Kaffir Lime Leaves! Thanks to the Romfhs :)

Saerah

Guest
I received some fresh leaves from Pete and Peggy Romfh the other day- and used the recipe they sent
- for a beef dish, 'Nua Pad Ki Mow'-to make dinner tonight. I used green pepper instead of red and
garnished with green onions along with the cilantro. served over rice noodles. ( i didnt have any
fish sauce so i smashed an anchovy in some oil. worked just fine :>) . my husband is still
kvelling...

Beef with lime leaves and chilies ( i know my typing sucks. apologies all around.)

one pound beef sirloin, cut into 3" strips 1/4" wide
1/2 pound green beans, sliced on the diagonal into 3 to 4 inch pieces 2 tsp fish sauce 1 tsp soy
sauce 2 tsp oyster sauce
2/4 tsp white pepper 2 Tb oil 3 cloves garlic, sliced
3/4 cup chicken stock (low-sodium) 2 to 3 thai bird chilies or 1 jalapeno or serrano, chopped 3
kaffir lime leaves, cut into fine slivers
4/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced cilantro sprigs

blanch the beans in salted boiling water for a minute. drain and plunge into cold water to stop the
cooking. drain and set aside. place the beef in a mixing bowl, add the fish oil, oyster sauce, soy
sauce and pepper. toss to coat. set aside. heat the oil in a wok over high heat. add garlic and beef
mixture when it starts to smoke, stir fry for about 2 minutes. add a few Tb of stock if the pan gets
too dry. add bell pepper, lime leaves, chilies and bean; cook until the meat is just done and the
vegetables are hot and slightly softened (about 2 minutes). add the remaining stock to the pan to
create more sauce, if necessary. garnish with cilantro. serves 4
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

Saerah wrote:
> I received some fresh leaves from Pete and Peggy Romfh the other day- and used the recipe they
> sent - for a beef dish, 'Nua Pad Ki Mow'-to make dinner tonight. I used green pepper instead of
> red and garnished with green onions along with the cilantro. served over rice noodles.
> ( ididnt have any fish sauce so i smashed an anchovy in some oil. worked just fine :>) . my
> husband is still kvelling...
>
> Beef with lime leaves and chilies ( i know my typing sucks. apologies all around.)
>
> one pound beef sirloin, cut into 3" strips 1/4" wide
> 1/2 pound green beans, sliced on the diagonal into 3 to 4 inch pieces 2 tsp fish sauce 1 tsp soy
> sauce 2 tsp oyster sauce
> 1/4 tsp white pepper 2 Tb oil 3 cloves garlic, sliced
> 1/4 cup chicken stock (low-sodium) 2 to 3 thai bird chilies or 1 jalapeno or serrano, chopped 3
> kaffir lime leaves, cut into fine slivers
> 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced cilantro sprigs
>
> blanch the beans in salted boiling water for a minute. drain and plunge into cold water to stop
> the cooking. drain and set aside. place the beef in a mixing bowl, add the fish oil, oyster sauce,
> soy sauce and pepper. toss to coat. set aside. heat the oil in a wok over high heat. add garlic
> and beef mixture when it starts to smoke, stir fry for about 2 minutes. add a few Tb of stock if
> the pan gets too dry. add bell pepper, lime leaves, chilies and bean; cook until the meat is just
> done and the vegetables are hot and slightly softened (about 2 minutes). add the remaining stock
> to the pan to create more sauce, if necessary. garnish with cilantro. serves 4 -- TANSTAAFL
>
> Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

Glad you enjoyed them. They're so much better fresh than dried.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet. promfh at Texas dot net

Pete Romfh wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>Saerah wrote:
>> I received some fresh leaves from Pete and Peggy Romfh the other day- and used the recipe they
>> sent - for a beef dish, 'Nua Pad Ki Mow'-to make dinner tonight.

<snip recipe>

>Glad you enjoyed them. They're so much better fresh than dried.

ive never tried the dried. but oh, did these make a fantastic dish! i gave some to a friend of mine,
too. kaffir lime leaves, bringing folks together in their love of thai food. :)

--

Saerah wrote:

> I received some fresh leaves from Pete and Peggy Romfh the other day- and used the recipe they
> sent - for a beef dish, 'Nua Pad Ki Mow'-to make dinner tonight. I used green pepper instead of
> red and garnished with green onions along with the cilantro. served over rice noodles. ( i didnt
> have any fish sauce so i smashed an anchovy in some oil. worked just fine :>) . my husband is
> still kvelling...

I received leaves from them too!! Im very grateful and if they need anything that only canada has,
Id send it to them

--
Michael Ellis, IAPP
Privacy Manager

Date.com - "The New Way To Date"

"Saerah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Pete Romfh wrote in message <[email protected]>...
> >Saerah wrote:
> >> I received some fresh leaves from Pete and Peggy Romfh the other day- and used the recipe they
> >> sent - for a beef dish, 'Nua Pad Ki Mow'-to make dinner tonight.
>
> <snip recipe>
>
> >Glad you enjoyed them. They're so much better fresh than dried.
> >

> ive never tried the dried. but oh, did these make a fantastic dish! i gave some to a friend of
> mine, too. kaffir lime leaves, bringing folks together in their love of thai food. :)

Hi. There's an Asian Market around here that carries Kaffir lime leaves but they keep them in the
freezer; can't find fresh ones.

Anyway, last night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and this recipe called for a
few Kaffir leaves. I used the frozen leaves I had bought and they made the dish smell like soap! I
thought it was just me but my husband noticed the same.

Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves were bad? They looked
fine, though.

I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir leaves... Maybe it's just like
cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like soap?

Iris