Kaffir lime leaves

Iris

Guest
Hi,

I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this time around.

The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and this recipe called for a few
Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was just me
but my husband noticed the same.

Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves were bad? They looked
fine, though.

I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir leaves...

Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like soap?

I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and many of them call for
Kaffir leaves.

Thanks in advance,

Iris

Iris wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>Hi,
>
>I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this time around.
>
>The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and this recipe called for a few
>Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was just
>me but my husband noticed the same.
>
>Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves were bad? They looked
>fine, though.
>
>I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir leaves...
>
>Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like soap?
>
>I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and many of them call for
>Kaffir leaves.

Kaffir Lime leaves have a unique scent that, to your nose, may be reminicent of soap. try tasting a
leaf by itself. if you dont like the way they taste, leave 'em out.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:34:54 -0500, "Saerah"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Iris wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this time around.
>>
>>The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and this recipe called for a
>>few Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was
>>just me but my husband noticed the same.
>>
>>Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves were bad? They looked
>>fine, though.
>>
>>I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir leaves...
>>
>>Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like soap?
>>
>>I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and many of them call for
>>Kaffir leaves.
>>

>Kaffir Lime leaves have a unique scent that, to your nose, may be reminicent of soap. try tasting a
>leaf by itself. if you dont like the way they taste, leave 'em out.

I use Kaffir lime leaves a lot. I have a bush in my conservatory - I bought it about 3 years ago and
it was then about 15 inches high. Now it is about 3 feet and in a big big pot. I don't see any
flowers, so probably no fruit. But the leaves are magnificent. Before I got the plant, I bought them
from the local greengrocer and froze them. I found them just fine thawed from frozen. But fresh is
definitely best.

They do add such a lot to a Thai dish. So don't give up hope. I believe the trick is to cut the
leaves into strips and add to the curry before the last long simmer. I do this. Leave the leaves in
overnight if you can but remove before serving.

If you are still unsure, try adding some fresh lime juice to the curry instead of the lime leaves.
But do persevere - they do give Thai dishes that extra something.

Cheers and good cooking

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.