've encountered
    > is likely to be permanent or not.... I used standard pedals and newish walking shoes with thick
    > soles. The idea being I could get the leverage I'd need without too much foot pain and if things
    > got really messy, I could walk a fair distance if need be without suffering either. During the
    > course of the ride (keep in mind I was completing around a hundred miles a day, for roughly 9
    > days), I noticed my middle three toes
    on
    > each foot were tingling, from about day 4 or 5. I am now the best part of
    > week off the bike and the toes are still tingling. It's not quite a
    totally
    > numb feeling (wouldn't like to try sticking a sharp pin in them to check ;-), more of just a
    > ....tingling. It comes and goes in intensity. I've tried running, swimming, walking and just
    > resting with no great improvement. I assume I've damaged a nerve that runs through the ball of my
    > foot to the toes and hopefully it will settle down in time. If it's still the same after a month
    > I will visit my GP. In the meantime, anyone had any experience of this kind of thing or any views
    > as to what
    may
    > be going on. Keep expecting to look down and seeing them going black, ready to drop off
    > !! ;-)
    > Cheers, Dave.

  4. Claire

    Claire Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> writes:

    >During the course of the ride (keep in mind I was completing around a hundred miles a day, for
    >roughly 9 days), I noticed my middle three toes on each foot were tingling, from about day 4 or 5.
    >I am now the best part of a week off the bike and the toes are still tingling. It's not quite a
    >totally numb feeling (wouldn't like to try sticking a sharp pin in them to check ;-), more of just
    >a ....tingling. It comes and goes in intensity. I've tried running, swimming, walking and just
    >resting with no great improvement.

    Even on a short ride or walk I can get this. Tight shoes make it happen faster, but it usually
    happens at some point anyway. If it was caused by a short ride/walk it usually goes away within an
    hour or so of stopping. I've not tried a ride or walk in the vicinity of what you've achieved to
    know how long it would last then, however:

    I also get it from wearing certain types of high heeled shoes *&) The worst kind (my ABBA silver
    platforms spring to mind) worn for an extended evening of dancing (and carousing) cause it to stick
    around for up to a fortnight and it gets better in a gradual, barely noticeable way until one day I
    realise that actually, it's gone now.

    I too suspect some kind of nerve damage. I don't know how serious it is and whether I should steer
    clear of the high heels at least, but so far it's always got better eventually.

    Claire

    --
    Still prettiest by far.

  5. Last June, after an event in France where we rode c.320 miles in 2.5 days, I had a 'numb' toe for
    c.6 weeks. But it wore off eventually, and during that period it didn't prevent me improving my PBs
    for 10,15 & 25 miles. So, maybe give it time and spend your money at your LBS rather than on
    pharmacy or physio...

    --

  6. kat

    kat New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2003
    I got back from a 6 week tour 3 weeks ago, and both my big toes are still numb. Apparently it can take months for it too wear off. It's not really a problem though, unlike the numb hands/fingers I get on most long rides, which sometimes get so bad that I can't change gear :(

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >During the course of the ride (keep in mind I was completing around a hundred miles a day, for
    > >roughly 9 days), I noticed my middle three toes
    on
    > >each foot were tingling, from about day 4 or 5. I am now the best part of
    > >week off the bike and the toes are still tingling. It's not quite a
    totally
    > >numb feeling (wouldn't like to try sticking a sharp pin in them to check ;-), more of just a
    > >....tingling. It comes and goes in intensity. I've tried running, swimming, walking and just
    > >resting with no great improvement.
    >
    > Even on a short ride or walk I can get this. Tight shoes make it happen faster, but it usually
    > happens at some point anyway. If it was caused by
    > short ride/walk it usually goes away within an hour or so of stopping.
    I've
    > not tried a ride or walk in the vicinity of what you've achieved to know
    how
    > long it would last then, however:
    >
    > I also get it from wearing certain types of high heeled shoes *&) The
    worst
    > kind (my ABBA silver platforms spring to mind) worn for an extended
    evening
    > of dancing (and carousing) cause it to stick around for up to a fortnight
    and
    > it gets better in a gradual, barely noticeable way until one day I realise that actually, it's
    > gone now.
    >
    > I too suspect some kind of nerve damage. I don't know how serious it is
    and
    > whether I should steer clear of the high heels at least, but so far it's always got better
    > eventually.

    No more cycling in high heels ?!!?....damn, where's the fun in that then ? ;-)

    > Claire
    >
    > --
    > Still prettiest by far.
    No doubt! and certainly in Abba-esque platforms....

  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Last June, after an event in France where we rode c.320 miles in 2.5 days, I had a 'numb' toe for
    > c.6 weeks. But it wore off eventually, and during that period it didn't prevent me improving my
    > PBs for 10,15 & 25 miles. So, maybe give it time and spend your money at your LBS rather than on
    > pharmacy or physio...
    >
    > Dave wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi y'all, Having now bored y'all to tears about the lands end to john o' groats
    ride I
    > > completed last week, I'd like advice as to whether the one physical side effect I've encountered
    > > is likely to be permanent or not...
    >
    > --
    Ok, thanks all for responses. I think the combination of continual high mileage combined with
    'rough tarmac' conspired to create the condition. I'm hopeful, following on from these responses
    that it will clear up in the near future. I wore shoes a half size too big as I'd heard about the
    effects of cold / wet weather in tight fitting shoes...must be honest, didn't really wear high
    heels ;-) As I probably won't be doing much more than the once a week 50 miler or so, I will
    probably stick with the shoes I use as I never had any problem with them prior to this marathon
    effort. Thanks again, Dave.

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "kat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I got back from a 6 week tour 3 weeks ago, and both my big toes are still numb. Apparently it can
    > take months for it too wear off. It's not really a problem though, unlike the numb hands/fingers I
    > get on most long rides, which sometimes get so bad that I can't change gear :(

    I've got drop bars that used to send my thumbs / fingers numb, in the cold it was even worse. I
    fitted pipe lagging foam around the top straight part of them and haven't had the problem since,
    even in the cold (guess that's the insulation effect of the lagging ;-) Know what you meant about
    the gear changing problem though, especially on my old racer style roadbike with the downtube gear
    levers. Bad enough that you have to reach down to them, even worse when you have to look to make
    sure you've got a hold of the levers before pushing down or pulling up !...ah the joys..... Dave.

  10. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    > As I probably won't be doing much more than the once a week 50 miler or so, I will probably stick
    > with the shoes I use as I never had any problem with them prior to this marathon effort.

    I also think this is minor nerve damage that will probably clear up by itself over the next few
    weeks. If they were my feet, however, and I were still planning to do longish rides I think I'd be
    seriously looking a new good quality shoe and pedal system.

    Disclaimer: I am not medically qualified.

    BTW I haven't yet added my "well done", so let me do so now. I had a feeling you'd get there.

    --
    Dave...

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > BTW I haven't yet added my "well done", so let me do so now. I had a feeling you'd get there.
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

    Thanks Dave ;-) Dave.

  12. On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:43:52 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I wore shoes a half size too big as I'd heard about the effects of cold / wet weather in tight
    >fitting shoes...must be honest, didn't really wear high heels ;-)

    I suffer from the occasional numb middle toe. In a strange counter intuitive way I find that
    tightening my shoes helps - I have velcro (sp?) straps that can be adjusted. I have wondered if a
    loose fitting shoe allows the feet to move too much in the shoe and this is causing pressure on
    nerves/restricting blood flow.

    John T.

    Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:43:52 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I wore shoes a half size too big as I'd heard about the effects of cold / wet weather in tight
    > >fitting shoes...must be honest, didn't really wear
    high
    > >heels ;-)
    >

    > I suffer from the occasional numb middle toe. In a strange counter intuitive way I find that
    > tightening my shoes helps - I have velcro (sp?) straps that can be adjusted. I have wondered if a
    > loose fitting shoe allows the feet to move too much in the shoe and this is causing pressure on
    > nerves/restricting blood flow.
    >
    > John T.
    >
    > Remove the singers of Spam before replying

    heh-heh....just when ya think...... Must admit though to having similar type of shoe that I normally
    use for cycling but half a size smaller, never had any problems with those, apart from getting
    caught out in the rain and getting really cold feet...never had any numb toes / tingly nerve type
    symptoms though. cheers, Dave.