Just what is it about lycra?!?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    PiledHigher wrote:

    > The rabid anti lycra crowd are afraid that they have teh ghey when
    > they see a fit body in lycra and they like it.

    Err, yes I suppose whatever you said.

    Theo

  2. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Donga wrote:

    > Not the goose riding the paceline in front of me on Sunday. He had some
    > of those awful knicks with a small mesh panel at the top of his
    > bumcrack. So wrong! I had to drop back and let his buddy in front of
    > me. What are these people thinking?

    You've seen him as well??!! There cant be more than one.

    Parbs - who was confronted by such a sight on the 'Gong ride

  3. "Fractal" wrote:

    > Nah Im just reporting what some cyclists think. Could write a book on
    > subcultures and thier cycling clothes- you know the long sleeves and
    > beanie BMX crowd, the cafe racer and lycra crowd, fairdinkum racers who
    > were born in lycra, the crunchy granola save the planet Tshirt'n jeans
    > crowd, the BUG crowd (Ground Effect, Spring Cycle jersey), the old blokes
    > with grey beards and a bush hat and a pair of Bunyip panniers touring
    > crowd, young dudes in baggys, women in long skirts and a sun hat - theres
    > one I see in Pyrmont occasionally.

    Hmmm. But what about those of us who have elements of all of these
    sub-cultures? Are we the true multiculturals?

    Not averse to using long sleeves and a beanie at times, while wearing lycra
    even, I've been wearing lycra since it first came in (late 70s - even used
    the old wool knicks before that), but love the Ground Effect gear for its
    good design and clean look without trade crap. I like to tour, have a beard
    and had Bunyips (now Ortlieb are the standard to aim for), and when
    travelling in the bush will wear a bush hat (around camp, not while
    cycling). Women in skirts is the only cycling culture that I don't fit into.

    --
    Cheers
    Peter

    ~~~ ~ [email protected]
    ~~ ~ _- \,
    ~~ (*)/ (*)

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    This calls for updated bunch skills, ie: "arsecrack back"

  5. Ray

    Ray Guest

  6. Donga

    Donga Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Parbs Wrote:
    > >
    > > You've seen him as well??!! There cant be more than one.
    > >
    > > Parbs - who was confronted by such a sight on the 'Gong ride

    > This calls for updated bunch skills, ie: "arsecrack back"
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    "Bums up!"
    .... or when you come next to him: "So, you're a plumber then?"

    Donga

  7. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    I once got informed by an attractive young lass riding past me that my knicks were 'getting a bit see-through'... hmm... embarassment much? :eek: Of course, not being one to bend over in front of the mirror and check out the wear of my knicks I wasn't aware of that until then, so quickly went and purchased a few new pairs!

    But back on topic, I wonder whether it's just ignorance amongst the non-cycling community that sparks this. After all, no one would expect joggers to wear boots or work shoes, because we all know the value in proper footwear. And while we wouldn't expect someone to slip on the Nikes for a short walk down to the shops, for a proper walk or jog we have no issue with it. Once people are aware of the general benefits of lycra, and that it's not just for looks, they should hopefully shut up about it.

    The rest I guess is jealousy that some of us can get away with wearing lycra, or perhaps a negative reaction to the cafe wanker crowd with matching bikes, knicks and jerseys.... And as for picking on flabby ppl wearing lycra, well, why should they have to cover up and be less comfortable just for my inability to avoid nitpicking or looking the other way if it so offends me?? I'd rather see a chubby someone on a bike and getting fit in lycra, then wearing a cover-all frock in the car next to me....

  8. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    On a short commute in warm weather baggy shorts are the go. No need for knicks & you get a cooling breeze up the leg........ :)

  9. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    Lycra on the road.

    On the MTB it is whatever is in the top of the draw. :D If it is a XC ride I generally grab my N-ZO Cycling shorts (very comfy).

  10. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Surely you don't mean "AssoMan"(tm) the guy they've been using in assos ads for ages??? Dressed up in the yellow hood and bodysuit in a really stupid action pose? He reminds me of Ben Stiller in Zoolander!!!!

    I thought the woman they used to use was pretty hot though...

    Adam

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Ah I think he's *cute*.

    Don't know if female model in the catalogue is the same you're thinking of, she's a nice enough lass but could do with a few bowls of pasta.
    :eek:

  12. matagi

    matagi Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Messages:
    8,218
    Ugh, no, Assos man just doesn't do it for me.

    And as for the current female model, I reckon if you hugged her you'd end up with abdominal stab wounds from those hip bones!

    D'ya reckon either of them has recently ridden a bike? :D

  13. asterope

    asterope New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    pfffffffft... no! models dont ride bikes, thats like, so dirty!! anyway, what if they fall and ruin that manicure? or get a scratch or bruise? that would get all like, puffed up and ugly and stuff...

    Asterope (known enough models in her short time on this planet, and thinks the assos guy looks like zoolander without the hair, whilst the assos girl is pointy)

  14. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    A quick trip down memory lane here ... going back to the 2000 Bicycling Australia Show I recall there was a "modelling session" of cycling gear up on a "catwalk".

    The gurls were attired in noice ladies cycling gear - with matching court shoes. Oh did I laff and laff.

    At this years show there was a stand with scantily clad booth chicks. I suppose blokes pay more attention to such matters.

  15. matagi

    matagi Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Messages:
    8,218
    *Sigh* I'd pay attention if they had some scantily clad males with nice chests, but does anyone ever think of us poor girls - no!

  16. Donga

    Donga Guest

    matagi wrote:
    > cfsmtb Wrote:
    > > Ah I think he's *cute*.
    > >
    > > Don't know if female model in the catalogue is the same you're thinking
    > > of, she's a nice enough lass but could do with a few bowls of pasta.
    > > :eek:

    > Ugh, no, Assos man just doesn't do it for me.
    >
    > And as for the current female model, I reckon if you hugged her you'd
    > end up with abdominal stab wounds from those hip bones!
    >
    > D'ya reckon either of them has recently ridden a bike? :D
    >

    > --
    > matagi

    I look the other way as soon as I see the name "Assos" - the price tag
    is so UGLY.

    Donga

  17. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    I see they've changed the site now and gone all supermario/metro with casual gear. $109 for a towel? WTF?

    Adam

  18. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    That would no doubt have been the Dirt Works stand, am I right?

    Lotte (now trying to wipe vivid memories of my days with Dirt Works from my mind)

  19. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Nah it was some weirdarse credit thing, ie: get your bike now, pay later. Despite the flashing lights, techie stuff and babes, I didn't pay much attention. Had more exciting/important things to oversee during the weekend.

  20. asterope

    asterope New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    must be one of those super-absorbent nano-fiber folds-up-to-a-1cm-cube towels.

    or perhaps its got nutrients soaked into it? and anti-depressants on one corner for when you have been sucking on the other corners?

    after all, everyone knows hoopy froods always know where their towels are, i just dont know whether they would pay $109 for the uber-deluxe version.

    Asterope (always knows where her towel is)