Just when you thought it couldn't get any better....

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
As a bizarre continuation from the http://www.cyclingforums.com/t461656.html thread and discovering exhaust leaks in the car..

I normally train in my garage, enjoying the close-up scenic views of a wall, water heater and a furnace (central air/heat pump). Well, we had the furnace cleaned a couple of days ago and as part of the inspection it failed on the carbon monoxide test (detector placed at base of unit.) Upon inspection of the pipe work it's been like this for a long, long time.... To verify that the company that cleaned it wasn't trying to rake us over the coals and squeeze our wallets dry we got the local utility company in for a free check. It didn't just "kinda" fail - it was pretty much instantly condemend by the local gas company, its gas supply turned off and a notice that this unit is hazzardous to health and should not be used under any circumstance. The unit is on a riser of ~2.5ft right next to where I train.

So, the deathtrap "exhaust leaking" Miata didn't get me and now the furnace failed to finish me off... What next? Will my Sapim CX-Ray spokes actually be seen on an x-ray.. (see x ray?) stuck in my hiney?

swampy1970 said:
As a bizarre continuation from the http://www.cyclingforums.com/t461656.html thread and discovering exhaust leaks in the car..

I normally train in my garage, enjoying the close-up scenic views of a wall, water heater and a furnace (central air/heat pump). Well, we had the furnace cleaned a couple of days ago and as part of the inspection it failed on the carbon monoxide test (detector placed at base of unit.) Upon inspection of the pipe work it's been like this for a long, long time.... To verify that the company that cleaned it wasn't trying to rake us over the coals and squeeze our wallets dry we got the local utility company in for a free check. It didn't just "kinda" fail - it was pretty much instantly condemend by the local gas company, its gas supply turned off and a notice that this unit is hazzardous to health and should not be used under any circumstance. The unit is on a riser of ~2.5ft right next to where I train.

So, the deathtrap "exhaust leaking" Miata didn't get me and now the furnace failed to finish me off... What next? Will my Sapim CX-Ray spokes actually be seen on an x-ray.. (see x ray?) stuck in my hiney?
Do you have a granite countertop in your kitchen? Did you check Radon levels in your home? :D

Piotr said:
Do you have a granite countertop in your kitchen? Did you check Radon levels in your home? :D
No granite for me... I want some of that DuPont stuff that's temp resistant to 500F and won't chip if I drop heavy things with sharp edges on it - like if I mystically (ie drunkenly) start cleaning a bike, sans wheels, on the kitchen counter and it falls and lands on the chainrings.... whoops - chip!

The radon levels were checked 7 years ago when we bought the house. It was only a small extra fee at the time... :p