Just what is it about lycra?!?

PiledHigher wrote:

> The rabid anti lycra crowd are afraid that they have teh ghey when
> they see a fit body in lycra and they like it.

Err, yes I suppose whatever you said.

Theo

Donga wrote:

> Not the goose riding the paceline in front of me on Sunday. He had some
> of those awful knicks with a small mesh panel at the top of his
> bumcrack. So wrong! I had to drop back and let his buddy in front of
> me. What are these people thinking?

You've seen him as well??!! There cant be more than one.

Parbs - who was confronted by such a sight on the 'Gong ride

"Fractal" wrote:

> Nah Im just reporting what some cyclists think. Could write a book on
> subcultures and thier cycling clothes- you know the long sleeves and
> beanie BMX crowd, the cafe racer and lycra crowd, fairdinkum racers who
> were born in lycra, the crunchy granola save the planet Tshirt'n jeans
> crowd, the BUG crowd (Ground Effect, Spring Cycle jersey), the old blokes
> with grey beards and a bush hat and a pair of Bunyip panniers touring
> crowd, young dudes in baggys, women in long skirts and a sun hat - theres
> one I see in Pyrmont occasionally.

Hmmm. But what about those of us who have elements of all of these
sub-cultures? Are we the true multiculturals?

Not averse to using long sleeves and a beanie at times, while wearing lycra
even, I've been wearing lycra since it first came in (late 70s - even used
the old wool knicks before that), but love the Ground Effect gear for its
good design and clean look without trade ****. I like to tour, have a beard
and had Bunyips (now Ortlieb are the standard to aim for), and when
travelling in the bush will wear a bush hat (around camp, not while
cycling). Women in skirts is the only cycling culture that I don't fit into.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Parbs said:
You've seen him as well??!! There cant be more than one.

Parbs - who was confronted by such a sight on the 'Gong ride

This calls for updated bunch skills, ie: "arsecrack back"

cfsmtb wrote:
> Parbs Wrote:
> >
> > You've seen him as well??!! There cant be more than one.
> >
> > Parbs - who was confronted by such a sight on the 'Gong ride

> This calls for updated bunch skills, ie: "arsecrack back"
>

> --
> cfsmtb

"Bums up!"
.... or when you come next to him: "So, you're a plumber then?"

Donga

I once got informed by an attractive young lass riding past me that my knicks were 'getting a bit see-through'... hmm... embarassment much? :eek: Of course, not being one to bend over in front of the mirror and check out the wear of my knicks I wasn't aware of that until then, so quickly went and purchased a few new pairs!

But back on topic, I wonder whether it's just ignorance amongst the non-cycling community that sparks this. After all, no one would expect joggers to wear boots or work shoes, because we all know the value in proper footwear. And while we wouldn't expect someone to slip on the Nikes for a short walk down to the shops, for a proper walk or jog we have no issue with it. Once people are aware of the general benefits of lycra, and that it's not just for looks, they should hopefully shut up about it.

The rest I guess is jealousy that some of us can get away with wearing lycra, or perhaps a negative reaction to the cafe ****** crowd with matching bikes, knicks and jerseys.... And as for picking on flabby ppl wearing lycra, well, why should they have to cover up and be less comfortable just for my inability to avoid nitpicking or looking the other way if it so offends me?? I'd rather see a chubby someone on a bike and getting fit in lycra, then wearing a cover-all frock in the car next to me....

Duracell Bunny said:
<snippage>
Can't stand baggy shorts though ... can't see why anyone would wear them for cycling.

On a short commute in warm weather baggy shorts are the go. No need for knicks & you get a cooling breeze up the leg........ :)

Lycra on the road.

On the MTB it is whatever is in the top of the draw. :D If it is a XC ride I generally grab my N-ZO Cycling shorts (very comfy).

cfsmtb said:
Last evening I spend a good 20 minutes or more "reading" the new Assos summer catalogue. Only meant to have a quick squiz. ie: that young chap they're using for modelling the gear is seriously Hot.

Surely you don't mean "AssoMan"(tm) the guy they've been using in assos ads for ages??? Dressed up in the yellow hood and bodysuit in a really stupid action pose? He reminds me of Ben Stiller in Zoolander!!!!

I thought the woman they used to use was pretty hot though...

Adam

adam85 said:
Surely you don't mean "AssoMan"(tm) the guy they've been using in assos ads for ages??? Dressed up in the yellow hood and bodysuit in a really stupid action pose? He reminds me of Ben Stiller in Zoolander!!!!

I thought the woman they used to use was pretty hot though...

Ah I think he's *cute*.

Don't know if female model in the catalogue is the same you're thinking of, she's a nice enough lass but could do with a few bowls of pasta.
:eek:

cfsmtb said:
Ah I think he's *cute*.

Don't know if female model in the catalogue is the same you're thinking of, she's a nice enough lass but could do with a few bowls of pasta.
:eek:

Ugh, no, Assos man just doesn't do it for me.

And as for the current female model, I reckon if you hugged her you'd end up with abdominal stab wounds from those hip bones!

D'ya reckon either of them has recently ridden a bike? :D

matagi said:
Ugh, no, Assos man just doesn't do it for me.

And as for the current female model, I reckon if you hugged her you'd end up with abdominal stab wounds from those hip bones!

D'ya reckon either of them has recently ridden a bike? :D
pfffffffft... no! models dont ride bikes, thats like, so dirty!! anyway, what if they fall and ruin that manicure? or get a scratch or bruise? that would get all like, puffed up and ugly and stuff...

Asterope (known enough models in her short time on this planet, and thinks the assos guy looks like zoolander without the hair, whilst the assos girl is pointy)

A quick trip down memory lane here ... going back to the 2000 Bicycling Australia Show I recall there was a "modelling session" of cycling gear up on a "catwalk".

The gurls were attired in noice ladies cycling gear - with matching court shoes. Oh did I laff and laff.

At this years show there was a stand with scantily clad booth chicks. I suppose blokes pay more attention to such matters.

cfsmtb said:
At this years show there was a stand with scantily clad booth chicks. I suppose blokes pay more attention to such matters.

*Sigh* I'd pay attention if they had some scantily clad males with nice chests, but does anyone ever think of us poor girls - no!

matagi wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
> > Ah I think he's *cute*.
> >
> > Don't know if female model in the catalogue is the same you're thinking
> > of, she's a nice enough lass but could do with a few bowls of pasta.
> > :eek:

> Ugh, no, Assos man just doesn't do it for me.
>
> And as for the current female model, I reckon if you hugged her you'd
> end up with abdominal stab wounds from those hip bones!
>
> D'ya reckon either of them has recently ridden a bike? :D
>

> --
> matagi

I look the other way as soon as I see the name "Assos" - the price tag
is so UGLY.

Donga

asterope said:
pfffffffft... no! models dont ride bikes, thats like, so dirty!! anyway, what if they fall and ruin that manicure? or get a scratch or bruise? that would get all like, puffed up and ugly and stuff...

Asterope (known enough models in her short time on this planet, and thinks the assos guy looks like zoolander without the hair, whilst the assos girl is pointy)

I see they've changed the site now and gone all supermario/metro with casual gear. $109 for a towel? WTF?

Adam

cfsmtb said:
At this years show there was a stand with scantily clad booth chicks. I suppose blokes pay more attention to such matters.
That would no doubt have been the Dirt Works stand, am I right?

Lotte (now trying to wipe vivid memories of my days with Dirt Works from my mind)

LotteBum said:
That would no doubt have been the Dirt Works stand, am I right?

Lotte (now trying to wipe vivid memories of my days with Dirt Works from my mind)

Nah it was some weirdarse credit thing, ie: get your bike now, pay later. Despite the flashing lights, techie stuff and babes, I didn't pay much attention. Had more exciting/important things to oversee during the weekend.

adam85 said:
I see they've changed the site now and gone all supermario/metro with casual gear. $109 for a towel? WTF?

Adam
must be one of those super-absorbent nano-fiber folds-up-to-a-1cm-cube towels.

or perhaps its got nutrients soaked into it? and anti-depressants on one corner for when you have been sucking on the other corners?

after all, everyone knows hoopy froods always know where their towels are, i just dont know whether they would pay $109 for the uber-deluxe version.

Asterope (always knows where her towel is)