Justice For Sa Cyclists

HotLips

Jan 27, 2005
Wheels of Justice - the alliance of SA cyclists.

9.30am Saturday May 7th. Victoria Square City.

Following the verdict of a prominant SA Lawyer only recieving a $3100 fine and 12 month driving suspension for the death of a cyclist in 2003 a rally has been organised against this injustice. Support has been gathered from cycling clubs, associations, triathlon clubs and cycling orgainisations as well as politicians.

The plan is to assemble at Victoria Square at 9.30am on Saturday May 7th and then ride to Parliment house where each cyclist/bike rider will place a water bottle (with a message written on it to our politicans) on the steps of the parliment. - if you don't want to ride, feel free to meet us at parliment house.

Please spread the word.

Hi in Adelaide, Rooman from Melbourne, I can understand your feelings down there and support your ride on the 7th, but in addition to that have you considered also doing a Ride of Silence ?.

One of the most poignant things is to remember all cyclists killed and injured by motorists in a solemn memorial ride, not a protest, a memorial.

On May 18 we are having such a ride here in Melbourne at 7 pm on Beach Road, Black Rock to Mordy back to Cafe Racer.

The protocol is two abreast, no talking, just handsignals, no passing, slow pace max 20kph, wear black armbands, advise media, tell police, get expressions of support.

Do lots of ROS across Australia at the same time and we can gather much more impact and support and awareness to share the road than one - off protests, because it is considered, solemn and at the pace of a funeral procession, it makes impact on drivers, observers and if numbers are large enough and repeated in enough places it will be profound.

We will do it every year here...maybe you should add this to your ride schedule beyond May 7 and increase the impact of your vigil then.

It is not just in Australia, on the same day in the USA across 50 cities they will have there ROS too, see http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php for info and protocols.

Good luck to all on May 7 and my thoughts go to the McGee family and friends

Rob ( Rooman)

HotLips said:
Wheels of Justice - the alliance of SA cyclists.

9.30am Saturday May 7th. Victoria Square City.

Following the verdict of a prominant SA Lawyer only recieving a $3100 fine and 12 month driving suspension for the death of a cyclist in 2003 a rally has been organised against this injustice. Support has been gathered from cycling clubs, associations, triathlon clubs and cycling orgainisations as well as politicians.

The plan is to assemble at Victoria Square at 9.30am on Saturday May 7th and then ride to Parliment house where each cyclist/bike rider will place a water bottle (with a message written on it to our politicans) on the steps of the parliment. - if you don't want to ride, feel free to meet us at parliment house.

Please spread the word.

Hi all
In looking (lurking) at a lot of the stuff @ cycle2max and other sites, it seems that the a lot of the details of Saturdays memorial/protest/ride are still to be worked out, so I'm guessing that any input would be appreciated.
The thing is that the McGee/Humphries case has not only outraged and saddened the community of cyclists, but also the public at large. This is evident by listening to talkback radio (yeah, I know- one of my guilty pleasures) where, in the past 24 hours, it has pretty much been the only thing that people want to talk about. I'm a shift-worker, why else would I be sitting in front of a computer & listening to talk-back late on a fri night? ;-)
It would be good if it was a dignified memorial, with black arm bands etc, however, it is also an opportunity to harness massive support from the community, who, let's face facts here, usually don't care too much about "push-bike" riders and their faggoty lycra outfits. I mean they don't pay registration so they don't have the same rights? Sound familiar?
I would like to think that somehow the non-cycling public can also be included in the events of May 7.
See you there, hotlips and thanks for posting.

Hi HotLips. Sounds like a great rally being put on. I'd join you but, well... I'm on the other side of the globe. I'll offer my support in spirit. Why don't you fill the rest of us in on a few more of the details that led to this protest/rally?

Hi all, just posted this 'upstairs' on aus.bicycle/cf,

Melbourne Wheels of Justice
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t238214-melbourne-wheels-of-justice.html

Show support for Adelaides Wheels of Justice here in Melbourne. Next Saturday 7th May, 9.30pm start at Fed Square, cycle up to Parliament. Leave water bottles with messages for justice written on them upon the steps of Parliament, Spring Street. Folks on foot also most welcome!

Come and show your support for Ian Humphreys family and friends, and protest this appalling travesty of justice. Spread the word!

also,

List of media/politicians to contact/email: No Justice for cyclists in South Australia?
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t236709-no-justice-for-cyclists-in-south-australia.html

cheers ;)

CORRECTION-last line to Post#2- Roo

rooman said:
Hi in Adelaide, Rooman from Melbourne, I can understand your feelings down there and support your ride on the 7th, but in addition to that have you considered also doing a Ride of Silence ?.

One of the most poignant things is to remember all cyclists killed and injured by motorists in a solemn memorial ride, not a protest, a memorial.

On May 18 we are having such a ride here in Melbourne at 7 pm on Beach Road, Black Rock to Mordy back to Cafe Racer.

The protocol is two abreast, no talking, just handsignals, no passing, slow pace max 20kph, wear black armbands, advise media, tell police, get expressions of support.

Do lots of ROS across Australia at the same time and we can gather much more impact and support and awareness to share the road than one - off protests, because it is considered, solemn and at the pace of a funeral procession, it makes impact on drivers, observers and if numbers are large enough and repeated in enough places it will be profound.

We will do it every year here...maybe you should add this to your ride schedule beyond May 7 and increase the impact of your vigil then.

It is not just in Australia, on the same day in the USA across 50 cities they will have there ROS too, see http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php for info and protocols.

Good luck to all on May 7 and my thoughts go to the family of Ian Humphries and friends supporting this ride down there.

Rob ( Rooman)

Oh sod, I've got an correction to make as well:

Subtract 12 hours, please!

Should be nine thirty am, ie: in the morning.

Ok, so you don't require lights, please accept my humble apologies.... :(

Flyer for Melbourne Wheels of Justice support ride attached in PDF format,

(Note: attachment can't upload for some reason-send me a priv. message and I'll send the .pdf to you or see ride details at http://robbieroo.blogspot.com/)

please circulate, post, hand out, whatever, and to add some more impact remember the words Red,Black and Blue,

not just for our bruises but the colours of armbands to wear on the ride

Red armbands for injuries,
Black armbands for deaths,
Blue armbands for solidarity with Police for the deaths they have from hit&run too)

and bring water bottles with message for parliament from Wheels for Justice.

cheers all
safe courteous riding,

Roo
"There are no ordinary moments" Dan Millman, Way of the Peaceful Warrior

Wheels of Justice - the alliance of NSW cyclists!

9:30am Saturday May 7th. Sydney Hyde Park Fountain

Sydney cyclists will unite to express our outrage toward the petty fine and licence suspension Eugene McGee has received. The life of a cyclist, husband, and father-of-two is worth more than $3100! Murder is a crime!

The rally is still in it's early stages of organisation and so more information will be posted as it arises...

Spread the word!

Phuong
[email protected]

Well, surprise, I've commenced a new blog, Wheels of Justice.
http://bicyclejustice.blogspot.com/

I've kicked this off to assist in collating the vast amounts of information on the Eugene McGee case. As you would know, this Eugene McGee case has gone national. This morning I was considering creating a new blog as a reference point that lists all the news articles and discussions it has provoked.

The main reason why I was considering this is that most online news articles/editorials get archived after a while. And then you have to $$$ to access information that was recently on public record. Most of the McGee case can be found on my cfsmtb blog, but I think it would be beneficial for the wider debate to have something people can reference in future - even if the topic may seem to be ephemeral. As the South Australia & Victorian government is currently discussing the topic of hit-run drivers I think it would be beneficial to create an online presence.

After this three-coffee effort I'm completely stuffed. All I can ask of you, dear reader, is to help with promoting the Wheels of Justice Rides this weekend with every (relevant*) contact you know. Now get to it. (*no spamming ok!)

(*Oh, and invite the media too)

cfsmtb said:
Well, surprise, I've commenced a new blog, Wheels of Justice.
http://bicyclejustice.blogspot.com/

(*Oh, and invite the media too)
I had an interview with Ronan Sharkey for Radio TripleJ's "Hack" program, goes to air today Wed May4 at 5-30pm nationally and web broadcast....time may not permit all the discussion on air, but we wshould get impact from this to suppport more people attending the rides in SA, NSW and VIC on Sat.

Keep the momentum , people, we all have a stake in raising impetus to bring about legal and cultural change in motorists attitudes to cyclist and sharing the road.

Cheers all....see you Saturday in Melbourne

Roo

Well done. I listened in. Let's hope for a good turnout on saturday

Cipo

rooman said:
I had an interview with Ronan Sharkey for Radio TripleJ's "Hack" program, goes to air today Wed May4 at 5-30pm nationally and web broadcast....time may not permit all the discussion on air, but we wshould get impact from this to suppport more people attending the rides in SA, NSW and VIC on Sat.

Keep the momentum , people, we all have a stake in raising impetus to bring about legal and cultural change in motorists attitudes to cyclist and sharing the road.

Cheers all....see you Saturday in Melbourne

Roo

I listened too! It was... I don't know how to describe it... exciting... satisifying... relieving... to hear it on Triple J. I hope a whole lot of people out there were listening too so they can be educated on the injustice of the case and of treatment to cyclists in general.

Oh, and have you all heard that Brisbane will be holding a rally too?

Phuong L said:
Oh, and have you all heard that Brisbane will be holding a rally too?
I am happy to report that www.Cyclingnews.com has continued to give the Ian Humphries travesty of justice and the protest rides good coverage and today made announcements, firstly of the rides in Syd, Adelaid and Melb, then in next edition (after I wrote to them) they gave details of extending the ride site to 4 cities to now include Brisbane.

so Saturday May 7 at 9:30am

Adelaide from Victoria Square
Melbourne from Federation Square
Sydney from Hyde Park Fountain (The Archibald)
Brisbane from King George Square.

all rides to the local State Parliament House.

Bring water bottles with messages of your feelings in the injustice of the Humprhies case and the inadequacy of the law and motorists attitudes to cyclists.
Make sure someone writes down the messages from the bottles and they are kept to give to the Parliamentarian/s there at the time. If none turn up, keep the bottles safe and DO NOT put them in a garbage bag....an open mesh bag OK or in boxes , but treat these messages with respect.

We are awaiting Ian Humphrie's brother's message to be the basis of the press release at all sites on the day. very important that the Humphries family message is heard and echoed by us. So as soon as it is to hand it will be available for the city co-ordinators and will likely be published here too.
Copy it, give it out, read it aloud to the media, to those present.

Be polite, be courteous, dont answer people rudely if they criticise, just go ahead and deliver our protest and ask merely for respect and then show them the level of courtesy and dignity we as Australians expect to be shown to us by others.

Good Luck all, keep telling friends to come, keep writing to papers, to pollies, to radio and to community groups.

Oh, and finally today I had confirmation from BiCycle Victoria that they had/are in the process of posting notices on their web site www.bv.com.au for these rides and the Ride of Silence on 18th May here in Melbourne.

cheers everyone

Roo

I'm not actually a cyclist but joined this site today as Ian Humphrey was my Uncle, and it goes without saying that we are outraged at the way this case was handled and the outcome. It just goes to show that money and the right contacts can get you anywhere. In my own opinion I view McGee as almost a murderer, in his statement he said that He knew by the force of the impact that the victim would not survive. What sort of an animal would leave someone to die on the side of the road!! All McGee cared about was his career. Nothing is going to bring Ian back but it would be good to know that that DH gets what he deserves. McGee has showed no remorse whatsoever, he has hardly acknowledged that he KILLED a husband and father of two, he could not even bring himself to say sorry when confronted by my Aunty.
I'd like to see McGee confront Ians family, and look in the eyes of the two girls that because of him have to grow up without their adored father, and try and explain his actions to them!!
I was also wondering if any protests were being held in Brisbane? My Brother and I only found out they were being held today and would like to go to one. If you know anything, or someone I can contact to find out please email me at [email protected].
Thankyou!

tars36 said:
I was also wondering if any protests were being held in Brisbane? My Brother and I only found out they were being held today and would like to go to one. If you know anything, or someone I can contact to find out please email me at [email protected]
Thankyou!

Certainly is a Wheel of Justice ride for Brisbane:
Saturday 7th May. Brisbane cyclists are organising a Wheels of Justice Ride. It starts at 9.30 am on Saturday 7 May, moving from King George Square to Parliament House.

Wheels Of Justice: Adelaide - Brisbane - Melbourne - Sydney

If you are as concerned as we are that a cyclist's life is not worth much, and you would like to make a difference, then join us! Bring water bottles for self and friends to leave your messages for "Justice". Bring friends, wear armbands ( Red, Blue, Black)

Regarding the Wheels of Justice rides this coming Saturday, some people have mentioned they should be a "Silent" protest, as it is felt this will add a more significant impact in terms of imagery etc. Also as a mark of respect to those cyclists that have been killed on our roads. Tell your bike shop, tell your paper, tell your neighbors, to be there.

More information:
http://wheelsofjustice.com.au
http://bicyclejustice.blogspot.com

:) Many many thanks to everyone who rocked up to the Melbourne Ride. :)

And the Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney Wheels of Justice - any chance of a ride report or two?

I am absolutely stuffed after this week, after attempting to put this thing together in Melbourne with Rob (Melb), Rob (Adel) Carol, Dutch, Phuong et al.

Too many hours typing away at the blog, trying to keep track of the media, emails & every-friggin-else that was occuring.
http://bicyclejustice.blogspot.com

Check the Adelaide site for updates as well:

Good to see various folks from peak cycling organisations at the Melbourne ride, Rosemary from Cycling Promotion Fund, Charlie from Bicycle Federation of Australia, Bart from BV, Phil & Sue from AllTrails and everyone else*.

Stuff watching The Bill, I'm now going go have that nanna nap I promised myself all day. night nights.

*Who are actually just as important

WATER BOTTLES (BIDONS)- THEIR SIGNIFICANCE TO OUR RIDE TODAY

rooman said:
Bring water bottles with messages of your feelings in the injustice of the Humprhies case and the inadequacy of the law and motorists attitudes to cyclists.
Make sure someone writes down the messages from the bottles and they are kept to give to the Parliamentarian/s there at the time. If none turn up, keep the bottles safe and DO NOT put them in a garbage bag....an open mesh bag OK or in boxes , but treat these messages with respect.

Roo
I had a few riders ( and some of the Police at Melb. too) ask me why the Bidons being left as our message vehicle at the Wheels of Justice rides?.... the most immediate and poignant response I had considered was this:

"The Silent Sentinel of Sorrow"
A cyclist when hit by a car suffers great force, sufficient to rip the body from the bicycle, and to scatter all the cylists gear around the scene, pump, energy bars, mobile phones, inner tubes, wheel levers, road rash kit, credit cards, AND the rider's rehydration Bidons. Usually after the cyclist has been taken away, possessions collected by loved ones and the blood washed away, the only thing left behind is usually the BIDON...the silent sentinal of sorrow.

...need we say more ?

our messages for Justice , written on Bidons and left at memorial & protest rides are a significant and lasting vehicles for their serious message.

In Melbourne, we have retained the Bidons presented at the ride, and promised all present, that we will scribe the messages , post them on the web sites related to Wheels of Justice rides
(see :
http://bicyclejustice.blogspot.com & possibly the Adelaide site :

Now we must keep together, the ride steerers (stirrers?) in each state, meet, have a nosh and a few rehydrating slurps, and debrief, see the lessons learnt, the opportunities gained and the rewards won to the cause .

On behalf of attendees at Melbourne's ride, a big thank you to all those who promoted & attended in Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.
The Wheels of Justice movement , press coverage, forum posts, print and radio media coverage, and now the rides themselves have made a difference, we have had peak body cycling organisations stand up and seek to be counted at last and aligned with us. We now see a strong reaction from Governments in SA ( Royal Commission) and Victoria ( a rush to ensure awareness of mandatory sentencing to be in force in Vic for hit-run drivers.)

So well done!, however, a CAUTION

It is NOT OVER, we have to keep up the influence, maintain pressure and ensure all stakeholders, in this cause, do their bit, act appropriately and ensure support is ongoing.

We've come a long way in a short time-it has been a hard fast journey to this point, but it is not over......

meanwhile, all Cities collect the Bidon messages, post them to be read in our forums and websites, send them to parliaments in all states and make sure those very significant statements from the hearts of so many cyclists are immortalised, in some form of memorial, which leads me to another the likelihood of an extension of this cause, some time, some place there will be a memorial to cyclists who have died at the hands of careless and irresponsible motorists. Perhaps it should be Ian Humphrey's Memorial!, just putting it out there, maybe others have already raised this..but it makes sense, right?

On a well travelled road somewhere, it will be obvious to all who pass, and all who seek it out, just like those memorials to deceased tour riders in France and Italy, like the memorial to cyclists' athleticism at Warnambool, in honour of the competitors of the great Melb-Warnambool annual race (see: CYCLING MEMORIAL,RAGLAN PARADE, WARRNAMBOOL- http://www.mvermeulen.com/oneyear/Journal/november01.htm 1/3 down the page.)

Now after a hectic week, helping with this, and trying to maintain a professional role at the same time, it is now time to catch up on some sleep, as ................

The journey continues....

Roo