UK and Europe · Public discussion

Kamikaze squirells

Started by Viktor · · Last activity · 60 posts · 3,768 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
24 April 2004
Last activity
30 April 2004
Original author
Viktor
Posts
60
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,768
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 60
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Viktor said:

    What a mess. I mean what are the chances!? Have you had
    any encounters with the big toothed bushy tailed critters?

    Yuk, thats horrible, I once had a bird fly into my spokes.

  2. VisionSet said:

    Not native, and pushed our native red to the verge of
    extinction at one point. And if you've seen a red, they're
    not even cute.

    I've been reading lots of illustrated Pooh books to DD
    recently. Unfortunately it's Disney Pooh, so it's written
    for Merkins. It's quite distressing to see grey squirrels on
    every other page, when I feel quite sure they wouldn't have
    been at all common in the Hundred Acre Wood during
    Christopher Robin's childhood.

    And having grown up on the edge of Ashdown Forest myself,
    it's even more
    distressing to see skunks and raccoons making repeated
    appearances.

    Kangaroos and Tiggers are a different matter, of course.

    Quoted message said:

    One less, well done Viktor.

    I have to agree with that sentiment.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
    reply address)
    <url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/> "He who
    dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  3. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:40:08 GMT, "Frobnitz"

    eddie_d@@@blueyonder.ocbackwards.uk () said:


    "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The furry bugger was out of luck and ended up going
    through my front


    spokes

    Quoted message said:

    where it jammed.

    Was it red or grey? There's quite big difference - reds
    are relatively rare.

    And according to the Grauniad, the reds taste revolting,
    owing to some gland near their kidneys, but the greys are
    absolutely yummy, a bit like wild rabbit, but with more
    flavour. Don't know if they should be rare or
    medium............

    According to Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall, there used to be a
    restaurant in the New Forest that sold them as "flightless
    partridge".

    I've had them casseroled in red-wine with juniper berries,
    button mushrooms and shallots. Yum.

    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  4. Whingin' Pom said:

    According to Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall, there used to be a
    restaurant in the New Forest that sold them as "flightless
    partridge".

    I remember seen an article on the local TV news about 15
    years ago about a restaurant in either Eastbourne or
    Brighton that had squirrel on the menu. The following week
    there was another article about the same restaurant,
    reporting that it had been firebombed by animal rights
    activists.

    Personally, I think eating vermin seems a perfectly
    reasonable way to keep the population down. A restaurant
    that served cats, rats and pigeons would be doing a great
    civic service.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
    reply address)
    <url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/> "He who
    dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  5. "Danny Colyer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    VisionSet said:

    Not native, and pushed our native red to the verge of
    extinction at one point. And if you've seen a red,
    they're not even cute.

    I've been reading lots of illustrated Pooh books to DD
    recently. Unfortunately it's Disney Pooh, so it's written
    for Merkins.

    That in itself is distressing. But don't set me off on my
    american infiltration soap box.

    Quoted message said:

    It's quite distressing to see grey squirrels on every
    other page, when I feel quite sure they wouldn't have
    been at all common in the Hundred Acre Wood during
    Christopher Robin's childhood.

    And having grown up on the edge of Ashdown Forest myself,
    it's even more
    distressing to see skunks and raccoons making repeated
    appearances.

    Superbly educational ;-) I trust you put the record
    straight.

    --
    Mike W

  6. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:39:03 +0100, Danny Colyer
    <[email hidden]> ([email hidden])

    Quoted message said:
    Whingin' Pom said:

    According to Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall, there used to be
    a restaurant in the New Forest that sold them as
    "flightless partridge".

    I remember seen an article on the local TV news about 15
    years ago about a restaurant in either Eastbourne or
    Brighton that had squirrel on the menu. The following week
    there was another article about the same restaurant,
    reporting that it had been firebombed by animal rights
    activists.

    FFS. It's not as if the bloody things were even factory-
    farmed.

    One of the nice things about NZ is the refreshing attitude
    to things like this. Possums are a major pest here, causing
    massive damage to the local flora and fauna. So, possum fur
    is an acceptable product, cheap and lovely snuggly-warm.
    Mixed with merino, is makes some beautiful jumpers, ideal
    for (Look Mum! On-Topic at last!) cold-weather cycling.

    Quoted message said:

    Personally, I think eating vermin seems a perfectly
    reasonable way to keep the population down. A restaurant
    that served cats, rats and pigeons would be doing a great
    civic service.

    Pigeon, unless it's city-type [censored]-fed pigeon is delicious.
    Cat and rat, I imagine would be not as pleasant. Other than
    culinary considerations, I agree with you.

    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  7. Reply to Danny Colyer

    My GF's sister's husband, citizen of North Carolina,
    regularly shoots squirrels [pronounced squirls] for the
    pot: he uses a blowpipe which I have to confess I thought
    was *way* cool. Blowpipes are apparently illegal here in
    the UK, unfortunately, otherwise there'd be one mounted on
    the bent by now.

    Quoted message said:

    Personally, I think eating vermin seems a perfectly
    reasonable way to keep the population down. A restaurant
    that served cats, rats and pigeons would be doing a great
    civic service.

    ...BMW drivers...yoofs in bass-beat rust-buckets...

    --
    Mark, UK. We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him
    squeak, We like to see him biting fingers in his horny beak.

  8. Pete White said:

    "Viktor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was pedalling merrily around Richmond park as I often
    do when a

    psychotic

    Quoted message said:

    squirrel decided to sprint across the road just in
    front of me.

    The furry bugger was out of luck and ended up going
    through my front

    spokes

    Quoted message said:

    where it jammed.

    The spinning motion of my wheel through it round and what
    followed was a bloody mess.

    Literally! I was covered in the furry rodent's blood n
    meat chunks and my spokes took some heavy damage.

    What a mess. I mean what are the chances!? Have you had
    any encounters

    with

    Quoted message said:

    the big toothed bushy tailed critters?

    Take care...

    I've been hit by a duck (!) in Edington. Does that count?

    Is that Edington as in Edington, Wilts with the sign saying
    caution ducks on road, although i've yet to see one

    Cheers

    Michael

  9. Mark McN said:


    Quoted message said:

    Personally, I think eating vermin seems a perfectly
    reasonable way to keep the population down. A restaurant
    that served cats, rats and pigeons would be doing a great
    civic service.

    ...BMW drivers...yoofs in bass-beat rust-buckets...

    I'd steer clear of canned food ;-)

    Tony

  10. Whingin' Pom said:


    Quoted message said:

    Personally, I think eating vermin seems a perfectly
    reasonable way to keep the population down. A restaurant
    that served cats, rats and pigeons would be doing a great
    civic service.

    Pigeon, unless it's city-type [censored]-fed pigeon is
    delicious. Cat and rat, I imagine would be not as
    pleasant. Other than culinary considerations, I agree
    with you.

    Its curious how people differentiate the acceptability of
    meat from different animals for reasons other than taste.

    Tony

  11. Whingin' Pom said:
    Quoted message said:

    Personally, I think eating vermin seems a perfectly
    reasonable way to keep the population down. A restaurant
    that served cats, rats and pigeons would be doing a great
    civic service.

    A neighbour of mine had a cat which used to try to 'play'
    with our two but one day it went missing. I was getting a
    vindaloo at the local Indian Takeaway and saw a notice in
    the window. 'Lost black cat, answers to Murray'
    ! Mmm.

  12. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:39:03 +0100, Danny Colyer
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I remember seen an article on the local TV news about 15
    years ago about a restaurant in either Eastbourne or
    Brighton that had squirrel on the menu. The following week
    there was another article about the same restaurant,
    reporting that it had been firebombed by animal rights
    activists.

    Do they firebomb every restaurant that serves meat?
    Logically if you're going to firebomb places that serve
    swuirrel, anywhere serving free-range pork should also
    be a target.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  13. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:55:57 +0100, Danny Colyer
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I've been reading lots of illustrated Pooh books to DD
    recently. Unfortunately it's Disney Pooh, so it's written
    for Merkins.

    Boo! Hiss! We have the orignal EH Shepherd illustrations,
    also a story tape of The House At Pooh Corner read by Alan
    Bennett, which is superb :-)

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I remember seen an article on the local TV news about 15
    years ago about a restaurant in either Eastbourne or
    Brighton that had squirrel on the menu. The following week
    there was another article about the same restaurant,
    reporting that it had been firebombed by animal rights
    activists.

    Do they firebomb every restaurant that serves meat?
    Logically if you're going to firebomb places that serve
    swuirrel, anywhere serving free-range pork should also be
    a target.

    I guess they might have objected to the way the squirrels
    were caught and killed? Or maybe it was just because
    squirrels look cute, and so are more deserving of
    protection.

  15. Mark Thompson said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I remember seen an article on the local TV news about 15
    years ago about a restaurant in either Eastbourne or
    Brighton that had squirrel on the menu. The following
    week there was another article about the same restaurant,
    reporting that it had been firebombed by animal rights
    activists.

    Do they firebomb every restaurant that serves meat?
    Logically if you're going to firebomb places that serve
    swuirrel, anywhere serving free-range pork should also be
    a target.

    I guess they might have objected to the way the squirrels
    were caught and killed? Or maybe it was just because
    squirrels look cute, and so are more deserving of
    protection.

    Knowing Brighton it would be the latter.

    Stan Cox

    P.s. lovely day in Brighton 🙂

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Danny Colyer said:

    A restaurant that served cats, rats and pigeons
    would be doing a great civic service.

    Or target the pest that's far bigger than all the above
    combined: put humans on the menu.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick's manifesto: htmlhelp.com~nick

  17. On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:30:55 +0100, Stan Cox <[email hidden]>

    wrote in message : said:
    Quoted message said:

    or maybe it was just because squirrels look cute, and so
    are more deserving of protection.

    Quoted message said:

    Knowing Brighton it would be the latter.

    It is important always to remember to call them "tree rats"
    to avoid becoming attached to them. Maybe it would also be
    worth reminding the people of Brighton that the squirrels
    are immigrants ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  18. I said:
    Quoted message said:

    And having grown up on the edge of Ashdown Forest myself,
    it's even more
    distressing to see skunks and raccoons making repeated
    appearances.

    to which VisionSet responded:

    Quoted message said:

    Superbly educational ;-) I trust you put the record
    straight.

    I've certainly commented, but as DD is only 2 it doesn't
    seem to bother her too much yet.

    Also slightly irritating is the book about the season
    of 'fall'.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
    reply address)
    <url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/> "He who
    dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  19. Just zis Guy said:

    Boo! Hiss! We have the orignal EH Shepherd illustrations,
    also a story tape of The House At Pooh Corner read by Alan
    Bennett, which is superb :-)

    I can't be having with tapes (unless the book is read
    alongside, as a reading aid). But a book with the original
    illustrations sounds like something to look out for.

    We went to an NCT jumble sale at the end of last year in
    search of a buggy board. We didn't find a buggy board, but
    we came back with several books that caught Jenny's eye,
    including this set of 18 hardback Pooh books that looked
    quite good for learning to read. They're currently Jenny's
    first choice for bedtime stories, and they're great except
    for the Merkinisation.

    (As I write this, Jenny is 'reading' one of those very books
    to the doll that she's just put to bed).

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
    reply address)
    <url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/> "He who
    dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  20. "Michael Kent" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete White said:

    "Viktor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was pedalling merrily around Richmond park as I often
    do when a

    psychotic

    Quoted message said:

    squirrel decided to sprint across the road just in front
    of me.

    The furry bugger was out of luck and ended up going
    through my front

    spokes

    Quoted message said:

    where it jammed.

    The spinning motion of my wheel through it round and
    what followed was a bloody mess.

    Literally! I was covered in the furry rodent's blood n
    meat chunks and


    my

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    spokes took some heavy damage.

    What a mess. I mean what are the chances!? Have you had
    any encounters

    with

    Quoted message said:

    the big toothed bushy tailed critters?

    Take care...

    I've been hit by a duck (!) in Edington. Does that
    count?

    Is that Edington as in Edington, Wilts with the sign
    saying caution ducks on road, although i've yet to see one

    Cheers

    Michael

    err...

    how do I get out of this without looking stupid?!

    Pete W

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.