Just wondering...

Eldron

Jan 24, 2002
Doesn'y anybody have anything nice to say about cycling any more?

Reading this forum is like reading the front page of a newspaper - if it bleeds it leads.

Yegads people - we love this sport. Don't we have anything other than doping to discuss? Sure it's a relevant topic right now but holy canalony I just want to slit my wrists when I've been logged on for a few minutes.

Eldron said:
Doesn'y anybody have anything nice to say about cycling any more?

Reading this forum is like reading the front page of a newspaper - if it bleeds it leads.

Yegads people - we love this sport. Don't we have anything other than doping to discuss? Sure it's a relevant topic right now but holy canalony I just want to slit my wrists when I've been logged on for a few minutes.

I'm enjoying the Giro!
How about that???

I've read quite a few of the Giro threads and there is a lot of positive (excuse the pun) views expressed.
I agree that there are a lot of negative views expressed too : but it's not all one way traffic (IMO).

Yeah what he said..... ^^^^^
Plenty of positive stuff. You just have to see that the glass is half full...

@lim - indeed! I loved the uphill time trial. Call me nostalgic but there is something "traditional" about riding road bikes on dirt roads. I also (sadistically) enjoyed watching the pros suffer to a 19km/h average! Much more emotional than watching them climbing mountains like machines. It was awesome watching them have to get out of the saddle to turn the gear over and Ricco's back wheel spinning. Brilliant stuff.

@cone - agreed. Dirty underbelly aside - cycling rocks!

Eldron said:
@lim - indeed! I loved the uphill time trial. Call me nostalgic but there is something "traditional" about riding road bikes on dirt roads. I also (sadistically) enjoyed watching the pros suffer to a 19km/h average! Much more emotional than watching them climbing mountains like machines. It was awesome watching them have to get out of the saddle to turn the gear over and Ricco's back wheel spinning. Brilliant stuff.

@cone - agreed. Dirty underbelly aside - cycling rocks!

I agree - ITT was great viewing.
Ricco's backwheel ! Excellent point.
DiLuca pushing as hard as he could in that ITT.
Sella, Menchov all struggling with a very different parcours.

Always enjoy watching the Giro : RCS do come up with an interesting race each year : lots of different things happening, beautiful scenic routes.
For me the riders of this years Giro have been Sella, for his superb climbing and Cavendish for his sprinting.
And I like DiLuca - the mans a fighter.

limerickman said:
I agree - ITT was great viewing.
Ricco's backwheel ! Excellent point.
DiLuca pushing as hard as he could in that ITT.
Sella, Menchov all struggling with a very different parcours.

Always enjoy watching the Giro : RCS do come up with an interesting race each year : lots of different things happening, beautiful scenic routes.
For me the riders of this years Giro have been Sella, for his superb climbing and Cavendish for his sprinting.
And I like DiLuca - the mans a fighter.
I generally prefer the Giro to the Tour. There is usually no formula to it which makes it more susceptible to changes occurring in the race. With the tour it is always the same. Three weeks. First week is flat. Other two weeks in the mountains. Not enough in between days to shake things up.

I have to agree, the Giro route is almost always more interesting than the tour (well, the 2004 route wasn't exactly spectacular but then the tour was boring that year as well). Some of the riders are claiming that the organisers tried too hard to make it 'interesting' this year though...

This years Giro, well, the top 15 are within 9 minutes or so of each other, that always keeps things exciting in the these last 3 critical stages.

"Dirty underbelly aside - cycling rocks!"

I think the dirty underside, or at least it's public exposure over the last decade, has made cycling quite interesting.

Unfortunately, on the other hand what it has done has made it impossible to know what is "real" and what is not.

Wayne666 said:
"Dirty underbelly aside - cycling rocks!"

I think the dirty underside, or at least it's public exposure over the last decade, has made cycling quite interesting.

Unfortunately, on the other hand what it has done has made it impossible to know what is "real" and what is not.

That is probably the saddest part - any "out of the ordinary" performance is now treated suspiciously. I'm beginning to think ignorant rand omantic bliss is preferable to tainted quasi truth.

Did I just say quasi tainted truth? Damn I'm beginning to sound like a conspiracy theorist!!!!!