Kaffir lime leaves

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Iris, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Iris

    Iris Guest

    Hi,

    I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this time around.

    The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and this recipe called for a few
    Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was just me
    but my husband noticed the same.

    Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves were bad? They looked
    fine, though.

    I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir leaves...

    Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like soap?

    I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and many of them call for
    Kaffir leaves.

    Thanks in advance,

    Iris

    Tags:

  2. Saerah

    Saerah Guest

    Iris wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this time around.
    >
    >The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and this recipe called for a few
    >Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was just
    >me but my husband noticed the same.
    >
    >Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves were bad? They looked
    >fine, though.
    >
    >I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir leaves...
    >
    >Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like soap?
    >
    >I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and many of them call for
    >Kaffir leaves.

    Kaffir Lime leaves have a unique scent that, to your nose, may be reminicent of soap. try tasting a
    leaf by itself. if you dont like the way they taste, leave 'em out.

    --
    Saerah

    TANSTAAFL

    Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

  3. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:34:54 -0500, "Saerah"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Iris wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this time around.
    >>
    >>The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and this recipe called for a
    >>few Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was
    >>just me but my husband noticed the same.
    >>
    >>Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves were bad? They looked
    >>fine, though.
    >>
    >>I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir leaves...
    >>
    >>Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like soap?
    >>
    >>I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and many of them call for
    >>Kaffir leaves.
    >>

    >Kaffir Lime leaves have a unique scent that, to your nose, may be reminicent of soap. try tasting a
    >leaf by itself. if you dont like the way they taste, leave 'em out.

    I use Kaffir lime leaves a lot. I have a bush in my conservatory - I bought it about 3 years ago and
    it was then about 15 inches high. Now it is about 3 feet and in a big big pot. I don't see any
    flowers, so probably no fruit. But the leaves are magnificent. Before I got the plant, I bought them
    from the local greengrocer and froze them. I found them just fine thawed from frozen. But fresh is
    definitely best.

    They do add such a lot to a Thai dish. So don't give up hope. I believe the trick is to cut the
    leaves into strips and add to the curry before the last long simmer. I do this. Leave the leaves in
    overnight if you can but remove before serving.

    If you are still unsure, try adding some fresh lime juice to the curry instead of the lime leaves.
    But do persevere - they do give Thai dishes that extra something.

    Cheers and good cooking

    Daisy.

    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.