Just what is it about lycra?!?

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Read the title above, ok, what's the deal with some people getting all awkward about lycra?

It's not just non-riders, the same irrational guff seems to get parroted by fellow cyclists as well.

Just what is it? Intolerance? Awkwardness? Jealousy? Some bizarro class-consciousness thing? Misdirected Aussie poofta radar? :confused:

Asymmetrical lumpy bits.

cfsmtb said:
Just what is it? Intolerance? Awkwardness? Jealousy? Some bizarro class-consciousness thing? Misdirected Aussie poofta radar? :confused:
I had someone tell me a few weeks back that wearing lycra is 'the ultimate bogan gauge'. I nearly fell off my chair laughing, given that the same girl was earlier telling all about her boyfriends 'beautiful car' - a Falcon XR6. Same girl talks like a fscking nitwit on the phone and gets the whole wannabe corporate sl*tty lisp going.

"Yeth juth a moyment, I'll see if Misther X is avaoilible for you".

I dunno what it is. I tell everyone it's quite erotic to wear. Maybe that's why people get uncomfortable?

cfsmtb said:
Read the title above, ok, what's the deal with some people getting all awkward about lycra?

It's not just non-riders, the same irrational guff seems to get parroted by fellow cyclists as well.

Just what is it? Intolerance? Awkwardness? Jealousy? Some bizarro class-consciousness thing? Misdirected Aussie poofta radar? :confused:
Probably a combination of poor self image, ignorance, and/or the sighting of someone who's bulging out of their lycra. Sure, it's highly suitable cycle-wear, but it does nothing attractive for those grossly overweight :eek:

LotteBum said:
I dunno what it is. I tell everyone it's quite erotic to wear. Maybe that's why people get uncomfortable?

Last evening I spend a good 20 minutes or more "reading" the new Assos summer catalogue. Only meant to have a quick squiz. ie: that young chap they're using for modelling the gear is seriously Hot.

cfsmtb said:
Last evening I spend a good 20 minutes or more "reading" the new Assos summer catalogue. Only meant to have a quick squiz. ie: that young chap they're using for modelling the gear is seriously Hot.
Where can I get a copy!?!

That's one of the many great things about being incredibly slow. You tend to get passed quite a bit and there are some seriously cute bums out there!

cfsmtb wrote:
> Read the title above, ok, what's the deal with some people getting all
> awkward about lycra?
>
> It's not just non-riders, the same irrational guff seems to get
> parroted by fellow cyclists as well.
>
> Just what is it? Intolerance? Awkwardness? Jealousy? Some bizarro
> class-consciousness thing? Misdirected Aussie poofta radar? :confused:
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Come on, come out and say it?

The rabid anti lycra crowd are afraid that they have teh ghey when they
see a fit body in lycra and they like it.

Lycra is yet another reason that we have to encourage womens cycling!

PiledHigher said:
Come on, come out and say it?

The rabid anti lycra crowd are afraid that they have teh ghey when they
see a fit body in lycra and they like it.

Ah huh - the end times are now upon us. We can't have blokes showing their appreciation of other blokes with displays of wolf-whistling & rampant manlove in the streets!

cfsmtb wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
> >
> > Come on, come out and say it?
> >
> > The rabid anti lycra crowd are afraid that they have teh ghey when
> > they
> > see a fit body in lycra and they like it.

> Ah huh - the end times are now upon us. We can't have blokes showing
> their appreciation of other blokes with displays of wolf-whistling &
> rampant manlove in the streets!
>

> --
> cfsmtb

It seems that was the sentiment of the anti womens cycling crowd, no
women allowed!

The Women's Rescue League met recently at Washington and launched a
double-shotted anathema at the female bike fiend. The Leaguers
attribute to the bicycle craze "the alarming increase" in the number of
courtesans, and call upon ministers and respectable women everywhere to
denounce cycling by the sex as "vulgar and indecent." Nor do they stop
there. The bike, in their opinion, is irremediably bad. While
destroying the morals of the maid, it wreeks the prospective motherhood
of the matron. It is provocative of diseases peculiar to women, and
calculated to transform the sex into a grand army of invalids. These
are a few of the reasons why the Women's Rescue League is scattering
tacks in the pathway of the pneumatic tire. There are others.

http://www.worldwideschool.com/libr...ommentary/BrannTheIconoclastVol-1/chap42.html

cfsmtb wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
> >
> > Come on, come out and say it?
> >
> > The rabid anti lycra crowd are afraid that they have teh ghey when
> > they
> > see a fit body in lycra and they like it.

> Ah huh - the end times are now upon us. We can't have blokes showing
> their appreciation of other blokes with displays of wolf-whistling &
> rampant manlove in the streets!
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Not the goose riding the paceline in front of me on Sunday. He had some
of those awful knicks with a small mesh panel at the top of his
bumcrack. So wrong! I had to drop back and let his buddy in front of
me. What are these people thinking?

Donga

"PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> cfsmtb wrote:
>> Read the title above, ok, what's the deal with some people getting all
>> awkward about lycra?
>>
>> It's not just non-riders, the same irrational guff seems to get
>> parroted by fellow cyclists as well.
>>
>> Just what is it? Intolerance? Awkwardness? Jealousy? Some bizarro
>> class-consciousness thing? Misdirected Aussie poofta radar? :confused:
>>

>> --
>> cfsmtb

There is a subset of the cycling movement (you know who you are) that
wants cyclists to wear "ordinary gear" so we dont look different and
frighten people off riding a bike, or look too sports/race oriented rather
than using bikes for transport. They always point out that you dont see
much lycra in Amsterdam or Copenhagen. Ground Effect jerseys and MTB
shorts are sortof ok though because they arent covered in adds or sporty
colours and look utilitarian, while still conveying a certain difference.

The only thing I ask of a bloke in lycra nicks is to get a new pair of nicks
when they start to bag and/or become transparent.

fb in a nice southerly in sydnee

Fractal wrote:
> "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > cfsmtb wrote:
> >> Read the title above, ok, what's the deal with some people getting all
> >> awkward about lycra?
> >>
> >> It's not just non-riders, the same irrational guff seems to get
> >> parroted by fellow cyclists as well.
> >>
> >> Just what is it? Intolerance? Awkwardness? Jealousy? Some bizarro
> >> class-consciousness thing? Misdirected Aussie poofta radar? :confused:
> >>

> >> --
> >> cfsmtb

> There is a subset of the cycling movement (you know who you are) that
> wants cyclists to wear "ordinary gear" so we dont look different and
> frighten people off riding a bike, or look too sports/race oriented rather
> than using bikes for transport. They always point out that you dont see
> much lycra in Amsterdam or Copenhagen. Ground Effect jerseys and MTB
> shorts are sortof ok though because they arent covered in adds or sporty
> colours and look utilitarian, while still conveying a certain difference.
>
> The only thing I ask of a bloke in lycra nicks is to get a new pair of nicks
> when they start to bag and/or become transparent.
>
> fb in a nice southerly in sydnee

What the, that's not how they do it in Amsterdam crowd don't look at
are the distances and the density, 12k's to to CBD makes me an inner
suburb of Melbourne, its not a ride to work in a suit distance.

Lycra halves the time of commuting (vs riding in a suit), and hopefully
you were going to have a shower before you came to work anyway, you are
not English are you?

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:12:33 +1100, cfsmtb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Read the title above, ok, what's the deal with some people getting all
>awkward about lycra?
>
>It's not just non-riders, the same irrational guff seems to get
>parroted by fellow cyclists as well.
>
>Just what is it? Intolerance? Awkwardness? Jealousy? Some bizarro
>class-consciousness thing? Misdirected Aussie poofta radar? :confused:

Ignorance.

Never assume malice where ignorance is an alternative explanation.

--
Regards.
Richard.

PiledHigher said:
[...]

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:05:20 +1100, LotteBum
<[email protected]> wrote:

>cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Last evening I spend a good 20 minutes or more "reading" the new Assos
>> summer catalogue. Only meant to have a quick squiz. ie: that young chap
>> they're using for modelling the gear is seriously Hot.

>Where can I get a copy!?!
>
>That's one of the many great things about being incredibly slow. You
>tend to get passed quite a bit and there are some seriously cute bums
>out there!

Better to keep up with them and prolong the moment :)

There are some very callipygous women riding bikes. Ah yes.
--
Regards.
Richard.

Fractal said:
"PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> cfsmtb wrote:
>> Read the title above, ok, what's the deal with some people getting all
>> awkward about lycra?

Ground Effect jerseys and MTB
shorts are sortof ok though because they arent covered in adds or sporty
colours and look utilitarian, while still conveying a certain difference.

fb in a nice southerly in sydnee
I must say I strongly favour the Ground Effect stuff, I don't like paying premium prices for clothing covered in adverts for stuff I don't use. Can't stand baggy shorts though ... can't see why anyone would wear them for cycling.

http://www.anvari.org/fun/Gender/Why_Bicycles_Are_Better_Than_Women.html

"PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What the, that's not how they do it in Amsterdam crowd don't look at
> are the distances and the density, 12k's to to CBD makes me an inner
> suburb of Melbourne, its not a ride to work in a suit distance.
>
> Lycra halves the time of commuting (vs riding in a suit), and hopefully
> you were going to have a shower before you came to work anyway, you are
> not English are you?

Nah Im just reporting what some cyclists think. Could write a book on
subcultures and thier cycling clothes- you know the long sleeves and beanie
BMX crowd, the cafe racer and lycra crowd, fairdinkum racers who were born
in lycra, the crunchy granola save the planet Tshirt'n jeans crowd, the BUG
crowd (Ground Effect, Spring Cycle jersey), the old blokes with grey beards
and a bush hat and a pair of Bunyip panniers touring crowd, young dudes in
baggys, women in long skirts and a sun hat - theres one I see in Pyrmont
occasionally.

fb in sidenee

Duracell Bunny wrote:

> Fractal Wrote:
>> "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> all

>> Ground Effect jerseys and MTB
>> shorts are sortof ok though because they arent covered in adds or
>> sporty
>> colours and look utilitarian, while still conveying a certain
>> difference.
>>
>> fb in a nice southerly in sydneeI must say I strongly favour the Ground
>> Effect stuff, I don't like

> paying premium prices for clothing covered in adverts for stuff I
> don't use. Can't stand baggy shorts though ... can't see why anyone
> would wear them for cycling.

I wear baggy MTB-style shorts when commuting, and find they are fine.
Comfortable and less conspicuous, the baggy shorts are not too out of place
at the local park, shopping, or just walking around. I would definitely
consider getting standard lycra gear for longer distances, or for speed if
that were an issue.

Cheers,

Vince

'Camouflaged'

Fractal wrote:
> "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> cfsmtb wrote:
>>> Read the title above, ok, what's the deal with some people getting all
>>> awkward about lycra?
>>>
>>> It's not just non-riders, the same irrational guff seems to get
>>> parroted by fellow cyclists as well.
>>>
>>> Just what is it? Intolerance? Awkwardness? Jealousy? Some bizarro
>>> class-consciousness thing? Misdirected Aussie poofta radar? :confused:
>>>

>>> --
>>> cfsmtb

> There is a subset of the cycling movement (you know who you are) that
> wants cyclists to wear "ordinary gear" so we dont look different and
> frighten people off riding a bike, or look too sports/race oriented rather
> than using bikes for transport. They always point out that you dont see
> much lycra in Amsterdam or Copenhagen. Ground Effect jerseys and MTB
> shorts are sortof ok though because they arent covered in adds or sporty
> colours and look utilitarian, while still conveying a certain difference.
>
> The only thing I ask of a bloke in lycra nicks is to get a new pair of nicks
> when they start to bag and/or become transparent.
>
> fb in a nice southerly in sydnee

AussieBob Barnes got told last week that he needed new nicks but he's
reluctant to throw them put because they're his favorite ones.

Friday