Kalloy quill stems

trekrider

Jul 19, 2003
Quick question for anyone who can give me some advice...

I am working on building up a Trek 5000 frame and am needing to purchase a stem. My fork / headset is threaded and I am considering a Kalloy quill stem. Good / Bad?

There are a bunch of them on e-bay for $11.95 (buy it now). Is this a good price for this stem or should I keep looking?

Thanks. :D

Originally posted by trekrider
Quick question for anyone who can give me some advice...

I am working on building up a Trek 5000 frame and am needing to purchase a stem. My fork / headset is threaded and I am considering a Kalloy quill stem. Good / Bad?

There are a bunch of them on e-bay for $11.95 (buy it now). Is this a good price for this stem or should I keep looking?

Thanks. :D
Functonal,probably heavy. What do you want for $11.95? Nashbar often has better stuff for the same money on clearance.Make sure the clamp diameter is correct for your application.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Functonal,probably heavy. What do you want for $11.95? Nashbar often has better stuff for the same money on clearance.Make sure the clamp diameter is correct for your application.

Would I be better off to go with a nice threadless stem and use an adapter? As far as the diameter goes... I don't have the bars yet but now that I think about it I should probably just wait and buy the stem/bars together.

thanks for the help.

Originally posted by trekrider
Would I be better off to go with a nice threadless stem and use an adapter? As far as the diameter goes... I don't have the bars yet but now that I think about it I should probably just wait and buy the stem/bars together.

thanks for the help.
The adapter gives you alot more options,but probably greater cost. But nashbar also has clearance on decent threadless stems.There is plenty of matched bontrager stuff on ebay for decent prices. Ritchey is another to consider.