k2 sidewinder, anyone heard of it?

I am looking at one of these sidewinders at Sport Authority for $299. However it has a twist gear setup. Would this be a newer or older model with this? Also I am a male 6' about 190 would I need a medium frame or a large?:confused:

Smikey,

I bought mine at the end of '04 and it came with a twist grip shifter. Shifter is working fine, but rear derailleur wants to skip between second/ third and third/fourth gear ... maybe a tune up would fix it. I am 5' 10" and my medium frame is a little too small. You will want the large at 6' tall. Good luck!

SMIKEY said:
I am looking at one of these sidewinders at Sport Authority for $299. However it has a twist gear setup. Would this be a newer or older model with this? Also I am a male 6' about 190 would I need a medium frame or a large?:confused:

daphoutex said:
Smikey,

I bought mine at the end of '04 and it came with a twist grip shifter. Shifter is working fine, but rear derailleur wants to skip between second/ third and third/fourth gear ... maybe a tune up would fix it. I am 5' 10" and my medium frame is a little too small. You will want the large at 6' tall. Good luck!
Smikey, I did the same thing and bought my K2 at the end of 04. My bike is doning the same thing and skips between gears. as for the fame size, I'm 185lbs and 5' 8'' and I use the XL frame with no problems........time to go to a LBS for a tune up as well.

PoleCat said:
Are any of you K2 Sidewinder owners still around?

I am thinking about buying one of these bikes in the next day or two from Oshman's ($299), and I wanted to know how your bikes are holding up. The bike that I checked out at Oshmans seems to have slightly weak brakes. Has anyone else had this problem? Were you able to fix it? How?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

We've had a K2 Sidewinder FS we bought from Sportmart 2 weeks ago.
Holding up good.
The price was just under $400 which seems a pretty decent deal from some shopping I've done since concidering front and rear disk brakes and full suspension.
All in all we're happy with the bike.

Glad I found this forum!

I've been looking at the K2Sidewinder FS for awhile. Finally bought one. There is one change on it. It does'nt have disc brakes. The one I had seen a couple months ago had them. Being the only change, I went ahead and walked it up to the counter. The sale price was $244.00, but my wife got an additional 25% off,
(she noticed a scratch on the frame) so I paid $183.00 for this bike. Im 6'1, 235lbs and the large frame is perfect for me. I'm not a pro by any means. But, I do ride the trails in El Paso. The Franklins National Park trail is tough. That's where i realized the bike was a little heavy. Alot of hike-A-bike on the lower sunset trail. Back to the bike. I'm glad my wife talked me into getting the bike for the price of some Wal-bangers. Rode the Arroyo trail and the Redd road trails on this bike and it performed extremely well. :cool:

EBTEK: Where did you see the K-2 Sidewinder FS on sale for $244??
Thanks!

=========================================================

EBTEK said:
I've been looking at the K2Sidewinder FS for awhile. Finally bought one. There is one change on it. It does'nt have disc brakes. The one I had seen a couple months ago had them. Being the only change, I went ahead and walked it up to the counter. The sale price was $244.00, but my wife got an additional 25% off,
(she noticed a scratch on the frame) so I paid $183.00 for this bike. Im 6'1, 235lbs and the large frame is perfect for me. I'm not a pro by any means. But, I do ride the trails in El Paso. The Franklins National Park trail is tough. That's where i realized the bike was a little heavy. Alot of hike-A-bike on the lower sunset trail. Back to the bike. I'm glad my wife talked me into getting the bike for the price of some Wal-bangers. Rode the Arroyo trail and the Redd road trails on this bike and it performed extremely well. :cool:

StuGold said:
EBTEK: Where did you see the K-2 Sidewinder FS on sale for $244??
Thanks!

=========================================================
Bought it at Sports Authority in El Paso. Rode the Redd Road trails again this weekend. Hit a curb and bruised my thigh and stomach. My son thought it was funny:mad: . Then he looked at the bruise on my thigh and freaked out and laughed again. It was funny, I was sure I had picked up the front end. Guess I didn't. :eek:

Hey i am about to buy the sidewinder used from this guy i know who has owned the bike for two years. I have ridden it a few times and it feels great. Anyone have any info on the quality of the frame - all the components have reviews and whatnot that i can read but i can't find much about the frame. Is it easy to upgrade components on this bike? Can i upgrade the rear shock? Any info would be great. Feel free to e mail me using the link on this message.

EBTEK said:
Bought it at Sports Authority in El Paso. Rode the Redd Road trails again this weekend. Hit a curb and bruised my thigh and stomach. My son thought it was funny:mad: . Then he looked at the bruise on my thigh and freaked out and laughed again. It was funny, I was sure I had picked up the front end. Guess I didn't. :eek:
Looks like i'm behind the times. I just picked up my K2 Sidewinder and did the same thing many have done bofore me! Looked to see what i could find out about it. This is still the best info I could find. Thanks for all your previous postings.
I'm replacing a bike that i wore the axle in half, literaly. It was 12+ years old and my brother and i used to beat them up daily when we were growing up. I hope my rplacement will last just as long and take the same beating.

If there is still a K2 Sidewinder support group sign me up!!!

I have had my Sidewinder for almost a year now and while I also have an inordinate amount of trouble finding any information on it I love my bike!

For under a thousand dollars I can climb pretty much anything, leap off of eight foot drops all day long, downhill with my buddies who all ride expensive bikes and still get to and from work everyday on it.
The only complaint that I have is about the brake calipers. They work good and seem to hold up okay but they are the budget Promax line and that makes it hard to get pads anywhere locally since most of the shops around here only stock parts for the higher end products. On a positive note that gives me a good excuse to upgrade my bike with some cool new toys!
Great bike, great price and mine is the only one that I have seen in Denver so far.
GLB3 said:
Bought a K2 sidewinder FS the other day spur of the moment ... ~50% off and I liked the feel of it. It's a full suspension mountain bike ... red/white/gray frame.

The only thing is I can't find any reference to the bike on the web. This and the fact that it was the last one at the store leave me with a strange feeling.

Seems like reasonable value for the money ... Judy TT, DNM-22, Shimano Alvio, etc.

I'm enjoying for now but missing out on some of the web discussion learning since my bike doesn't exist.

Cheers,

GLB

if you don't want to upgrade look on e-bay to get the stuff you need. Or i guess if you want to upgrade you can look there too. I have had my K2 Sidewinder all summer without a prob. paid about 160 for it.

Are there anymore Sidewinder owners here in Denver? As I said before, I am beginning to feel like the lone ranger without a Tonto.
Nobody in the mile high city has even heard of this bike, let alone seen one.:confused: My e-mail is [email protected]
As for the upgrades, I think I might just do the brake calipers for convenience and fun, but the rest of my bike seems to work perfect for me.

jumpingJR said:
Are there anymore Sidewinder owners here in Denver? As I said before, I am beginning to feel like the lone ranger without a Tonto.
Nobody in the mile high city has even heard of this bike, let alone seen one.:confused: My e-mail is [email protected]
As for the upgrades, I think I might just do the brake calipers for convenience and fun, but the rest of my bike seems to work perfect for me.
Hey hows it going?

I too am looking online for some good stuff to read on about my new K2 Sidewiinder. I just bought one here in Denver (Englewood) CO. at Sport Authority. I paid $399.99. They had listed it for 499.99 Orig $599.99. Event Runs 04/21/2007.

How I walk out of the store with it f/ $399.99? I don't know. Even though I had read others bought their bike f/ $300.00 some time back around 2 years ago. I did read all others wrote on this forum and pretty much all where good stuff. Their was only 3 at Sports Authority and they had buffed them up with the latest brakes and thumb action gear levers.

So, i just bought mine yesterday and like others, @ the "Spare of the Moment" whats up with that? where do you ride? i live in castle rock. i am looking to check out my bike very soon, i think at Lakewood off 470 and almeda. know of it?

Ricky

not a clue, i just moved to Des Moines a year ago and haven't gotten out much since. There are a ton of paved trails around here but nothing even with hills. I guess there is one place that is down by the river but it sounds iffy. Good luck with your new ride, i got mine a year ago but i bet i haven't even put 100 miles on it yet. Welcome to the club!

Ben

I also just got a k2 sidewinder as an impulse buy at my local sports authority. I'm not sure what year model it is, but it has disk brakes and the shimano lever gear shifter. I got the one year extended warranty from them for an extra $23 in total it all came out to $400. I am totally new to biking but am glad I found this post with lots of good reviews on it. I will definitely need to take in to get the brakes adjusted as the rear brake is way to loose. Any other riders from Phoenix, AZ? Was wondering if there any good places for people new to mountain biking to see what it is all about.

Hi As far as i am concered i am now
Living in the Year 2009. Any Experience in 2007 2008 with k2sidewinner As it is still sold for 400 USD? Happy about some Information and answers except from eager employees which are producing and selling this Bike

I too bought my K2 a couple of days ago out of impulse. Only had a chance to go on one ride so far but happy with her. Sounds like we all paid roughly the same price; $400.00. Just started riding so trying to research the trails available in the Everett Washington.

Aloha,
Halon

Might be about to join the K2 club, but didn't impulse buy like others ;)
Going to look at it tomorrow, he's asking $150. Sounds like a decent bike, especially for this price.
I'll update if I buy it.

Bought a K2 sidewinder FS the other day spur of the moment ... ~50% off and I liked the feel of it. It's a full suspension mountain bike ... red/white/gray frame.

The only thing is I can't find any reference to the bike on the web. This and the fact that it was the last one at the store leave me with a strange feeling.

Seems like reasonable value for the money ... Judy TT, DNM-22, Shimano Alvio, etc.

I'm enjoying for now but missing out on some of the web discussion learning since my bike doesn't exist.

Cheers,

GLB

Hey folks, me checking in after 17 years. I just replaced the tires with some new Kenda alpha lock and lubed up the bike to ride again. Still like the feel of the bike but can't say I've been riding much for the last several years. It's possible that bikes are much better now, but realistically I won't go out and spend 1500 on something new so ...

I've done some fairly aggressive riding on this bike and an really happy with it overall.

Yesterday I had an issue I need to repair ... The plastic spoke guard next to the rear cassette broke and fell off while hopping a curb. I need to remove the cassette to put on a new one. Can anyone point me to the correct tool for this bike? There are several different styles and this is a 17 year old part so don't trust what I find on Amazon. While searching for info I came across this little time capsule. In any case let me know if you've removed the rear sprocket, and hope you guys are still outriding your friends on this thing.

Geoff