Just visited a bike shop

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
I try to visit a couple of bike shops recommended. Today I visited The Bicycle Entrepreneur at Nedlands WA suggested by Gclark8. My problem when I'm at bike shop, I am blank about what to look for or ask to the seller.

The seller does recommended me at price range $2000 - $2500 to get Cannondale Synapse, which they would have the 2007 lineup at around $2000.

Also since my height is 160cm, he also suggested to look at Avanti range, since Avanti tends to cater for smaller frame size.

What do you think about the Synapse? is it worth getting? and what are the equivalent bikes in my price range for Avanti or other brands?

Since they are waiting for the new line-ups, he said to come again in 1 - 2months. So while waiting, I might as well ask your opinions

mysrh said:
I try to visit a couple of bike shops recommended. Today I visited The Bicycle Entrepreneur at Nedlands WA suggested by Gclark8. My problem when I'm at bike shop, I am blank about what to look for or ask to the seller.

The seller does recommended me at price range $2000 - $2500 to get Cannondale Synapse, which they would have the 2007 lineup at around $2000.

Also since my height is 160cm, he also suggested to look at Avanti range, since Avanti tends to cater for smaller frame size.

What do you think about the Synapse? is it worth getting? and what are the equivalent bikes in my price range for Avanti or other brands?

Since they are waiting for the new line-ups, he said to come again in 1 - 2months. So while waiting, I might as well ask your opinions
I don't like to recommend bikes as everyone has their opinion, good, bad and ugly. As long as the fit is good, buy what you want.

Having said that, the service you get, the way you look after your bike are most important. I can recommend two shops too you.

Runners World (bit surprised George did not mention them) and Cyclemania in N.Perth. Both have great service and prices are very reasonable.

TBE for the Cannondale Synapse.

Runners World for Felt, Cervelo, Giant.

Cyclemania in N.Perth for the best bike shop loo in Perth!!! :D

Oh, he did mentioned Runner's World before. I've visited them, but their stock doesn't have anything that would fit me.

And what I was asking about was maybe more to the frame quality n design.
I haven't seen cyclemania, but will do now, since I can drive now since the accident :rolleyes:

I have yet visited one in Cannington, Cyclerama if I'm not mistaken.
So far I haven't tried any bikes cos again because they don't have my size :(

Runners had a white 50cm F100 Felt in there last week. :) It has Cyclocross levers.....

Oh, I went there last week too. Oh well...
Hopefully cyclerama has cannondale too, so I have more choices (specialized looks awesome too) :D

mysrh said:
Oh, I went there last week too. Oh well...
Hopefully cyclerama has cannondale too, so I have more choices (specialized looks awesome too) :D
Naa i don't think cyclerama has cannondale, but they've got heaps of Giants and Specialized bikes.

http://www.cyclerama.net/

hope that helps.

mysrh said:
I think instead of waiting to buy the new 2007 models, why not consider getting the 2006 clearances. Most are going at highly discounted rates and for the size you're looking for i think it should be relatively easy to find..

Yes, that was the problem, since they are waiting for the upcoming 2007 models, they run out of the 2006 bikes in my size.

Anyway, I just visited Cyclemania today, and their service is like what the above people said, really helpful and friendly too. I even had tried the bike. He had me try the Raceline bike.

From roadbike newbie perspective, it is really difficult having a feel of a bike particularly since I have no experience with road bike, hence when people say find one that you feel good, in my experience everything felt awkward and I feel that it wasn't the bike but it's me because I'm not used to it

ADD: the Raceline I was offered was Raceline Ultra Alc for $2099, what do you think?
This is the specs:

Raceline Ultra ALC Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed

FRAME 7005 Oversize Triple Butted Alloy integrated headtube & custom tapered DT. Smooth welds Carbon seat stays
FORK
Easton EC70AL Carbon with Fully Integrated Alloy Steerer HANDLEBAR Easton EA70 31.8 Oversized Ergo Bend
HEADSET
Cane Creek 1 1/8th integrated
HEAD STEM
Easton EA70 6 degree Ahead oversized
BRAKE LEVER Shimano Ultegra BRAKES Shimano Ultegra CHAINWHEEL Shimano Ultegra Hollow Tech 39/53T B/B Shimano Ultegra Intergrated
PEDAL
Shimano Ultegra
SHIFTERS
Shimano Ultegra 20 Spd STI
F/DERAILLEUR
Shimano Ultegra
R/DERAILLEUR Shimano Ultegra 10 speed
SADDLE
Selle Italia Filante
SEATPOST
Easton EA30 27.2 RIMS Shimano R-550 Wheelset Black/Silver
SPOKES
Shimano S/Steel Black
HUBS
Shimano R-550 Wheelset
FREEWHEEL Shimano Ultegra 12-23T 10 spd
CHAIN
Shimano Ultegra 10 Spd TYRES Michelin Carbon TS 700c x 23

That's a lot of money to spend on a first road bike, but its a lot of bike!

What was your original idea? What is your bike size? (sorry, for having to ask)

Gday George,
my sizemeasuring the seam is 49. But with the raceline my size is 46.
Well really my budget is around $2000 - $2500, but I don't quite get you when you said it is a lot for a first bike. Care to ellaborate why it is the case?

My thought is to have a decent bike that has quite decent component and particularly decent frame. The reason being to have a feel of what a good bike should feel like. And whether I will get the bike bug, I will still use the bike now and then. but at the moment I plan to do a regular ride, sine I gain weight after 2 months not doing any exercises.

I guess I am showing my age and conservtive nature. I usually sugggest 3x8 speed to first bike riders or 3x9 if they want to spend over $1k. A bike with 2x10 requires quite a deal of experience to get the most out of it and can be disapointing if the rider does not have the matching riding skills.

I see many $3k-$5k bikes outside cafes and hotels on Sat and Sun mornings, http://www.triwa.org.au/discus//messages/6/4575.html?1150084279 but the ones doing the real riding are on more modest steeds.

Any bike shop will remove your cash, layer by layer, but getting the right bike first without over spending is quite a skill. I suggest to have a look at some Felts, yes the smaller sizes may have to come ex-east, and some Cervelos. Giant have 06 specials at the moment. Make a time to go in and see Phil at Runners World, he gives the best advice I have heard.

My GF (Little Jackie) changed dealer to buy a Felt and from Phil, just because of the attention to service and bike fit.

Another place to look for bikes and advice is the local Tri Forum: http://www.triwa.org.au/discus/index.html

Go to Cyclerama... They have a very good range of Giant and Specialized bicycles, and at very good prices. I am in there regularly so I can vouch that they have a very wide range of sizes and models in Giant. Not so much in Specialized though, as Specialized bikes are running out!

Go and speak to Jeff or Joe, especially Jeff as he knows his road stuff (being an ex-state rep and all). They are always willing to spend time with you so you get what you want, and will let you test ride as many bikes as you want.

If going for a road bike, I would not recommend a triple chainring at the front. They are heavier, mess up the gear ratio's, and don't shift well at all. So, if there is the option, definitely go the double chainring. You may want to settle for a 'compact' crankset which is a double chainring, but less teeth. These can be found in the Giant OCR range, and also Specialized.

HTH

As a beginning cyclist you need a triple chainring if possible. You will need the small chain ring for hills (guys use their muscles). I am extremely pleased with my Felt F100. If you want to spend a bit more why don't you investigate Felt F80 50cm. I found Cyclerama wanted top dollar for all their bikes. I bought an OCR 3 $200 cheaper at Runners World for a friend.

As a woman 4' 11" I have found that although I loved the Giants (they are excellent value for money) they were too long for me in the toptube and for most of my women friends)

I have heard that the lady at Ideal Cycles in Hilton is extremely helpful and gives great advice. You will not waste anything by a visit!

QUOTE=AzzaC]

..............If going for a road bike, I would not recommend a triple chainring at the front. They are heavier, mess up the gear ratio's, and don't shift well at all. So, if there is the option, definitely go the double chainring. You may want to settle for a 'compact' crankset which is a double chainring, but less teeth.

HTH[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the mysrhs abilities are but if indeed you are relatively new to cycling don't base your choice between D and T on AzzaCs "misinformation" of a triple crank.

My experience on road bike is zero, I've been riding a mountain bike now and then. So I assume I need a lot of learning about bike control skill.

That Ideal Cycle at Hilton may be worth a visit, since I live around Winthrop.
My reason buying around $2000s range is because I am used to having 1 bike and upgrade from there (without having to sell the old one and buy a new one), that's why I focus on frame quality too.

But well that is my reason, I surely would love to hear why I should stick with less pricey bike as first road bike, I believe you guys with more experiences in biking should have more valid reasons.

ADD: so at the moment, it's not about which bike is the best, but more like, given my experiences in road bike, what sort of feature in a bike I should look at.

And before I forget, I really appreciate all of the input given.:)

I just have a thought, do you think for a guy at 160cm a compact frame would be good or fit better? I don't know what the advantages of riding a compact frame though. :)

Little Jackie recently bought a Giant OCR3 for BF#2 (Perry), his first road bike. He is 160cm with shortish legs. The OCR3 is red, XS, yes XS size and fits him perfectly. I don't see any need for any upgrades in his bike, maybe some 23mm Conti Ultra Gator Skin Tyres next season.

He is learning more bike skills with a 3x8 speed entry level bike. Mistakes are cheaper with this bike than a $2K+ bike. :)

If you are the same size as Perry then the 50cm Felt F100 at Runners World will fit you well.

Thanks for that, George!
Now I've decided to pay Runners World a second visit.

Also the other reason with buying intermediate level bikes is if I feel I don't enjoy road biking because of the bike itself not having smooth mechanism (rough gear changing, components being unforgiving), then it might put me off from doing further in road biking.

For example, in badminton sport, a beginner who is advised to used cheaper racket (one made of steel or alumunium) until they advance to next level, might feel discouraged if after awhile since the racket hold them from swing the racket faster, and not allow their arm to react quicker because of the heavy racket.

So that's one thing that I don't know and hopefully someone can counter my reason for buying intermediate level bikes (the $2000s+ range).