just want to get in shape! help me out :)

mullinsd2

Mar 26, 2010
I am a college phys. ed. major, and after finding out how poorly conditioned my heart is today, I have decided to do something about it. So I want to get into road cycling to get in better shape. I am not looking to spend a thousand bucks, but I just want a decent bike that I can ride and feel comfortable with. I am comfortable buying something used, so please offer some suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Welcome! Just so you know, road cycling is pretty equipment intensive. What I mean by that is that even if you pickup a used road bike, there's still helmet, special pedals and shoes, shorts/clothing (performance/comfort related, not just to look cool), glasses, gloves, tires/tubes/pumps, water bottles, etc. Not trying to scare you off but there probably aren't a lot of people who could say they were "into" road cycling who hadn't spent a chunk of change gearing up for it -- just so you know what you're in for as opposed to say...... jogging.

My first suggestion is to go to a local bike store and learn about some of the features and options of modern road bikes. Even if you're planning to buy used you'll still need to know how bikes are sized, what the different components do and cost, etc. so that you can identify a used bike that meets your needs. Try to find a time when the store isn't terribly busy and if you tell them you're new they'll usually spend as much time as you need explaining things -- even if you buy used you're going to be back there having it serviced, getting accessories, etc. After that you'll be able to go on eBay or Craigslist with some knowledge of what you're looking at.

Then ask some more detailed questions here on this vs. that and you should get lots of helpful recommendations from folks who been around for a mile or two. Good luck! :)

Well if u r looking to shave some weight off without spending too much u r better off joggin like the guy above suggested, or use a moutain bike. They are much heavier and take more energy to go. Plus a 300 ish mtb is good enough for regular riding. And u dun need as many dedicated gear. an entry level road bike start around 700 unless u buy online from crappy brands

Hi,
You want to improve your health and good health is priceless, if you're going to get into cycling, and you should because it's the most enjuoyable way to get fit (in my humble opinion) then be prepared to spend a little money. Look for a decent road bike that you are comfortable with in your price range. If you see a better bike that's a little pricier then I'd buy it.
Look at it this way once you have forked out the initial expense for the bike and gear there's nothing else to pay apart from maintenance. Cycling gear doesn't have to be expensive and you don't need a super racing bike just a good road bike.
Cycling's like anything else, you can go mad and buy the best of everything and spend thousands or you can shop around and make buying decisions on your own needs not because something is supposed to be the best.
I look at plenty of bikes that cost £2000.00, I love looking at them but I won't buy one because I don't need one.
You're making the right choice to improve your fitness by taking up cyclng. you won't regret it. Good Luck

Decca