Just want an inexpensive bike for short trips

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Apr 16, 2006.

  1. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Werehatrack wrote:
    > No joke! Beware of 26" Schwinn three-speeds (and 26" Schwinn
    > derailleur bikes, for that matter) that have tires which are not
    > obviously of the now-common "mountain bike" size range. Schwinn made
    > a bunch of bikes with rims that look like they take the common 26 x 1
    > 3/8" tires, but they're just a trifle bigger, and the common tires
    > will not fit. (Actually, it's sort of possible to force a 26 x 1 3/8"
    > tire on to these, but you'll be sorry you tried.) Getting two tires
    > of the correct size for one of those Schwinn bikes can set you back as
    > much as the price of a whole WallyWorld bike.

    Huh?
    EA1 -597 tires are ten bucks at most LBS. In fact, for the
    occasional customer who _wants_ a $20 tire, none exist AFAIK.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  2. couldn't I just replace the rear wheel gears? I mean for 25 bucks, that
    should be an OK cost for the added time I will get from it.... at any
    rate, I should get this one so that I can learn to tune and fix bikes.

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:47:14 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:25:48 GMT, richard <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>>One thing about old Schwinns, though - it's may be a royal pain to find
    >>>and mount tires on those.

    >Werehatrack wrote:
    >> No joke! Beware of 26" Schwinn three-speeds (and 26" Schwinn
    >> derailleur bikes, for that matter) that have tires which are not
    >> obviously of the now-common "mountain bike" size range. Schwinn made
    >> a bunch of bikes with rims that look like they take the common 26 x 1
    >> 3/8" tires, but they're just a trifle bigger, and the common tires
    >> will not fit. (Actually, it's sort of possible to force a 26 x 1 3/8"
    >> tire on to these, but you'll be sorry you tried.) Getting two tires
    >> of the correct size for one of those Schwinn bikes can set you back as
    >> much as the price of a whole WallyWorld bike.

    >Huh?
    >EA1 -597 tires are ten bucks at most LBS. In fact, for the
    >occasional customer who _wants_ a $20 tire, none exist AFAIK.

    S-6 tires were $20 each the only time I tried to find any locally, and
    only one shop had any on hand. The rest could get them, but the price
    was about the same.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  4. On 16 Apr 2006 19:10:06 -0700, "modmans2ndcoming" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >couldn't I just replace the rear wheel gears? I mean for 25 bucks, that
    >should be an OK cost for the added time I will get from it.... at any
    >rate, I should get this one so that I can learn to tune and fix bikes.

    Sure you can, but if too much needs replacing on that bike it's gonna add
    up to real money pretty soon. $25 here, $25 there, pretty soon you're
    taling real money.. to paraphrase someone or other.

    Jasper

  5. I went to look at the like today. Good news! the frame is in fantastic
    shape, no rust on any of it. the rims are in good shape as well (though
    some one said to get alloy rims, I will look into that) the gears are
    not worn badly. Apparently, this bike was owned by an older gentleman
    who had bought it about 28 years ago when he turned 60 so he could joy
    ride, and he took really good care of it.

    I must say, I notice a clear difference in the gear shifting on this
    bike as compared to my old huffy I had as a kid... it is so crisp and
    responsive.

    all in all, I feel this is the best 25 bucks I ever spent... and I
    think the seller could have gotten more for this bike.

    One more question, The paint is scuffed up, and I want to repair it.
    The fastest way is probably a new paint job. the problem is that I
    would like to keep the name visible. Is there any place I can purchase
    authentic decals that I can put on after I paint and before the clear
    coat or am I stuck with either scuffed up with decals or a nice paint
    job?

    Thanks.

    oh, any book I should get on tuning and maintaining a bike?

    Jeremy

  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 17 Apr 2006 09:14:06 -0700, "modmans2ndcoming"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >oh, any book I should get on tuning and maintaining a bike?

    Zinn's book is, in my opinion, an excellent place to start.

    With proper attention, that Raleigh can take you thousands of miles
    without having to change anything but tires and a chain once in a
    while.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >I'm not looking at really biking for heavy exercise just yet. I want to
    >buy a bike that I can use comfortably. I do not want a suspension (to
    >much to worry about) since I am doing city riding. I would like about 3
    >speeds so I can deal with slight differences in road grade.
    >I have been reading on here a lot about what bikes are good and not
    >good. I can see that most of the problems are with bikes that have more
    >things that can go wrong, so simple is better in my case.
    >I found (don't laugh) a wal-mart bike that I think fits my needs at
    >this time. It is the Next Monterey.
    >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3596787
    >My question is, how hard is the gear system to take care of in this
    >case? it is 3 speed internal gear system. My parents had a similar
    >system on their ancient 3 speed bikes and they never seemed to have a
    >problem with it.
    >what do you all think? good buy for my needs? Will I have a problem
    >getting fenders and a stand on it?

    Assuming the bike is properly assembled, which is a crap shoot at walmart,
    then it should work fine for you. This type of bike requires little to no
    maintenance on the drivetrain. When the chain starts to make noise, clean it
    and then oil it and you should be fine. S-A hubs are very reliable, so that
    should not be an issue.
    ---------------
    Alex

  8. big Pete

    big Pete New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2004
    I have one of those ... good bike but the back axle is a bit week (i.e. I have bent it only rode it for about 3 months one more thing I am 280 lbs).

  9. On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 05:16:01 +1000, big Pete
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have one of those ... good bike but the back axle is a bit week (i.e.
    >I have bent it only rode it for about 3 months one more thing I am 280
    >lbs).

    My experience at similar weights is that all freewheel axles bend quickly.

    Jasper