Kamakazi [sic] and BMX

Drongo

Nov 28, 2007
Yes, Kamakazi is fully sick, it would seem.

He's also in the BMX semi-finals at the Olympics. He was called Jamie Hildebrandt, but changed his name by deed poll. He's from Queensland, and doesn't change his socks during a competition.

I'm not sure why, if you were going to change your name, you'd also mis-spell it, but perhaps he wants to ride his bike more than once and therefore sought to differentiate himself from other kamikaze.

I can only speculate. However, I wanted to bring him to everyone's attention.

BMX is on, it's a cycling event, and it replaced the kilo in the Olympics. This is as good a place as any to start talking about the people who do this sport.

(On a more serious note, the thought of doing this sport terrifies me. A little itty-bitty downhill on a MTB course has me quaking in fear. The idea of nailing a 13-metre jump on a bike with no shocks, again and again, I cannot comprehend. So they have my respect, if not my understanding.)

Runitout said:
Check out his height and weight.

The man is built like a wombat.

More on the great man here: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/cycling/kamakazi-on-centre-stage/2008/08/19/1218911721901.html. Apparently he wished 'to avoid association with suicide bombers', so the spelling was different. Not sure he achieved his aim with that, but not to worry.

There's even a video interview: http://media.brisbanetimes.com.au/?...on-centre-stage/2008/08/19/1218911721901.html.

He comes across pretty well in the video.

My guess is he spelt his new name similar to "Kawasaki" as he rides motorcross as well.

Crankyfeet said:
My guess is he spelt his new name similar to "Kawasaki" as he rides motorcross as well.

Just read the interview. Perfect representation of the dirt scene in Oz.

Funny the way those scenes just abound in cycling as in all of life --
you have the trigeeks with their matching budgie smugglers, Cervelos and "look";
you have the roadies with their white shoe covers and matching helmet, gloves, and leg warmers;
the fixed gear riders who all have the same tattoos, teddyboy haircuts, top tube pads and chromed handlebars;
the single speed mountain bikers and their scene -

It's all so derivative. It's like what le Carre once wrote - all rebels are merely seeking a better conformity.

Don't mean to bag the man - I'm a stereotypical roadie - but I see him and I see a person who's trying way too hard to be "something", whatever it is.

Hope he wins a medal.

Runitout said:
Hope he wins a medal.
Is he Australia's top ranked rider? This Graves guy seems to be doing well in the qualifying rounds (the telecast is delayed here btw).

Crankyfeet said:
Is he Australia's top ranked rider? This Graves guy seems to be doing well in the qualifying rounds (the telecast is delayed here btw).
Based solely on their bios on the AOC site, I'd say Graves is the better shot for a medal; he seems to have had a good year in 2008.

But the other feller has so many qualities you expect in a BMX-er: the piercings and the big old ear-rings, the bad spelling, the smelly socks, being a mug lair, and his protesting that it really is a serious sport--no, really. I'm sure they both do some crazy stuff on a bike, but I haven't seen it 'cos there's no telly at work, so I only know what's being fed to me by a compliant and lair-friendly media. I am but a pawn in Kamakazi's game of self-promotion.

Hell, it was just an excuse to talk about the BMX, anyway. So, tell us about this Graves feller.

edit: I realise some of my language may have tended to the Strine. This may help in comprehension:

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/podcasts/podcast007.html

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result

Drongo said:
Based solely on their bios on the AOC site, I'd say Graves is the better shot for a medal; he seems to have had a good year in 2008.

But the other feller has so many qualities you expect in a BMX-er: the piercings and the big old ear-rings, the bad spelling, the smelly socks, being a mug lair, and his protesting that it really is a serious sport--no, really. I'm sure they both do some crazy stuff on a bike, but I haven't seen it 'cos there's no telly at work, so I only know what's being fed to me by a compliant and lair-friendly media. I am but a pawn in Kamakazi's game of self-promotion.

Hell, it was just an excuse to talk about the BMX, anyway. So, tell us about this Graves feller.

edit: I realise some of my language may have tended to the Strine. This may help in comprehension:

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/podcasts/podcast007.html

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=mAdUqLrKw4YC&pg=PA1336&lpg=PA1336&dq=%22mug+lair%22&source=web&ots=t0Lb5LjkuL&sig=qOpFI7u5B8178WVY60x1YyqRsWE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result
The Graves feller finished top of his quarter final group ranking (there are eight in each QF group..and they run three heats just within their group... and add up their placings). Graves finished 1st, 2nd, and 1st in his three QF heats.

Kamakazi was in another QF group and he finished ranked 4th in his group with heat finishes of 7th, 3rd and 3rd.

So Graves looks to be the in-form one. I assume the top four go through to the semi final round... so Kamakazi should still qualify (and probably will end up in Graves' SF group since they were both in the bottom half of the QF draw). Seems like the hype is bigger than the punch... but you can't knock his ability to play the media..... cause they seem to be lapping it up and doing their bit at the promotion game.

The races are short (average winning time is around 36 secs). There are some big jumps. They start with a steep downhill "ramp" section. If you get checked or something during the race and lose speed.... you may not have enough speed to make the jumps.... which makes it impossible to stay with the leaders. The races remind me of the snowboarding races at the Winter Olympics

Crankyfeet said:
The races remind me of the snowboarding races at the Winter Olympics
I've always thought the snowboarding races remind me of BMX races.
I'm an old bmx'er from way back in the early 80's

Trev_S said:
I've always thought the snowboarding races remind me of BMX races.
I'm an old bmx'er from way back in the early 80's

The South African to take gold. His stats showed 2,000 watts leg strength!

Now if only we could get him to ride 200km and THEN push 2,000 watts - step aside Mark Cavenwho? :D

Eldron said:
The South African to take gold. His stats showed 2,000 watts leg strength!

Now if only we could get him to ride 200km and THEN push 2,000 watts - step aside Mark Cavenwho? :D
Robbie McEwen started as a BMX rider IIRC.

I don't know anything about BMX but while watching the finals I came to the conclusion that the strategy seems to be to get a good start so you are ahead of any crashes. Without a good start you are farked because it is hard to make up time with all the jumps. It seems to rely a lot on luck. Why don't they do five runs in the final and sum the best three times?

Bro Deal said:
I don't know anything about BMX but while watching the finals I came to the conclusion that the strategy seems to be to get a good start so you are ahead of any crashes. Without a good start you are farked because it is hard to make up time with all the jumps. It seems to rely a lot on luck. Why don't they do five runs in the final and sum the best three times?
They should. That's how they qualified for the final...sorta. But they want everybody watching to be able to tell who's winning during the race. Your method is fairer... but it doesn't make as exciting a show probably in their minds. The Olympics is entertainment first. I'd rather the fairer option myself. I didn't see the finals though.

I watched the men's and women's final on TV yesterday (probably a replay). It was kind of meh. It's very short for a bike race and seems to depend too much on luck. As an example IIRC in the women's final, the second placed hit the first placed (sorry all the names escape me) in the last swing and one of them crashed.

Maybe there should be some longer flat passages between the jumps on a generally longer course (maybe ten times as long but with the same amount of jumps.) I don't know. I can't get excited about it in the present form.

Is there a TT-like competition were each rider goes separately? That might be more fair (and more boring to watch)?

being an ex-BMXer, i can say that this is a standard world cup format. the tracks i rode on were a bit more open (less jumps) and pure speed could make a pass on a straight but it was usually the corners where most passing took place. unfortunately for that reason its also where the most crashses take place. having a longer race may be good for tv but 2000w for longer than 40 seconds could be a bit much to ask.

I loved it, brought back some really cool memories