Just to expensive, quick question

jrstudman81

Banned
Aug 18, 2011
Not going to buy the bmc racemachine rm01, though it does look exceptionally good, just too much money. and I'm still not comfortable with drop down bars. Steering toward a hybrid bike. Have a couple choices in mind, what does everyone think of these 2 bikes. The Specialized Sirrus Limited (2100.00) or the Giant Rapid hybrid $1,150) dollars. I do like the specialized hybrid I think it comes with a carbon frame not sure though. I wish it came in a color other than black though and ways around that? Also, can you recommend other companies or bikes that our solid hybrid bikes? I almost fell off my dads road bike with drop downs I'm so unbalanced on those bikes i just don't know why. So i'd be better off with a flat bar hybrid bike?? I think a 5,000 dollar bike would look kinda stupid with flat bars put on it when its suppose to have drop downs, just my opinion though. Also, is Black the only color the Specialized sirrus limited comes in???

Joe.

Awesome, you made like 5 threads about the BMC, plus another thread *****ing that nobody answered your questions, and now you realize it's too expensive...

Doesn't sound like you are asking the right section. Doubt many people are going to know about hybrid bikes (or care for that matter).

Riding a road bike takes some getting used to. I've been riding BMX and mtn bikes my whole life so the first time I got on a road bike with narrow tires and handlebars, I could barely stay up. After I started riding a road bike, I'd get cramps in my sides from leaning over so much while pedaling. Totally gotten used to it now and I ride in the drops all the time. It just takes a few months.

well that really doesn't answer my questions, why wouldn't anyone care about hybrid bikes, NOT popular? anymore, not a good bike choice to start with or what? Also, does the specialized sirrus limited 2012 come in any other colors besides charcoal/black?

Sound like all you really want is a basic fitness bike. Get yourself to a bike shop - they have a lot and can answer your questions in real time.

Your posts indicate that you are really excited but know little about bicycles and the features of varied types. If you are thinking about doing an on-line purchase, don't; right now you are window shopping (and buying based on looks possibly) and don't really know much about what you are lusting after.

If you are serious, go to a dealer: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCDealerLocR2.jsp

Personally, I don't know why someone would shell out serious cash for a carbon fiber fitness bike. Go-fast components and materials on a not go fast geometry appears to be contradictory to me. An aluminum or steel frame would be sufficient and require less TLC from the owner in the long term. The marketing material on the website is a little humorous:

"New FACT 8r carbon, FACT IS constructed frame with Endurance Road geometry, Zertz inserts, and tapered head tube delivers the pure speed of a high-end road bike in a flat-bar package"

Wow, I didn't know that a tapered head tube on a fitness bike delivers the pure speed of a high end road bike - it doesn't. There is a reason fast riders are in the drops with their backs parallel to the ground, because aerodynamics is a large factor in speed production.

Anyway, it looks like a high quality ride - probably among the best of hybrid bikes. Be aware that these bikes exist in a middling ground of performance. They cant go off road any better than a road bike and are not the fastest on road, but they may be a bit more comfy; perhaps they are the crossover-suv-luxury-sportwagon of the biking world.

so what our you saying that a fitness hybrid bike with flat handlebars, won't be fast at all?? I know they our plenty fast, I had a mtn. bike huffy as a kid and I got clocked 28mph on that bike. Hybrid bikes our as fast as road bikes with a light frame. Such as the carbon that comes with the sirrus limited.

You were considering a Trek Speed concept (TT/Tri), BMC racemachine (road race) and now a Specialized Sirrus all in the past few days. None are "beginner" bikes, are all for quite different types of riding and usually not considered for purchase side by side.

Do some research and visit a local bike shop. Learn about the advantages of different types of bikes.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bicycle.html

Originally Posted by jrstudman81 .

I had a mtn. bike huffy as a kid and I got clocked 28mph on that bike.
Awesome. What color handlebar streamers did it have? I had red ones on my BMX and got clocked at 32mph going uphill, in the snow, barefoot!

Specialized Sirrus is marketed as a "fitness bike," for riders who want a sporty, nimble ride on the road using flat handlebars, and without getting into the full commitment of a road bike with drop handlebars and clip-in pedals. Trek FX and Giant Rapid are very similar in concept. The shop I work for sells tons of Trek FXs, mostly in the less expensive range. I like these bikes a lot. I wish I had one for bopping around town, running errands, and taking the dog for a run. They're just a practical, rugged fun ride that you can enjoy without a lot of money and commitment.

If you want to spend money, though, Trek has a 7.9 FX with a carbon frame, that sells for around $2800.

oldbobcat,

For the intended riders, what advantages do the high-end fitness bikes have over the base or typical price range?

Are the high-end ones competition ready / fitness oriented bikes?

Originally Posted by maydog .

oldbobcat,

For the intended riders, what advantages do the high-end fitness bikes have over the base or typical price range?

Are the high-end ones competition ready / fitness oriented bikes?
The lower end bikes have aluminum frames, aluminum or steel forks, and 7- and 8-speed drivetrains with mountain bike style cranks with triple chainrings. The middle range gets you carbon forks, lighter wheels and other components, and 9-speed mountain bike or road bike style cranks with triple chainrings. The high end gets you ten-speed road drivetrains with triple chainrings, even lighter wheels, and full carbon frames in the top models. Generally, as you spend more money you get a smoother ride, less weight, and more refined controls (brakes and shifters).

Generally, the high end models are popular with riders who cover more miles but don't want a road bike, or riders who simply have more money to spend and want something special.

Fitness hybrids are not suitable for serious racing, although they are quite popular with casual or beginning triathletes who use them as a step up from mountain bikes.

My last question was intended to be humorous, but thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by maydog .

My last question was intended to be humorous, but thanks for the information.
I wonder if the original poster is even paying attention any more. The joke's on us.