Just wondering?

Fredzep

Guest
I have decided to replace the brake and shifter housings and cables on the mountain bike as they are
in rather sad shape.What I was wondering about were those plastic sleeves that some bikes have on
the bare cable between the guides.I actually have them on a less expensive rigid fork bike.It would
seem like a good idea to protect the paint.Do they defeat the pupose of having the cable bare or are
they just not cool or unnecessary. Would using them be the same as putting reflectors on? Is there a
valid reason why some bikes have them and others don,t? The bike does not have them and I didn't
plan on using them.I am just curious about this.

Thanks for any input. Fredzep

"Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have decided to replace the brake and shifter housings and cables on the mountain bike as they
> are in rather sad shape.What I was wondering about were those plastic sleeves that some bikes have
> on the bare cable between the guides.I actually have them on a less expensive rigid fork bike.It
> would seem like a good idea to protect the paint.Do they defeat the pupose of having the cable
> bare or are they just not cool or unnecessary. Would using them be the same as putting reflectors
> on? Is there a valid reason why some bikes have them and others don,t? The bike does not have them
> and I didn't plan on using them.I am just curious about this.
>
> Thanks for any input. Fredzep

Typically you'll find rubber or nylon 'donuts' that are slipped over the cables between cable stops.
If there is a long distance between cable stops on your bike, the donuts would help to keep the
cable from slapping the frame. Assuming you ride in rough terrain. Just an educated guess, maybe one
donut for every six inches of exposed cable.

Cameron wrote:

> Typically you'll find rubber or nylon 'donuts' that are slipped over the cables between cable
> stops. If there is a long distance between cable stops on your bike, the donuts would help to keep
> the cable from slapping the frame. Assuming you ride in rough terrain. Just an educated guess,
> maybe one donut for every six inches of exposed cable.

The trouble with the donuts is after the first few rides they all congregate at the rear of the
top tube. You can push them back up, but they migrate back down. I'm not sure they do much good
in the end.

"Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cameron wrote:
>
> > Typically you'll find rubber or nylon 'donuts' that are slipped over the cables between cable
> > stops. If there is a long distance between cable stops on your bike, the donuts would help to
> > keep the cable from slapping the frame. Assuming you ride in rough terrain. Just an educated
> > guess, maybe one donut for every six inches of exposed cable.
>
> The trouble with the donuts is after the first few rides they all congregate at the rear of the
> top tube. You can push them back up, but they migrate back down. I'm not sure they do much good in
> the end.

I noticed that, too. Maybe put 50 or 100 on? ;-) Or on an off day you could put a small dab of caulk
on the cable where the donut(s) sit to keep 'em in place. I might try that.

--
Cameron

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Cameron wrote:
> >
> > > Typically you'll find rubber or nylon 'donuts' that are slipped over
the cables
> > > between cable stops. If there is a long distance between cable stops
on your
> > > bike, the donuts would help to keep the cable from slapping the frame.
Assuming
> > > you ride in rough terrain. Just an educated guess, maybe one donut for
every six
> > > inches of exposed cable.
> >
> > The trouble with the donuts is after the first few rides they all
congregate at the rear
> > of the top tube. You can push them back up, but they migrate back down.
I'm not sure
> > they do much good in the end.
>
> I noticed that, too. Maybe put 50 or 100 on? ;-) Or on an off day you
could put a small
> dab of caulk on the cable where the donut(s) sit to keep 'em in place. I
might try that.

that may work, but the problem is then the "donut" will rub a lot more on the frame,

just typing a thought

"David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> the cables
> on your
> Assuming
> every six
> > >
> > > The trouble with the donuts is after the first few rides they all
> congregate at the rear
> > > of the top tube. You can push them back up, but they migrate back down.
> I'm not sure
> > > they do much good in the end.
> >
> > I noticed that, too. Maybe put 50 or 100 on? ;-) Or on an off day you
> could put a small
> > dab of caulk on the cable where the donut(s) sit to keep 'em in place. I
> might try that.
> >

> that may work, but the problem is then the "donut" will rub a lot more on the frame,
>
> just typing a thought

Couldn't be any worse than cable housing rubbing the head tube. Unsightly, to say the least.

--
Cameron

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > the cables
> > on your
> > Assuming
> > every six

> > congregate at the rear
> > I'm not sure
> > >
> > > I noticed that, too. Maybe put 50 or 100 on? ;-) Or on an off day you
> > could put a small
> > > dab of caulk on the cable where the donut(s) sit to keep 'em in place.
> > might try that.
> > >

> > that may work, but the problem is then the "donut" will rub a lot more
on
> > the frame,
> >
> > just typing a thought
> >

> Couldn't be any worse than cable housing rubbing the head tube. Unsightly,
> say the least.
>
> --
> Cameron

I have those donut things and they all ride to the back making them useless.They used to stay in
place much better when they were newer so I'll probably just replace them. I cross posted on another
ng and they explained the reason for the donuts over the sleeves is so that you could slide the
housings around for maintenance.

Fredzep

Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > that may work, but the problem is then the "donut" will rub a lot more
on
> > the frame,
> >
> > just typing a thought
> >

> Couldn't be any worse than cable housing rubbing the head tube. Unsightly,
> say the least.

Aye, but you can get these little clear sticky plastic things that you stick to the frame underneath
'em to stop that. As for me, well, I just been using the little clear sticky tabs off packets of
Golden Virginia tobaco ',;~}

Shaun aRe - You callin me tight fisted?....

> Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
>
> > > that may work, but the problem is then the "donut" will rub a lot more
> on
> > > the frame,
> > >
> > > just typing a thought
> > >

> > Couldn't be any worse than cable housing rubbing the head tube.
Unsightly,
> > say the least.
>
> Aye, but you can get these little clear sticky plastic things that you
stick
> to the frame underneath 'em to stop that. As for me, well, I just been
using
> the little clear sticky tabs off packets of Golden Virginia tobaco ',;~}

I got some clear vinyl from the local motorbike shop. It's specifically for covering petrol tanks
and fairings to stop scratches and unsightly stone chips. I wrapped the top tube and down tubes on
my bike when it was shiny new to stop major paint damage. I also put some appropriately shaped bits
where cables rub. But having said that, I just keep pushing the donuts back into place when I notice
that they've moved. A migrating 7mm black rubber donut is not a major issue in my book and not worth
agonising too much about. If it's paint damage that you're worried about, look at where cable
housings rub against the frame.

Westie

Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > on

> > > Couldn't be any worse than cable housing rubbing the head tube.
> Unsightly,
> > > say the least.
> >
> > Aye, but you can get these little clear sticky plastic things that you
> stick
> > to the frame underneath 'em to stop that. As for me, well, I just been
> using
> > the little clear sticky tabs off packets of Golden Virginia tobaco ',;~}
>
> I got some clear vinyl from the local motorbike shop. It's specifically
for
> covering petrol tanks and fairings to stop scratches and unsightly stone chips. I wrapped the top
> tube and down tubes on my bike when it was shiny new to stop major paint damage. I also put some
> appropriately shaped bits where cables rub. But having said that, I just keep pushing the donuts
back
> into place when I notice that they've moved. A migrating 7mm black rubber donut is not a major
> issue in my book and not worth agonising too much about. If it's paint damage that you're worried
> about, look at where
cable
> housings rub against the frame.
>
> Westie

I thought that's what I was talking about? Heh, I musta been wrong......

',;~}

Shaun aRe

> Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > news:[email protected]...

> more
> > > on

> > Unsightly,
> > >
> > > Aye, but you can get these little clear sticky plastic things that you
> > stick
> > > to the frame underneath 'em to stop that. As for me, well, I just been
> > using
> > > the little clear sticky tabs off packets of Golden Virginia tobaco
',;~}

> > I got some clear vinyl from the local motorbike shop. It's specifically
> for
> > covering petrol tanks and fairings to stop scratches and unsightly stone chips. I wrapped the
> > top tube and down tubes on my bike when it was
shiny
> > new to stop major paint damage. I also put some appropriately shaped
bits
> > where cables rub. But having said that, I just keep pushing the donuts
> back
> > into place when I notice that they've moved. A migrating 7mm black
rubber
> > donut is not a major issue in my book and not worth agonising too much about. If it's paint
> > damage that you're worried about, look at where
> cable
> > housings rub against the frame.
> >
> > Westie
>
> I thought that's what I was talking about? Heh, I musta been wrong......
>
> ',;~}
>
> Shaun aRe

Shaun, few of us understand anything that you're talking about. And I won't even risk taking a guess
to whether or not you know what you're talking about. ;-)

Westie

Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > I thought that's what I was talking about? Heh, I musta been wrong......
> >
> > ',;~}
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> Shaun, few of us understand anything that you're talking about. And I won't even risk taking a
> guess to whether or not you know what
you're
> talking about. ;-)

Aye, that's as maybe, most being stoopit, but I had you figured as one of the smarter folks
here ',;~P````

Shaun aRe