K2 Sidewinder...please help

BIGGERSTUFF

Jul 9, 2003
i just spend $449 on this bike and i dont know if it is worth it or not. please give me some comment on the price, the bike, etc...
I also tried searching on the internet but i dont find any good info. Please help... thank you in advance!

Originally posted by rek
You're in luck, because someone else in the forum asked something similar not too long ago, and got a couple of replies that might help you:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t24510.html

WOW! Thx a lot rek... now i do feel better than someone else is on my boat: "not able to find anything about it on the web"

now with confident that it's a decent bike. again thanks rek!

I'd really like to get this K2 Sidewinder MTB...How's your experience with it so far? I'm kinda a begginer/intermediate rider and my budget is really tight...can you all give me a feedback on this...I'd really appreciate it! thanks!!!

Originally posted by BIGGERSTUFF
i just spend $449 on this bike and i dont know if it is worth it or not. please give me some comment on the price, the bike, etc...
I also tried searching on the internet but i dont find any good info. Please help... thank you in advance!

Originally posted by BIGGERSTUFF

I'd really like to get this K2 Sidewinder MTB...How's your experience with it so far? I'm kinda a begginer/intermediate rider and my budget is really tight...can you all give me a feedback on this...I'd really appreciate it! thanks!!!

Originally posted by Dax

K2 sidewinder is a very nice bike to start off with. With lots of quality materials for such a low price. If you can find one under $500 then is worth it, other than that you can probably find a better one on e-bay or other internet stores. It's a bit heavy, around 30lbs, but it looks very awesome. Parts are upgradeable so if you feel like you in a need of a better bike you can always change a few parts and start from there, this is what I'm planning to do anyways. I bring this bike to some very advance hills and this bike do its job. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would give this 8.

Hope it helps...

Tom

Cool...that was pretty quick. Do you think it'll last...Upgradeable is a good think...at least im not going to be stuck with an old bike if my riding skills improve...that is if i improve...

Material wise and durability wise, you really think it can hang? I just recently got one of those cheap bikes from Walmart (the Mongoose XR 100) and after less than a month it started to fall apart...cahin slipping off the freewheel..lound crankign noise and cables starts to fray.

I think I'm really going to get the K2 once i get the moolah... I also saw a bike from one of the local mass selling shop here..its a specialized mtb with front suspension (contour i think), 2002 model ( ithink it was a rock hopper..i'm not sure) for $219...originally $330...do you think that's a good buy?

thanks

I just picked up a 2003 K2 Sidewinder at my local Oshmans for $240 after 20% off and another 25% friends and family deal. Is this bike worth it? It looks good, but I know looks aren't everything. Does anyone have comments after having one for a while? Pros Cons.

Are any of you K2 Sidewinder owners still around?

I am thinking about buying this bike soon. Everything on it looks pretty good for the price, but the brakes seem kindof weak to me. Has anyone had any problems with the brakes? Otherwise how is the bike holding up?

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.:)

PoleCat said:

I am thinking about buying this bike soon. Everything on it looks pretty good for the price, but the brakes seem kindof weak to me. Has anyone had any problems with the brakes? Otherwise how is the bike holding up?

I am still a proud owner of the K2 Sidewinder. However, I know they came out with a newer model which doesn't seem as "solid" as my 2003 (or is it 2002).
It has been two years so far and I am still using all the original parts. I had couple of hard crashes, I'm ok (thank God) and the bike is holding in one piece. The only down fall to it is there is no pre-drilled holes for bottle holder. Many times where I wish i have one for long rides but I just carry the bottle in a pouch I purchased from Target.
The bike can attack downhill like a 2000+ bike, I compared! no kidding! Very stable. The brakes I have no problems with, when I fly down an off road hill I stand and lean as far back as possible. This will put more pressure on the back wheel with more traction. Hope this helps...

Tom

I am the proud owner of what I am beginning to think may be the only Sidewinder in Denver and I cant tell you how happy I have been and continue to be with the bike.
It holds up to an amazing amount of abuse when riding with my buddies who all seem to have payed exorbitant amounts of money for thier bikes and is always in one piece to take me to work the next morning.
The only thing that I have had problems with was trying to find pads for the kind of chincy Promax brake calipers but an upgrade is easy enough if you feel that your bike is worth a couple of hundred extra dollars later on.
It takes five to eight foot drops, climbs anything and downhills pretty good if I keep the spring on the back lose enough to stop a somewhat jumpy rear end.
I love my bike and consider it a great deal!!!:D
PoleCat said:

I bought the K2 sidewinder DS at a local sports retailer near my city in 2008. I bought it not knowing anything about mountain bikes. At first glance, I thought was decent. It has a full suspension and some beefy 2.1 Kenda tires fitted with some disc brakes in the front and rear. For a little over 400 bucks I thought that it was a really good bargain. I started riding my bike around my neighborhood and some trails for about a year and to my surprise, the bike still feels solid! I wanted to ride more difficult trail and some downhills so I decided to upgrade my bike. These are the changes I've made:

Handle bar: Truvativ Stylo
Brakes: Elixir R
Shifter: Sram X9 (trigger)
derailleur (front): Sram X7
derailleur (rear): Sram X9
Crank: Raceface Ride w/ an upgraded bottom bracket
cassete: Sram 9 speed cassette
chain: sram 951 w/ a power link
grips: Sunline lock on
pedals: Distortion

Since then I've been riding some hard trails and downhills and the frame still feels like a rock and I love it! The bike still feels a bit heavy but its sturdy. Soon I'll be changing the forks to air (maybe Fox or Rocks shox) and the rear suspension the same. So originally, I paid 400 for a complete functional bike and invested another 650 bucks to upgrade some components. In the end you still will not find a bike for a 1000 dollars with all the bells and whistles. If you are looking to purchase one, I highly recommend it! It was fun to ride it even on stock form!